Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool's ins and outs this Summer?

• 04-05-2002 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I know that there are a lot of 'Pool fans on the Boards, so who do you think/hope will be coming in or leaving this Summer?

Brett Emerton, Djibril Cisse/Anelka and Harry Kewell all seem to be being touted as the players GH is after with the general concensus being that Smicer, Barmby and Berger going. I think that if there are three midfielders going then there may be one more midfielder coming in. I would like to see;

IN:
    Cisse
    Emerton
    Duff
    Mendieta

OUT:
    Smicer
    Barmby
    Berger

and Ritchie Partridge getting a run in the first team. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Out

Smicer.
    possibly Berger

Dunno about Barmby but I DO know that 2 very good wingers are needed badly.
    Duff sez he's gonna stay for his last 2 years with B/Burn.
    Me thinks giving Richie a proper run out in the Premiership would be better in the long run.

In

Cisse over Anelka.
    If he's gonna act the prat and look for 60K/week better to buy Cisse.

Mendiata's had a poor season with his new club. He'd be a great buy but dunno if I can see it happening.

I'm hoping GH gets in some good cover for our 2 centres' cos our current crop just cant cut it when Henchoz n Hyppia are having a "off day" ((not very often but it does happen))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Smicer will definately go , Duff might come in if he can show his worth at the world cup and the price is right.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I also think Heskey should go but I doubt if he will. Anelka should be offloaded if he or his brothers are gonna mess about. It's his loss. I would like to see Duff on LFC squad.

Has anyone heard the rumours month or so ago about Overmars coming to LFC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Out
    Smicer
    Berger
    Diomede
    Biscan
    Heggem
    Vignal
    McAllister

In
    Duff or Overmars
    Cisse
    Emerton
    La Tallec & Sinama-Pongolle (or are they next season?)
    Me

There was a few more I've heard about, can't think who now.

Smicer & Berger just don't cut it. I dont want Biscan to go, I think he's an excellent player but he's not getting the chance he deserves at Liverpool. Diomede is a joke. Heggem? Meh. I'm not sure about Vignal, he may well be a good prospect, I've not seen much of him. McAllister will take up a management or coaching position somewhere.

We need some decent wingers, i.e. Duff/Overmars & Emerton (how good is he?). We have the central midfield sorted, but with Redknapp gone, maybe someone to fill in as cover for the cover. Cisse would and should take over from Heskey. I don't care how good Heskey is at 'holding up the ball' etc. a strikers job is to score goals. Don't know anything at all about the Frenchies, theyre only 17 or something so I wouldnt expect much from them for a few years at least.

I'm examining the 40k/week offer on the table at the moment, but considering my other options before signing ;]

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

hee ,hee.......think you'll have to pay G.H. 100k/week to
    let u play in reserves..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Originally posted by PiE
    Out

Smicer & Berger just don't cut it. I dont want Biscan to go, I think he's an excellent player but he's not getting the chance he deserves at Liverpool. Diomede is a joke. Heggem? Meh. I'm not sure about Vignal, he may well be a good prospect, I've not seen much of him. McAllister will take up a management or coaching position somewhere.

Biscan and Vignal have been mentioned by Houllier recently as players that we will see more of next season, so they will prolly be staying, Diomede is another I forgot about he's gone too I'd say and McAllister is the new Coventry boss.
    We need some decent wingers, i.e. Duff/Overmars & Emerton (how good is he?). We have the central midfield sorted, but with Redknapp gone, maybe someone to fill in as cover for the cover. Cisse would and should take over from Heskey. I don't care how good Heskey is at 'holding up the ball' etc. a strikers job is to score goals. Don't know anything at all about the Frenchies, theyre only 17 or something so I wouldnt expect much from them for a few years at least.

