Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gain & Gator & Other spyware/adware crap.

• 04-05-2002 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

gain.jpg

I returned to my computer to find Gain had got itself installed on my system, i'm presuming it got installed
    with my getright client... What do you guys think of the way Gain can advertise on any users computers, and
    maybe even steal resources, or private information...

Dont get me wrong, I dont mind a banner on a website, or the banners on KaZaA and on other software titles
    it gives the developers more incentive to carry on designing great programs. But i simply dont understand
    the merit of the Gain program... , it's described as a 'usefull tool' but i cant see anyone downloading the
    program off their own backs, so instead they hide it in other applications... This is wrong!.

I dont like the fact that some Developers *cough* Sharman Networks *cough* kazaa *cough* sneak
    these little programs into , what would have been a GREAT program. I think they have made themselves
    a very un-trustworthy name in the p2p business.

What are your views/opinions? , have you had experiences with sneakily installed programs, or advertising
    programs such as gain/gator that 0wn 25% of your desktop with popup ads every so often?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Check Ms apps / OS forum, people were discussing about it there a lil back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Get AdAware from here to get rid of them.

http://www.lsfileserv.com/

I found over 100 spyware files on my PC :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

58 found here! :) nice un.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

AdAware rocks! (as they say)

Also detects nasty cookies and other undesirables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I found around 330 spyware files. ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

only found 1.

i feel so left out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Ooh only found 2! I feel special!:) Nice program!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Good article about Ad-Aware on Salon. Also some letters about the article.

adam

Advertisement