Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elitist Groups at CTYI?

Options
  • 17-04-2002 9:47am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Hold on a sec!

What da Fu?!
    there becomes a point where people don't bother too much with CTYI.

You are joking right?
    Has CTYI changed that much since i've last been there?????
    Hmmm????

CTYI is life altering. I don't know about you people but CTYI is and always will be paradise to be. Bad times or good. No place has had a bigger influence on my life. I've a feeling none else will. There's no atmosphere like a CTYI one.
    Fine it's all a matter of opinion but i'm still shocked by such a statement.
    CTYI will be with me forever. There's no WAY that i'll not "bother too much with CTYI"...

I'm on a ranting roll this morning me thinks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

ctyi is life altering - but like all the (other :) ) "ledgends" I have moved on and have a life sepporate to CTYI

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

in some ways i have moved on from ctyi, i'm not really in touch with too many people anymore, my last session as a student was 96, so no mobiles or email, so it was harder to keep in touch. we're all in very different places now too. some still in college others finished and out in the big bad world. but i do know from experience that if i ever happen to meet up with anyone or send an email that the connection is still there.

then there's the fact that for the past three years almost i've been working with ctyi. what i am still very involved in is the idea of ctyi and passing it onto as many people as possible hoping that their experience can be as great as mine was.

but things do change..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

CTYI doesnt change but people do. Interest wanes in the actual institution as you get older. Its a chance to make friends and have fun, but whereas a couple of years ago i would have said it was a whole lot more, it would no longer be true. There will always be new interest from new people, but whereas a year or two ago I would have been definite on the idea of going back as an RA or something, it would no longer really matter that much to me.

Actually, I think the level of interest in CTYI is being misrepresented a bit now, due to various people setting up their own forums/sites etc. Where everyones got a little site, and the community wasnt that big to begin with, it makes the community look even smaller. Which reminds me, does anyone know how the CTYI Debate list is going now? Is it still going? Does it get much traffic?

People move on. Thats how things go.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Podge: yes, it was, but then i realised i was bored and depressed and looking for good memories, so i found other interesting things to do, like get turned down by many, many girls!:D

(honestly, i'm actually in a good mood at the moment!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

um...

First off, Podge bare in mind neil was only there for one year...

also, there have been no new Emans or even Adams... Last year not even Jimi was as mad without enda. Hell... I became a legendary CTYIer and I don't have half the spirit they did.

Also, it IS true to say that you grow distant from CTYIers if you exist in the sort of social circle we (as in mark, neil, colm et al) do. Look at many other CTYIers who spend their weekends around other CTYIers. I try to balance out CTYI friends and non-CTYI friends (i don't want to seem elitist no matter how much I am) and think I may have succeeded, but that's only because I maintain communications with other CTYIers. Sadly even this has been waning, but worry not! I won't lose touch...

And yeah, as the bug spreads some people are going to come to CTYI who just don't... belong. and then they somehow like it and bring more of their type and all of a sudden you have actual ASSHOLES in CTYI! I KNOW IT! I MET ONE! <whom i shan't name for ... me being too damn nice>. but yeah! it wasn't a personality clash or unsocial or just an idiot. He was a skanger wanker. And not even a fun one.

So yeah.. CTYI has changed. The rules are stricter, the RAs are less liberal (no prostitution debate?!) and the actual CTYIers are getting less like us... The whole thing about this board is that it was my era CTYIers who initially formed it. So mark, have your funky digs and i will be there too. And bob have your bored2 and bring all those who would be better there. Personally, I'm gonna stay here in the hope that the oldies will return and we can talk and arrange meeting up and maybe just maybe have a laugh bou the olden days.