I'm examining the 40k/week offer on the table at the moment, but considering my other options before signing ;] [/B]

AFAIK Cisse remains GH's main target as a striker but apparently Anelka's brothers have come to their senses and dropped the mad demands they were making from £60k a week to around £45k which LFC are willing to pay for a striker of his ability.
    Le Tallec and Sinama-Pongolle will be coming in 2003 and look like they could be two very important signings for Liverpool;

Florent Sinama-Pongolle

Position : Forward

Date of birth : 20 October, 1984

Team : Le Havre(France)

Nationality : France

Notes : Scored six goals at the 2001 European U/16 Championships but France lost 1-0 in the final to Spain. They still qualified for the 2001 World U/17 Championships. Teamed well up front with club teammate Le Tallec. Similar player to current French international Nicolas Anelka. After an alliance between Le Havre and Liverpool, Sinama-Pongolle and Le Tallec agreed to join Liverpool in 2003. Broke the record with nine goals and was named as the best player as he helped France win the World U/17 Championships in 2001.

Anthony Le Tallec

Position : Forward

Date of birth : 3 October, 1984

Team : Le Havre (France)

Nationality : France

Notes : Scored five goals at the 2001 European U/16 Championships but this was not enough for France to win the tournament, losing 1-0 to Spain in the final. Teamed well up front with club teammate Sinama-Pongolle. Spent a period on trial at Arsenal. After an alliance between Le Havre and Liverpool, Sinama-Pongolle and Le Tallec agreed to join Liverpool in 2003. Scored 3 goals and won the Silver Ball as second best player behind Sinama-Pongolle as he helped France win the 2001 World U/17 Championships.

The future's bright the future's RED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Vignall is only 20 yrs old and is a player that GH believes has big future at the Pool, so I dont think he's going anywhere- He only cost 500k so they're not looking to recoup an investment or anything like that, unlike some other dead wood, namely Smicer.

The latest transfer target according to KopTalk is Barry Ferguson of Rangers- dont think too much of him myself, TBH.
    I would like to see Duff come into the team though:)

Oh yea, McAllister already left didnt he? Forgot that :]

Yea, Ferguson, but he's said he doesnt want to leave Rangers so that kinda rules him out.

Thanks for the info on Pongolle & Le Tallec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Hmmm dunno If Id like to see Duff go to Liverpool, hes a good player but Anfield seems to have developed a habit over the past few years of sucking up young, up and coming Irish players and spitting out players whose careers are in free fall - McAteer is the only one who seems to have recovered since.

As for Cisse, Ive heard hes got half his goals from his team mate Kapo and isnt as impressive without him - seeing as LFC already have a fast striker with good finishing maybe they should be looking at Kapo instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

does anyone know anything about that Lille playmaker that LFC are having talks with?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Just an observation.

There hasnt been any indication from Damian Duff that he would be willing to consider asking for a transfer to Liverpool.

And Blackburn say he's not for sale at any price!

He has european football to look forward to next year, and Graham Souness has a nice kitty to spend strenghting Blackburn this summer, ( Dwight York would be a nice start!)

So while he might be on your wish list, , you probably have a better chance of landing Overmars and Kewell.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

out:

Hamann
    Dudek
    Owen
    Gerrard
    Hyypia
    Henchoz
    Anelka

in:

Goater
    Berkovic
    Huckerby
    Akinbiyi
    Marlet
    Howey

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭pookster

Duff and Overmars definitely won't be coming to Anfield. Not Liverpools style at the moment. We play attacking fullbacks and defensive midfielders bar one. Big man (Heskey) up front along with Owen.
    Thats the sad fact. Liverpool go for the North Europeans like Germans, Norwegian and Finnish. They are highly efficient and clinical.
    On the other hand Arsenal go for the French and Africans. Plenty of flair.
    While Houllier is in charge I doubt things will change. Fair enough with me as long as the big cups come our way.

Cheyrou is an attacking player and no-one could question Anelka's attacking abilities.

Houllier's stance from the start is that he will adapt his style of play to suit the players he has available to him, if you remember he started out playing with a 5-3-2 formation.

I think he will bring in players in the summer to give him more attacking options on the wings and allow him to play a more traditional and flexible 4-4-2 formation than the narrow diamond shape that the team has been taking of late.

