Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My CDRW won't write or erase CdRWs!

• 04-05-2002 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Freecom CDRW model no. FC RW 8432-11
    which is x8 write x4 rewrite x32 read.

At some point it stopped being able to read or write
    re-writable disks (I'm using Memorex brand).

When i try to erase contents my software says CD is dirty or damaged neither of which is the case. The disks wont write
    they just spin and spin and the software freezes. After which the drive wont work for anything, until pc rebooted.

It will work with write-once disks.

Anyone else ever had trouble like this?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Ahd an almost similar problem with an Aopen 20x Burner except that it couldnt Write to CD-r. kept getting a "Medium Speed Error" but the problem was sorted when i changed the brand o CD I was using. Funny as teh Cd's that stopped working were the ones I had been using ever since getting the drive.
    Try a idff Brand I've had problems with Memorex before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Same problem with Memorex brand CDRWs.

Recommendation same as above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I had wondered in the past if the CDs were to blame and at this point I still dont know but I think I'll give another brand a go, I also wonder about these high capacity disks, the 700mb/80mins
    ones, are they more prone to problems?

Mike.

Wouldn't have thought so - the thing is for the extra 41 megs you get (after formatting - 571megs as opposed to 530), is it worth the hassle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nocter

could it be a software problem... try changing ur software..... Try clone cd or nero or easy cd creator....

U might be able to download (if u have a fast connection eg. college or work or easy cd creator..) at

( removed, no warez links please )

That is what i would try

• Advertisement

I treid the software route, Adaptec came with the drive and I gave
    CD Mate a go but exactly the same.

I think its the disks. I know all hardware manufacturers recommend certain brands (Kodak, Ricoh and TDK for Freecom)
    but why should it matter?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 WD40

I use Nero to erase my cdrw discs as Adaptec will not.
    Reports bad/damaged media regardless of brand.
    Drive is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I had a similar prob with the next freecom up.. the 12x-10x-32x
    (its basically an NEC drive!)

I could write to a cdr but a CDRW would not even give me the option to erase.. would not see it.. i think this even got worse until even readin a disk it would just spin.. hmm anyway i reseated the cables and it did not fix.. i have it conencted to a promise ultra 66 card and so changed to the spare channel... worked fine after that! So try it.. move it to the other ide channel as a test.. btw that channel DOES work for other devices.. hmmm strange!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peterp

Hi MIke,

In relation to your CDRW problem.

Have you changed the type of "CDRW media" you are using recently ??

It is known that some drives do not work well with certain types of media..

For example,
    try using a Verbatim, Octron or Mr Data CDRW disk to see if they work..

Only a suggestion mind you..

Rgds,

Peter P.

tried a nice new pack of "Mr Data" CDRWs in my drive over the weekend after the wasted time on the Memorex discs. Worked perfectly. to each his own obviously, but this is a brand I find reliable (and cheap:cool:)

• Advertisement

This thread has legs! ;)

About trying different brands, well I will just as soon as I can get to the shops!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

could try a different ASPI layer - i find this very good when im having trouble burning

Or do a web search for "forceaspi" (ver 1.7) - refreshes the parts other aspi layers don't.:D

Advertisement