So there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

that was so ....inmotional! i really almost shed a tear! wow! and i dont even know anybody! i really hope ctyi isnt ever overrun by bad people. its my heaven on earth! and then future generations like us wouldnt get to have that life changing experience. oh its sad!

on another, happier (or not?) note, i have been going to the gym and excercising every morning at 5 o clock, and i found out that i have obliques! wow! and i can flex all of my muscles and they show! i think its totally rad. and next im going to get a tan, oh gee whillickers!and next year when i go back to school, i am going to be so hot. its not even funny. i know this all sounds VERRRRRRY superficial, and it does to me too, but dont worry! its all part of my friend morgan and my secret plan to take over our city! we have already overrun the orchestral community and the nerd society, finally we have to capture the weird people who think they are "popular" and ...ick, the thought of it. but the things i do for domination of the city and someday the country! ok, so you must know by now that this whole country domination thing is a joke, but we seriously plan on having the entire city know who we are , without dying or comitting any serious crimes.

and this summer is going to be great, because i get to go to ctyi and two dance camps and maine! i think i will be home for about two weeks combined this whole summer. livin out of the old suitcase. and i intend to make the most out of ctyi this year, seeing as i have worked so hard to get to go. wow, im going to do some really silly things i think. well maybe im just hyper. as always. but oh well. i do alot of silly things anyways.

i am blathering along here. i dont have anyone to talk to currently, because i am at my parents' office after school ( as always). ruff.im tired now. i will stop. bye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Mahotée

Originally posted by lordsippa
    Hell... I became a legendary CTYIer and I don't have half the spirit they did.

who're you again?
    i dont think living people can be legends. i dont think people you really know at all can be legends. its just not the way stuff works. i wouldnt want to be called a legend, i havent dont anything great or terrible, im not dusty and faded in the bakcs of ald memories and storybooks, im new and im now and im still living, and so are the people you just mentioned, sven. it cant be a legend until its been gone for so long that nobody really remembers it so they make stuff up.
    I try to balance out CTYI friends and non-CTYI friends (i don't want to seem elitist no matter how much I am)

i just have friends and friendly acquaintances and i want them to get to know eachother and be friends with eachother separate from me, co that would make things much more convenient.

And yeah, as the bug spreads some people are going to come to CTYI who just don't... belong.)

now thats...elitist? prejudiced? arrogant? im not sure what the right word is. im a very intolerant person, but at leasst im intolerant of indivuals. ive met them everywhere. but you cant judge someone because you think theyr a certain sort of person. dislike them because they are who they are. ive met a fairly even amountof people i love and hate at ctyi. this summer im going to another summer camp, and i expect something similar will happen, except i'll have to speak irish.

im still friends with may people i met in ctyi. and i made friends with others, eg fio (*mwah*) through ctyi gatherings afterwards. but that doesnt make them different from my other friends, it just made the circumstances of our meeting different. you know, i think i just really like meeting new people, and making new friends and seeing new places and doing new things. i get bored of everything too easily.

you cant go back, so youd better move forward.

Originally posted by Mahotée

now thats...elitist? prejudiced? arrogant?
    All of them...

And the group of people i was talking about were pricks. Assholes. etc. A bunch of individuals who just fall under the term "scum". Not scumbags. Scum.

<ahem>

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

ctyi was an amazing experience and its something that should be shared. it was also one of the most tolerant things i have ever been involved in and reading some of these posts seems to make me think that people think they're above others because of spending a couple of weeks at ctyi.

i have friends i've met so many different ways, through ctyi, school, college, religious groups and events, its ridiculous to think that you have to seperate ctyi and non-ctyi friends.

whether people are ex-ctyi or not, one religion or another, from different places. it doesn't mean they can't mix. people's differences are what makes them special and if everyone shares the same experiences and no others, wheres the fun in that. what would people talk about. remember when we did this and that.

the people you thought were pricks may have thoguht the same of you and your supercool attitude to yourself. just because you dont think people belong means nothing. they may have had amazing ctyi experiences too.

i rem going back to ctyi my second year and meeting someone who had been there the previous year too. he started talking about this group of 'losers' who were in his class the year before and the people they hung round with and how glad he was that none of them appeared to have come back. apparantly ctyi was better off without them. unknown to him he had been spending the previous week with us 'losers'

if i offend anyone i'm not really sorry cos i don't like this attitude some people seem to have

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

CTYI is an amazing experience, that actually changed me completely. i used to be the quiet person who sat in the corner and rocked back and forth. now i spend hours thinking up interesting conversations with mysel.....

oh well....:)

I basically has about 3 or 4 friends before i came to CTYI. now i have more. Yay!