Thats just my opinion like ;)

I'd agree with that^

It's obvious that all the team needs is a coupla decent attacking options on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by bucks73
    out:

Hamann
    Dudek
    Owen
    Gerrard
    Hyypia
    Henchoz
    Anelka

in:

Goater
    Berkovic
    Huckerby
    Akinbiyi
    Marlet
    Howey

;)

What are you talking about. Look who you want to get rid of. Jesus Hamann, Dudek, Owen, Gerrard, Hyypia, Henchoz, Anelka. You don't watch footie much do you? Those players happen to be part of what turned Liverpool around after Roy "mousie" Evans was sacked. Like to see Duff, Cisse, and Overmars come in but the first to seem the most likely. As for outs I'd definately let Smicer, Vignal go.

Y'see that smiley face there Jonno? Have a guess what that means...*

* if.sarcasm=1 () disregard.post ; probability.of(sarcasm)=0.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Originally posted by The_Scary_Man

and Ritchie Partridge getting a run in the first team. :)

i really hope he gets it
    but the compition is fierce for a frist team place in the mid field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

What are you talking about. Look who you want to get rid of. Jesus Hamann, Dudek, Owen, Gerrard, Hyypia, Henchoz, Anelka. You don't watch footie much do you?

Ha ha ha.

Some people just have no sense oh humour. :p:p

• Advertisement
    byte

Looking at SkyText, Anelka claims that LFC and PSG have agreed a fee for him. It's just the wage demands that now need to be sorted.

http://www.livescore.net/default.dll/gotoNews?ID=3&ArticleID=FB2000109

Salif Diao eh? Never heard of him :]

As I write this Liverpool 2-1 Blackburn

Anelka scored second, w00t :]

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

i'd love to see Duff go to Liverpool! he is a great player full of promise! As for the Irish player comment that was made that irish players and liverpool! Souness ruined LFC and he is doin it with Blackburn now aswell. he plays the players for a while and then freezes them out!! right example

- Alan Kelly
    who would you pick Alan Kelly or Brad Friedal - AH Kelly anyday plz!!!!

-Jeff Kenna
    he was frozen out of blackburn - now 2 months after leaving Blackburn he is captain of Birmingham

he also sold all the irish players out of liverpool! Staunton and the lot!!!

Duff will go to Man U!! they will play him out on the left and put giggs up front with Van Nistel-****e!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I looks like Anelkas' move to Anfield will be completed any day now at £30,000 a week, rather than the 60k his brothers wanted.

Senagal Midfielder Salif Diao from French side Sedan is also on his way in a few weeks.

It looks like Houliers penchant for clinical, effecient north Europeans might be on the wane!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Vert

I really think you lot have been hard on Smicer...
    He isn't the toughest midfielder we have but he isn't afraid to run at people.....sometimes..(mainly a Home) we struggled to brake the teams down who were happy for us to play the counter attack... I just came back from the 5-0 trashing of Ipswich were Smicer was amazing...
    I think he should stay..but Berger should move on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Also papers are reporting this morning that GH is going to decide within the next week weather to buy Anelka or not. If he decides not to go for him, papers are reporting he'll sign Kanuote for 9.5mill.

I think he should go for Kanuote.
    Anelka has a proven record for causing trouble.

I'll admit, Smicer has played well in the last few games he's played (notching up a few goals along the way) but he's still not pulling his weight in the defensive duties and he's absolutely muck when he has a bad game. He played well against Ipswich on Saturday, thats true but... Ipwsich arent exactly Champions League material are they? (NB: Understatement of the Year, thus far).

Houllier has said that he's taking a week out to consider all his options before sealing the Anelka deal. All the terms and fees are sorted, just up to him now to "make the right choice for Liverpool".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Thats one hell of a list, where will they get that sort of cash :p

/being sarcastic

• Advertisement

I hope M.Houlier takes a chance and signs Anelka, sure he's a risk
    but he'll add a whole new (and much needed) dimension to the attack, then just Damien Duff to sign....:D

Mike.

byte

Originally posted by mike65
    I hope M.Houlier takes a chance and signs Anelka, sure he's a risk
    but he'll add a whole new (and much needed) dimension to the attack, then just Damien Duff to sign....:D

Mike.

