Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Job?

• 04-05-2002 5:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭

What was the worst job people have ever done?

I've had a few bad ones but I'd have to say telemarketing was my worst experience ever had. Straight out of college trying to sell risk assessment ****e to credit controllers. MISERY! What was everyone else's worst nightmare.

P.S. Apologies to all TMs out there I don't knwo how you do it. Respect.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yes Anything on a phone is the worst job there is i had Two jobs on the phone wont go back never never i tell you never never.

thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

aye, telesales = teh pits

I had the job over the summer of trying to convince lazy assed arrogant americans [tho some were nice] and CRAZY mixicans/russians that they did NOT want to go wo Florida, but instead wanted to go to Texas, or someother hellhole.

hell, i wont be doin telesales ever again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dunnes stores, when I was 16.

ugh, the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

"Directory Enquiries...what number do you require?"

ARRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hell on earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Does anyone here remember the guy who had to stand in the public toilets in kilkenny and ask you for money so you could use them....poor dude..i didnt pay though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Originally posted by BuffyBoy
    "Directory Enquiries...what number do you require?"

ARRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hell on earth

as someone who also did this, i understand. My line was "welcome to or***e. Cormac speaking. Which name please?" It used to drive me fecking crazy. infact i still have nightmares.

actually during and for a few months after i was known to have developed a problem controling my rage. There where just too many people ringing up just plain pissing me off. I am ok now. I am on the dole instead of stooping that low again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

as someone who also did this, i understand. My line was "welcome to or***e. Cormac speaking. Which name please?" It used to drive me fecking crazy. infact i still have nightmares.

I never got the "Which name please" myself. I thought it was a stupid script.

Work at or***e for one day told everyone on the other end i was from Ireland and hadnt got a clue of Britian. Or else i just passed them through to any old number to get them of the line. I thought the Irish were bad until i did that.

118** was the pits. No offence to anyone who works there.

Connecting you now at directory rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by The_Bullman

actually during and for a few months after i was known to have developed a problem controling my rage. There where just too many people ringing up just plain pissing me off. I am ok now. I am on the dole instead of stooping that low again.

Ah yes, the joys of working in C***sh*t ;o))

I lasted a whole month - granted I didn't actually turn up for a lot of that ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Worked at the galway races walking around picking up beer bottles and plastic cups for the whole week for **** all money, a terrible job, but it always inspired me to study harder in uni :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

back in the day I worked for a husband and wife who ran a little business, I'm sure I would have found it easier to be part of the war in Israel at the time, they never stopped fighting and would try to get you on their side, which was fatal, 'cos then the other one would have it in for you - going to work everyday with the fear in your belly is no way to live so I legged it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Worst job I ever had was door to door sales for a marketing/promotions company. Trying to sell people those £20 vouchers that give you a discount off meals at your local family restaurant. Somedays I'd do well but on bad days it was awful - having doors slammed in your face and insults hurled at you gets a bit soul destroying after a while. Since then I've been really nice to all sales people who call to my house or office - not so nice that I'll buy anything though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

I think i have one to beat all that ....

I once worked in a bakery and had to put uncooked little apple pies (you know the ones , in the little foil things) from the machine on to a tray ....sounds easy ?

They cam out at a rate of about 8 a second and 2 of us had to put them on the trays , pick them up , turn left put them down ,, pick them up , turn left put them down ,, pick them up , turn left put them down ,, pick them up , turn left put them down ,, pick them up , turn left put them down ,, pick them up , turn left put them down ,, pick them up , turn left put them down ,, pick them up , turn left put them down .... and so on for 8 bloody hours !!

i did that monday - friday for an entire summer. Some times you got to work the other end of the machine and put the little foil things in ...again 8 or so a second !!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Ah,

But thats not so bad!

Third worst Job

I worked in a fast food chain tha opened nights, and when I was new, (the new guy gets the ****e jobs) one day a woman sent he son into the toilets, and he was handicapped.
    When he came out covered in ****e, i knew there was a problem.

There was ****e on the walls, on the sink, on the floor, and everywhere. He got some ****e on his shoes and walked it throught the whole resturant.

Second Worst job

The toilet is blocked. Its the middle of the nite (no emergency plumber), and it has to be done!
    Black bag over the hand, hand down the toilet,a nd try to pull out the hand bag the theiving scumbag flushed, after robbing.

Worst Job

Some slapper from McGraths (when it was mcgraths) put her tampon in the sink (used) and ran the tap, she then held it by the thread and slapped the walls and the ceiling and the doors etc.

I got to clean it up!

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

lol, that whole post should be in the HUMOUR thread, Xterminator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I worked in an optical lab once Tinting lense's, i would put the glass in a colour bath and take it out and put it in a tray i lasted like 2 months

bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ive had a lot of crappy jobs, but the worst b yfar was staying in NEC as a produciotn operator button pusher for nearly 3 years.
    it was mind numbingly boring, soul destroying but i had to pay of an awful lot of college debts, so it was a case of sticking it as long as i could in order to pay back as much as i could,
    it was in meath as well, hence my hatred for all things meath.
    ignorant buch of people most of them.
    12 hour shifts working 7 to 7 with people who hated you because
    1) you had been to college
    2)you had done the leaving cert
    3)youwere from dublin
    4)you had a vocabulary of more than 10 words
    5)you could say an entire sentence without using the word fúck or any variations once.

i cried the day i left. i was soooo happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Not as bad as Xterminator
    BUt you know the gorgeous chicken you get from huper**cs
    and such like , I had the job of gutting them with my fingers,
    well my thumb for an entire summer in the stinking heat. And it
    did stink

Heat + chicken guts = Gaggingly bad
    Heat + chicken guts + A buckfast hangover = Cure for alcos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Worst Job

I was a Traffic Warden.

