Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Card difficulty

• 08-06-2001 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

My sound card does not run two sound apps. at once, i.e playing half-life and running napster doesnt work, i will onlky hear hl sounds, this is annoying as i cannot use battlecom or roger wilco, any1 any ideas to fix this, drivers work?

*** You were kicked from #fortress.ie by Molly (bang bang)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

What Snd Card u got for starts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

You need to have a Full-Duplex Sound-Card with the appropriate Drivers to do anything like that.

Not all Sound-Cards are Full-Duplex, and some need you to specifically enable it. What kinda Card you got in your machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

1. Stop using my avatar mad.giftongue.gif: mad.gif

2. Yeah what kegser said about the drivers, but:
    i) Napster plays mp3s, which tends to use alot of CPU, Which would probably make your CS game alot more un-enjoyable

ii) It depends on what type of playback they are both using, if its using DirectSound, then you probably should (with the right drivers) be able to do both, IF its using wave sound, then forget it. biggrin.gif

Mabye if you told us what type of card it was it would help, infact the SoundBlaster PCIv64 and the PCI128's i think have to get the updated drivers for duplex sound

RentZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

i had a SB16 and i'm amost sure I had it doing Full duplex. But what ur trying tio do is play several sources at once. Duplex means it can take in sound (record mike) and playback sound(mp3s/wavs)
    That is my understanding anywas. I havea SBLive! so I'm sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭RubberDuck

I have a 'sound blatser audio PCI 64v legacy device'.
    I download and installed a driver which aid it fixed problems with this specific card in games like half-life, i thought i had found the one but it didnt work frown.gif
    Is there some setting or sommat i need to enable/disable?

• Advertisement

Oohh renton, just saw the end of your post, u say i need a certain driver?
    Any ideas where i can get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I have a sb64v on a machine here, and when I was forced to use it for games, the same problem occured. I did have the latest drivers from creatives website, and I couldn't see any settings to fix it.

Full Duplex is not the issue here, that simply means you can record and playback at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I know this is not much help but get yourself a Sound Blaster Live! value/platinum and you will not have any problems.

you can get an SBlive value for a bout IRE£60

[This message has been edited by flamegrill (edited 09-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

i also am unlucky enough to own a soudblaster audiopci 64v frown.gif

I d/led the lates update drivers, [Rev 3] and it made no difference at all, basically i need a new card, thanks for the help anyway, soundcards hard to install?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

No real easy smile.gif

Is your current one a card or built into the motherboard?

built in;/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

There *might* be a jumper to disable it. You *could* leave both cards running side-by side, if u have the IRQs, hook up the two out puts to teh one set of speakers using a Y-cable and see if u can mix it like taht.
    If not, then trya nd find that jumper. Or else mash teh chip. smile.gif
    mash the chip, mash teh chip!
    /me pounds keyboard to tune, then looks down and sees he can't type anymore. #fortress.ie-wide rejoicing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

id suggest picking up a new sound card.
    they are dead cheap depending on what you want.
    i know maplins were selling surround sound 4.1 soundcard and 5 speaker set for about 65 quid. not sure about now. but if you just want a normal old sound card, get one of thge cheaper ones on the market. any new sound card should fix that problem.
    and yes duplex has nothing to dso with the amount of sources the card can play from at once. off hand i cant remember what thats called, but full duplex, as the lads said is sending and recieving similtaneously. in this case, recording and sending out sound signals

One Of your Imps Does A Good Impersonation Of You
    He Can Even Do The Ears.....

Advertisement