...and Marc Overmars and Djibril Cisse! :D

Originally posted by irishbyte

...and Marc Overmars and Djibril Cisse! :D

I don't think Cisse will be signing for the pool this season. Hes said he wants to stay in France for another year. Although he's a man for banging in goals!!

Marc Overmars could happen since Louis Van Gaal has taken over at barca last week. He wants to ditch a load of players including Rivaldo why I don't understand!

Bruno Cheyrou transfer completed £3.8m apparently. He'll be joining the squad on June 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by spanner_head

He wants to ditch a load of players including Rivaldo why I don't understand!

They dont get along with each other. Kluivert might be gone too after all he did make some comments about Van Gaal and how he coached the Dutch team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

From an Irish point of view, id like to see young Partridge get a game once in a while..

• Advertisement

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/020521/285/czdmv.html

Another rumour quashed....

Robbie Keane to join..?, another rumour started! :D

Mike.

That's good news for me as a Barce fan.
    Anybody know why Liverpool didnt want Anelka?

I don't think Houllier ever really wanted to make Anelka's transfer permanent. It appears he was just a stop-gap-solution with the departure of Fowler.

From Onefootball.com

Liverpool complete £5m Diao swoop

Liverpool have completed the signing of Senegal midfielder Salif Diao for a fee of £5 million. The former Sedan star was a key player as Senegal reached the final of the African Nations Cup in Mali in February.

Diao had already signed a pre-contract deal with the Reds, and the deal has been finalised after the re-opening of the French transfer window, according to L'Equipe.

After choosing not to pursue their interest in forward Nicolas Anelka, Liverpool have also been linked with Diao's international colleague El Hadji Diouf, and their intetrest in Senegal's rising stars comes as no surprise to national coach Bruno Metsu.

"People are getting to know El Hadji Diouf and he's a great talent about whom people will be talking after the World Cup," he said last week.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 steveo255

In; Veiri
    DelPiero
    Maldini
    Out; Smicer
    Murphy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭prenton

The Senegal striker El Hadji Diouf looked very handy, hes only 21.
    £9 mil before the WC, will be closer to £15 mil after if he keeps playing like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭prenton

well spotted there Ged Houllier mate. Nice bit of business for the Pool.
    Just have to think of a song now that rhymes with El Hadji Diouf :rolleyes:
    Got Diouf
    In this World Cup I'll mostly be supporting Senegal ;)

Originally posted by prenton
    well spotted there Ged Houllier mate. Nice bit of business for the Pool.
    Just have to think of a song now that rhymes with El Hadji Diouf :rolleyes:
    Got Diouf
    In this World Cup I'll mostly be supporting Senegal ;)

Yes!!! Well done GH. Spotted sensational talent there.

Diao, Diouf...and Cisse too eventually, not that we saw much of him in todays game.

Its all too much :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Guy Incognito

Won't Liverpool have to offload some non-EU players if they're getting those two Senegalese talents?

Good old Championship Manager shows that Smicer, Biscan, Baros and Dudek are the current ones in the squad. Houillier won't have those 4 and the 2 from Senegal in the squad, will he?

Oooh Diouf looked yummy in that match vs France. Cant really say the same for Diao though, he gave the ball away a bit too much.
    Diouf 'delighted' to be joining Liverpool

Date: 31/5/2002

El Hadji Diouf has confirmed that he will be joining Liverpool after the World Cup and has spoken of his delight at joining the club, just moments after leading Senegal to a historic victory over France this afternoon.

Diouf was the man of the match as he ran the French defence ragged, and the African Footballer of the Year set up the only goal of the game after leaving Frank Lebouef for dead.

Afterwards he said: "I am delighted to be joining Liverpool. I want to become one of the best players in the world and I'm sure that at Liverpool, with a great coach like Gerard Houllier, I can do that."

Mmm delish.

Originally posted by Guy Incognito
    Won't Liverpool have to offload some non-EU players if they're getting those two Senegalese talents?

He might have French as a second nationality seeing as Senegal used to be a French colony. Which would nicely avoid the non-EU player problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Thanks for that RR, I thought it had gone but was'nt entierly sure.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Guy Incognito

Handy for Liverpool anyway. Cheers for the info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement