Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry folks, I've let you down! (but redeemed myself)

Options
  • 04-05-2002 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Charlie Flanagan's FG cronnies came to the door a few minutes ago canvassing. I told them I wasn't voting, neither were any of my friends, that we're all disillusioned with every politician and political party in the country and that they could go to hell.

Closed the door in their face and then realised I'd forgotten to mention Ireland Offline, the internet or give them a leaflet. S**T! Sorry folks, I promise I won't make the same mistake with the next lot that come to the door. It's just that I was so angry and worked up and needed someone to give out too! lol

Anyway, I do have his e-mail address so I'll send him one and bring up the whole internet issue with him and post any response I get up here.

Once again folks, sorry for letting the side down. I promise not to do it again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Don't worry, just remember to sell our cause next time. To be honest I can't blame you, I often feel like doing it myself.

On a brighter note, I bent Deridre Heney, Procis De Rossa, Ruiri Quinn, Ivor Calley and Derek Mc Dowell ear. Have I mention I have been busy, I sent them on our usual propaganda stuff, our election leflet, I bugged them when the where waiting outside the church, I have phoned them and generally just tried my best to be a pain in the ass.

I got a fairly positive response from most of them, although I was disappointed with Mr De Rossa's reponse. I was push the European Regulatory Framework thing, he seems to more interested in social just. Anyway just to let you guys note I am fighting the good fight ...

Lets annoy the hell out to these b**tards !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Sean Fleming (FF) and his brother came to the door a few minutes ago. Gave him a leaflet, told him about Ireland Offline (which he'd never heard about but his brother has), told him all about IOFFL and their goals, explained to him how Eircom are holding the country to ransom and preventing SME's and teleworkers from doing business and holding back the economy as a whole, told him about his colleague Mary O' Rourke's refusal to include the flat-rate amendment in the Comms Bill and told him that we need flat-rate NOW as a priority and broadband to be rolled out across the whole country, not just Dublin, as quick as possible after that.

As soon as I mentioned broadband he asked, "Do you have ISDN?" I then went on to give him an education in how ISDN is just two phone lines stuck together (okay, I know it's more complicated than that but there's no point getting technical with the guy and totally confusing him!) and not proper broadband access and that Eircom are fooling the country into thinking it is. He said he'd check out the IOFFL website to find out all the details and get back to me.

So, after my major balls up with Charlie Flanagan today, have I redeemed myself? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Great stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Just merged the two threads.

Certainly redeemed yourself Aidan :)

So far no-ones called looking for my vote (at all). Normally I never answer the doorbell (on the grounds that if it's important or someone I know, they'll phone) - I've been answering the door every time lately (the census lady honestly thought there was no-one living there until last night)

Dammit, politos, knock. Let me abuse you.

Christ my spelling is awful ...

I should really put in my contact lenses before posting nonsense ...

Have you noticed they all wait outside mass on sunday, whats up with that ? What I wanted to say was that Mr De Rossa seemed more interested in Social justice ... damn him !!!! :D

Anyway, i have got the taste for it now, I almost feel like like going out and hunting them down ... A T.D. preditor almost ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

In my opinion Aidan can only redeem himself if he goes out and votes and gets his friends to do so.

In my view, the present government has made a balls of the telecoms issue (not to mention housing, healthcare, traffic....).

Unhappy with the way things are? Vote in the opposition. Otherwise it is status quo, no possibility of change whatsoever.

Not voting is a cop out, and it favours the encumbant. If nothing else go to the bother of spoiling your vote. It seems that you are not apathetic; you are dissatisfied with the choices available.

Originally posted by Yoda
    It seems that you are not apathetic; you are dissatisfied with the choices available.

That's true. If I felt there was a party/TD worth voting for, I would, but they are all the bloody same as far as I can see.

The politicians wonder why there is apathy amongst young voters. Well, every single one of them are in it for their own gain and the young people can clearly see this and are totally pi$$ed off with it. Maybe some of the older voters can't or have been blinded by all this political bull$hit for so long they don't even realise it, by the young people of today's Ireland can see it, are pi$$ed off by it and will not stand for it.

I'm going to be honest here and say that I've changed my mind. I will vote but only for a party or TD who really looks like they are in touch with the people and show genuine concern for the issues we are raising with them and promise that they will definitely sort out this whole mess. Unfortunately, none of the politicians or canvassers I've met so far have convinced me enough to vote for them.