I got fed up of all the abuse form people, and of course the death threats and the beatings etc.

Worst 6 months ever.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Worst job....

Working in a pub behind the bar doing summer work.. in a seaside resort, the pub was the biggest sh**hole on the face of the planet. The manager was a raving alcoholic and when the owner used to come around the manager was wither pissed, stoned or AWOL and there were 3 of us who were no more than 19 trying to run the bloody place and cover for him..

Each nite, 7 nites a week for 3 months they had the same bands or lads playing guitars and singing badly, very badly... 60 - 70 hour weeks, no air conditioning, smoke filled pub, scumbags loaded with drink trying to scam another one off ya without paying, screaming kids starting fights and thrown drink or crisps all over the place...

Start at 10am in the morning work till 4pm... break till 7pm, back to work till 2am (or 3 if there was a bar extension) and the back in the next morning at 10.. 6 days a week for 3-4 months.. for £2.50 an hour for 5 f**king summers... was I mad.??????????

started when I was 14, had to leave when I was 19.. couldnt take anymore..

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I was dead broke one summer in Greece and lived for a while by stealing crates of empty beer bottles from pubs and selling them to small shops for money or food. Not really a job but it paid the bills, or rather it didn't...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    back in the day I worked for a husband and wife who ran a little business, I'm sure I would have found it easier to be part of the war in Israel at the time, they never stopped fighting and would try to get you on their side, which was fatal, 'cos then the other one would have it in for you - going to work everyday with the fear in your belly is no way to live so I legged it.

Hehe. Were they all different when the local priest called in for a packet of smarties?:D

"Oh, hello, Father Ted. Three bags full Father Ted"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Distributing promotional concessions for a nightclub throughout pubs in Dublin.

Apart from the miles and miles of walking from pub to pub, in high poxy heels, potentially in the rain, there was the chat up lines - "I'll go if you'll be there" (yeah yeah, after handing out leaflets for the kip I'm going to go to it and spend the few paltry pennies I've made handing out these things... nah), the reaction from the bouncers, the barstaff shouting at you not to leave them on the tables, and then there was the arse-pinching.

There really is nothing worse than coming home from work with the black-and-blue crescent moons of someone elses fingernails on your arse.

*eeeeep*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

There really is nothing worse than coming home from work with the black-and-blue crescent moons of someone elses fingernails on your arse.

You ungrateful Jezebel! :)

Some people would pay good money for that kinda service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    ...., and then there was the arse-pinching.

*eeeeep*

I think you will find that was Kharn :P

kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Elmo
    Yes Anything on a phone is the worst job there is i had Two jobs on the phone wont go back never never i tell you never never.
    Yep, I hear that ;)
    Tech support scared me away from any job involving a telephone of any description.
    Booo hisss....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

2nd worst

I spent a month stripping doors of paint, the oldfashioned way - Nitrimors and scrapers. All the doors were original to the church - about 70 years old so 10 layers of paint easy. And Nitro is foul stuff, burns the hell out of any exposed flesh and the fumes would leave your head pounding.

Absolute worst

six weeks renovating a section of the Players cigarette factory. Starting as the day shift finished about 5pm and working till 1 or 2 am.

Can you imagine the amount of nicotine and tar on the walls and ceiling, all of which had to be washed off prior to painting. Of course the wash water would run down your arms and the nicotine would absord into the skin just like a patch, or rather about 50 patches - none of us slept for about two weeks we were so buzzed on the nicotine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    Worst job....

Working in a pub behind the bar doing summer work.. in a seaside resort, the pub was the biggest sh**hole on the face of the planet.

Ah, another one who has been lucky enough never to go through the doors of the Shamrock bar in Playa Del Ingles (Canaries). Now that wins the "Biggest $hithole on the face of the pub world -- ever" award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Borzoi
    Of course the wash water would run down your arms and the nicotine would absord into the skin just like a patch, or rather about 50 patches - none of us slept for about two weeks we were so buzzed on the nicotine.
    Interesting... were you a smoker at the time?
    Or did you have any urges to smoke after the nicotene wore off?
    Personally I'd have run off to the doctors office, nicotene overdose can be fatal I'm told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Quoth Santahoe
    Interesting... were you a smoker at the time?
    Or did you have any urges to smoke after the nicotene wore off?
    Personally I'd have run off to the doctors office, nicotene overdose can be fatal I'm told.

No, I wasn't a smoker then ( am part time now) but I did work with smokers. Most were not affected by the nicotine as badly as the non-smokers, but none of them cut down or reduced their smokin. I had no urge to start at the time or any period immediately after. All of which would tend to indicate that the nicotine in the fags is not nearly as addictive as the smoking process,

AFAIK Nicotine is used as a pesticide. But in the circumctances, had the symptoms gone beyond sleeplessness ie to include vomiting, yeah I would have seen a doc. Actually now that I remember one of the guys did, just get some sleeping tabs.

Advertisement