• Advertisement

AHEM!

The incident which sealed my view of particular individual was as follows:

Sitting outside canteen by myself feeling down cause i'd been dumped shortly beforehand... guy walks past.. sees me being all down. throws glass of water on me. laughs. walks on laughing. prick.

also.. about elitism, personally a lot of my friends are ctyiers. but a lot aren't. and i don't draw a line between them... well some of them but that's just cause they have conflicting personalities...

but i have heard complaints that when someone first meets a group of ctyiers they're treated like an outcast. even i get it with ctyiers i don't know too well... the groups are so tightly knit... especially in 2001... there was no general messing, it was all groups. and no two groups merged... only occassionally people jumped between (or like myself only became friends with one or two from each group - except the one based in my class).

And i don't think i'm supercool. i'm a geek. and not even a good one. so there!

<i just like using phrases like "so there">

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

CTYI is not perfect.

First 2 years? I was ok, even fun at times, but i never really liked the group culture that appeared....

2000 -- amazing, i was caught up in the start of a relationship, and was never a prat of any group but still had amazing fun with anyone who'd talk to me, i started hugging people and i havent looked back since..

2001 - very different experience, i relaxed alot, and i had a group, and it shocked even me, but thankfully the group wasnt elitist, and i spent time with various groups of people too.

I dont live near lots of CTYI people, Sarah, Aideen and Muireann are in my school, and Sarah is really the only person who i spend a lot of time with, and i knew her before we both went.

CTYI changed my life, and it made me a lot of the friends I have today -- not just the ones who go/went to CTYI but it gave me the confidence and skills in myself that let me be *ME* -- the real me that was somewhere locked out while the rest of the world took turns at poking at me.

I must admit that at times I was very false, i did put on a happy act when i really didnt feel happy, but thats me too, i dont like depression and thankfully i'm over that now, and i'm happy, really and truely happy just being me.

I dont see CTYIers every day, or even every week, but when I do we have fun and its not about memories its about who we are as people.... :)

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

well I gotta say that Sven in a sense is right, for the first day or so of CTYI me and Bob were pretty much outcasts cos we were stupid commuter ppl, but then we kinda threw ourselves into all the fun and turned out excellent. That was probably the reason me and Sir Bobalot(I just made that up, amn't I gr8?) there became such good friends :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

sadly 2001 was very clique-y but i still had a lot of fun. there were many, many, *MANY* bad bits but you get that in everything so i didn't let it worry me and now mostly remember it as being the most fantastic summer ever. even though it just wasn't at all but it came at the end of an incredibly bad year for me so i was glad to take any happiness i could get. anyway, nostalgia is *so* much better than depression. :)

i have a lot of friends from various walks of life, some of whom would have liked to go to CTYI but couldn't for whatever reasons, and i have no problem integrating them with my dear little CTYIers. all my friends are important to me.

damn you all, nevermore people! i have another 3 (yes, count 'em, 3) years left in that glorious institution which we call CTYI and most of my friends' last year was 2001. nothing for it, i'll just have to make new friends damnit. ;)

there's a whole lot of smart people who didn't go to CTYI y'know. (don't mean to sound self righteous or whatever :) )

sHep :cool:

am i cool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Smiley

CTYI is life changing...

I've worked out the psychology behind CTYI...

Put a group of ppl who have no self-confidence, little social foothold and are basically termed geeks in a college for 3 weeks and eventually they'll build up self-confidence whilst being around ppl who are like them. So basically, geeks with geeks = confident geeks...

Stay tuned,

Mike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Alk3

Dermo, I was known as Robbie for about three days until someone I may have had a small crush on decided to call me Bob and I guess I just liked it. So **** yeh. :)

Smiley, not everyone who attends CTYI is a geek*. A lot of them just aren't skangers and as such don't get accepted and they are too scared to approach the other "outsiders" in case the skangers pick on them for it. At CTYI there are no skangers so everyone feels free to interact with everyone else, basically if we got rid of skangers then everything would be harmony. See?