If they want to get myself, my friends and all the other pi$$ed off young people in this country to get out and vote, they are going to have to do a much better job of convincing us that it's actually worth our time to go and vote. So far, because they all seem to be the same, we don't feel that there's any point voting because no matter who gets into government, it won't make any difference. They really need to convince us otherwise and, as I said, so far none of them has convinced me to get up off my ar$e and tick those boxes. When a party/TD comes along and makes a strong enough point, then I'll vote. Otherwise, they can all $hag off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    If I felt there was a party/TD worth voting for, I would, but they are all the bloody same as far as I can see.

I don't think they are. Manifestos are a load of codswollop, perhaps, but they give an indication of intention, I believe. Fianna Fáil seems to think that everthing is hunky-dory and that we should reward them for how well we all live. But we don't all live so well, now, do we? Labour and Fine Gael and the Greens are all, clearly, wishing to address some of the serious problems we have in Ireland. Will they succeed? I'd like to see them given the chance. It's a safe bet that they will actually strive to do something to address the problems. Fianna Fáil wants to build a stadium. Reminds me of Gladiator -- keep the masses entertained and they will forget about the real problems.

As far as the Progressive Democrats are concerned, in my view, they deserve credit for most of the decent legislation we've had in the present government.
    The politicians wonder why there is apathy amongst young voters. Well, every single one of them are in it for their own gain and the young people can clearly see this and are totally pi$$ed off with it. Maybe some of the older voters can't or have been blinded by all this political bull$hit for so long they don't even realise it, by the young people of today's Ireland can see it, are pi$$ed off by it and will not stand for it.

Right, young voter. Then exercise your vote and vote for change. Give the opposition a chance. Look at the polls (with a fistfull of salt, I admit). If the encumbant (who does not satisfy you) is seen to fail, give a chance to the opposition. A pendulum swing is often healthy.

Do not disenfranchise yourself by not voting. Your friends too.
    I'm going to be honest here and say that I've changed my mind. I will vote but only for a party or TD who really looks like they are in touch with the people and show genuine concern for the issues we are raising with them and promise that they will definitely sort out this whole mess. Unfortunately, none of the politicians or canvassers I've met so far have convinced me enough to vote for them.

I'm glad to hear that. Read the manifestos. You seem bright enough (I'm not trying to patronize; it's an expression) to weed through the guff and see at least what the intention of the parties is. I've done this and to me at least it's clear that the opposition feels, as I do, that the encumbant has failed us and they want to try something else. I say give 'em a chance.
    If they want to get myself, my friends and all the other pi$$ed off young people in this country to get out and vote, they are going to have to do a much better job of convincing us that it's actually worth our time to go and vote.

You're lucky enough to have a vote. Millions don't. Think on that. Don't waste your chance to make yourself heard. Apathy does not effect change.
    So far, because they all seem to be the same, we don't feel that there's any point voting because no matter who gets into government, it won't make any difference.

If you don't like the way the pendulum is swinging, vote to push it in another direction. You can make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Getting really OT now, but my opinion on the matter is:

You have no valid complaint against the government unless you cast a vote. If you don't vote, you can't complain.

If the people you vote for fail, then you can complain about them, if they're great, then you can feel happy you put them there.

If you don't want to vote for anybody in your constituency, then go and spoil your vote.

People died to get our own parliment (all be it incomplete....) so not using the opportunity to have your say (or even spoliling your say) is down right irresponsible. IMHO. (no offence)

You have no valid complaint against the government unless you cast a vote. If you don't vote, you can't complain.

Very well put Timod. Not excercising your vote is the greatest form of apathy. All Irish sing song lamenting the passing of our fallen heros like Collins, Padriag Pearse etc, there is a great patrotism in this country for this country, but people never really associate it here with the political system, not like in France or Germany. Our fallen comrades for good or ill bought us our freedom and rights/privilages that freedom grants us such as voting.

You are pissed with them, then let them bloody know about it. You are angry enough to vent here, well don't vent here, vent at them. You pay their wages, break down their doors, annoy the hell out of them, make them sick of the sight of you. Would you feel emarassed, is your/our cause not a just one, why be embarrassed for fighting for a just cause. Christ even Dublin Taxi drivers, a union without a leg to stand on, a completely unjust cause, got the backing of several politicans ...

It works, we all have seen it work, only last week a nurse camped on the doorsteps on the Eastern Health Board, to get the type of care she wanted for her son (not the incidentily the Doctors recommended), she was there four days and got what she wanted ...

I suppose I am the one who is venting now, I can understand where people are comming from when they express absolute frustration with the political system and that frustration turns to apathy. I say turn your frustration to anger and make them earn their thirty bloody pieces of silver ...

Ok enough self-righteos twaddle from me .

• Advertisement

Some of the people here have said that they will vote for the opposition parties because they are unhappy with Fianna Fail, feel they have made a balls-up of everything and want a change. They are hoping that by getting a different party in government things will happen and seem to have this mentality that "a change is as good as a rest."

Well, I'm sorry, but I am not going to vote for the opposition just for the sake of a change. I agree that FF have made a balls-up of a lot of things over the past five years, particularly in the whole area of telecoms/internet, and that I will not be voting for them. But I sure as hell am not going to vote for FG or Labour or anyone else just for the sake of a change. I will vote for whoever looks like they will actually do things, not just for the sake of getting FF out of government. And if none of them look like they are going to do anything, I won't vote at all. As I said, I WILL NOT vote just for the sake of a change or to give "the other" guy a chance. We cannot afford to be giving other parties "a chance" or a "tryout" and then chuck them out five years down the line if we're not happy with them. Who knows what state the country would be in five years down the road. This is not like that awful jumper Auntie Maisie gave you for Christmas so you decide to change it for something nicer. We're slipping backwards as it is and we can't afford to loose time trying out the various parties until we find one we're all happy with and who gets things done.

I've read the various manifestos and, so far, none of them have been impressive enough to even encourage me to vote, let alone vote for any particular party. They all seem to be offering the same things but with very little conviction, to be honest. If I was to be pushed, at this stage the Greens are looking the best bet to me but, even then, their manifesto isn't that impressive. The one thing they seem to have going for them above the other parties, though, is that they seem to be more in touch with the average Joe Soap on the street more than the others and do have a determination to get things done. It's just a pity their manifesto seems to read like so many of the others and they don't seem to be offering anything more substantial. However, despite this, I think that they would be the party who would most likely push to achieve the promises they've laid out, more so than any of the other "clone" parties.

I think that the one thing that really pi$$es off myself and most of the other young, apathetic voters is something Sean Fleming said to me the other day when I brought up the whole internet thing with him. He said, "Well, if we get back in government we'll do..... blah, blah, blah." Well, I'm sorry Sean but I want you to fight and push for the various issues whether you are in government or not. This whole thing of saying you'll do this, that and the other provided we give you your vote and you get back into government is not on. Basically what you are saying when you say that is, "Get me back into government, I'll see what I can do. If you don't, go to hell. I won't do anything for you."

I will vote for a politician who promises that, even if they don't get into government, they will continue to hastle the government on all the various issues until something is done. I have a vote but I will not have conditions put on that vote. So far they've all said that they will do this, that and the other "if we get into government." Well, that won't get you my vote. If you say you will do everything in your power to get issues raised and tackled whether you're in government or not then you're a lot closer to getting my vote, and the vote of a lot of the apathetic voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭212.2.179.66

All you have to do is treat them like Jehovah witnesses and close the door in their faces. Easy

Aidan,

OMG that was long post :D Anyway I completely empathise with you, the general impression I got from your posts have been that you will only vote for a politican who gets excited about the issues you raise. If no-one gets excited enough to convince you to vote for them, you just won't vote at all. Is that a fair summing up of your stance ?

However, I still feel that not voting at all is the worst thing you can do. If you can't find a politican in your area who is taking you serious on a particular subject, you have some choices

1. You can forget about that issue in the short term and concentrate on who is going to tackle your next most important issue, car insurance, quality of life, housing, health care etc.

2. You can find the politican who was most sympathetic to you grievances and seek to educate them. I send them on literature and turn up at their surgeries, that type of thing.

The Irish breed of politican in my small expierence doesn't get excited about things very easily, he/she is not going to get excited enough to hassle people into implementing change on his/her own, unless someone else in their area hassles them into doing something.

I suppose what I am driving at is, if they aren't interested, you have to make them interested. Its not an ideal situation, but if we must operate in the circumstances, we will.

Advertisement