* Geek, one of the fundamental requirements for being a geek is an in-depth knowledge of computers which a lot of CTYI'ers don't have -- therefore not all CTYI'ers can be geeks.

And finally, Chloe, how do you know me?

well im definitely NOT a geek! maybe a nerd, or bookish, but not a geek. i know nothing about computers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

Originally posted by Smiley
    CTYI is life changing...

Put a group of ppl who have no self-confidence, little social foothold and are basically termed geeks in a college for 3 weeks and eventually they'll build up self-confidence whilst being around ppl who are like them. So basically, geeks with geeks = confident geeks...

Stay tuned,

Mike...

i have lots and lots of self-confidence.ask anyone who's met me.i'd also put myself in the "freak" category as opposed to "geek".and there are lots of other ctyiers who are the same.

On the whole geek issue:
    "F'nar!"

But yeah... geek's don't have to know about computers... computer geeks do though. the thing is you can have various sort of geeks. you might have a geek who likes music and knows everything about all the equipment used in a recording studio and might also know exactly how to achieve certain effects on an album and all about the make up and resonance and everything of a guitar... although don't expect them to be able to play...

geeks are just people who like info. nerds are people who study too much, geeks tend not to study, although to do well regardless... they know it all anyway!

um... so that any help? at all?

• Advertisement

freaks. excellent. i *am* a freak. the defenition of geeks in the dictionary is people who bite the heads off chickens or did someone just make that up? hmm... now there's something for you to think about.
    thankyou sven my dear i will check that out.
    sHep :cool:

Wasn't the headbiting thing Ozzy? Or is that just me?

Unless... no. Ozzy and geek just don't seem to go together.

why, do you bite the heads off chickens too?

sHep (don't do that sort of thing) :cool:

i dont bite chicken heads off. now on the matter of freak/geek...
    i dont know what i am now! you people are giving me an identity crisis! i thought i wasnt a geek, but now by sven's definition i AM a geek! confused confused confused....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Moni

Actually, the geek thing is true.. They were part of sideshows and freak shows and things. And they bit the heads off of live chickens.

I just hope no one here is a geek. :D

<whistles and moves slowly away, cleaning the blood from his lips as he goes>

ok now im NOT a geek! im seriously upset by all of this !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Smiley

OK...I think I regret my previous comment on psychology as it has seemed to turn into a rather disturbing debate on beheading chickens.

And as far as psychlogy goes...

You are your own person...No-one in the world really gives a **** about what you do....whether you bite the heads of chickens, or whether your second bible is the revision timetable....

More-over, you shouldn't give a **** about whatother ppl think about you. I mean, at the end of the day, the only person who's gonna be upset if someone says anything to you, is you. So basically don't get upset. Because you don't want to be affected by other ppl, do you??

What I'm trying to say is that you can be as wierd or geeky as you want. You can be what ever or whoever you want, because really, if you're gonna base your whole existence on other ppls opinions, then your existence is gonna become pretty torn and pathetic...

Yeah, well if your still with me then Stay tuned,

Mike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

To me, a geek was always somebody who was particularly obsessive about a certain subject-be it computers, languages, music, science, literature etc. A nerd always reminded me of Screech from Saved By The Bell, with his worm farm, dodgy clothes and Elvis-obsessed mother-"I'll just put it facing the kitchen so the King can watch me cook" etc. A freak was someone who was a long way from expected norms in anything, which leads on to the next question- "What is normality?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Alk3

Here is the theory as regards normality and society. And it boils down to the fact that everybody, every conformist, every no-conformist, every freak, every geek, every scanger, everybody is normal. Not necessarily the same, but normal nonetheless.
    Okay, now -- western culture, especially amongst teenagers is a funny little thing. Absolutely everybody wants to be different or unique in their own little way and there's nothing wrong with that, but if society in general wants to be different than the rest of society therefore 'wanting to be different' is a normal thing.

So, anybody who tries to be different is actually being 100% normal and therefore not being different at all. And anybody who doesn't try to be different in their own little way are just very plain and normal. Therefore absolutely everybody in society is normal, and the people who are 'most' normal are actually the ones who try hardest to be different.

And there ya have it.

Advertisement