Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Robert Jordan lost the plot?

Options
  • 05-05-2002 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭

To my mind the Wheel of Time epic has got out of control. Each new book now seems to mean wading through pointless waffle before he slightly advances the story. What do y'all think?

Has Robert Jordan lost the plot? 15 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    53% 8 votes
    Yes but can turn it around.
    46% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I'm not sure...
    what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Good man lafortezza

Anyway Jordons Firsts books were absolutly fantastic, way ahead of their time , I was lucky as a was given 1-8 all in one day, I
    stopped going to college , slowed social activites to a snalls pace
    and ploughed through them.....

By book 4 , I thought the story should never end
    By book 6 , i thought it should be picking up soon
    By book 8 , I thought jordon was just cruel, it was like i could feel
    the nails dragging across the blackboard
    By book 10 , I think jordon is a senile twat and is trying to beat
    some long book series record or something , Im a so
    sick of his pointless charactor building , and his evil
    guys being retartidly feeble and unimagineative. To
    be quite honest he really let me down...

Jordon was an author for the first 4/5 books then he simplely
    wasnt. A pity really , but I wont even buy his next
    book and ive sold the rest...

My two Yoyos

This should prob be under Litriture though

I'll buy the next few. However i hope to christ that he manages to finish them soon. I'd prefer if he'd stop, writing books outside of the wheel of time series, and just concentrate on the series at hand. Its gone on too long, considering this was meant to be a Trilogy. Bah!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

Hmm it was meant to be a trilogy?

I just finished the first three books and to be honest it the Dragon Reborn isn't a bad place to stop. If he had added in a eplogue into it saying that Rand united the land and there was peace for another thousand years he would have possibly kept a lot of people happy.

To be honest though I can't believe that he ever seriously considered making it a trilogy since there is so much in the first book which still hasn't been tied up. Maybe he just didn't have a plan.

Oh and if someone wants to post me the fourth book I'll read it but I have no intention of reading on.

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

When i bought the books when they first came out, the 1st book had a message on the inside saying the start of a trilogy.

I've loved most of the books, but it's gotten to the stage that i'm waiting for it to end, rather than looking forward to the next book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The way I see it he is planning on killing on killing off one of the Seriously bad guys (Forsaken if I recall correctly) per book which would make it about 8 books long including the final battle, it seems that the forsaken however can be brought back again by the Dark one so it could last a while.
    The first clue I had that this series could go on for a while was when I read the message inside the cover where Jordan says he is going to keep writing until they nail the lid shut on his coffin. From the way things are looking he could mean this series...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

personally i love the series, even if it is starting to unravel alittle

hopefully this next book (is it 9 or 10 at this stage ?) will start to sort things out...i think the series is set to end at book 12..or was it 13 ?

it origionally started out as a trilogy, then a set of 7, but the world keeps getting bigger and bigger so now its set at 12/13

i dont think any series could continue beyond that without becoming simply to grand for readers to keep track of leading to boredom and annoyance

im still looking forward to the next book alot, even if it has been so long since i started/read that last one that ive totally forgotten what most of the story is :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gorthaur

I'm quite enjoyong it. It gets bit complicated trying tokeeptrackbutwhen there are the guts of 15 main characters
    alloverthe shopit'sgoing to be slow until they start getting back together again (should be any volume now).

Anywhoo if I get lost I just visit one the American WOT sites where sad gits with no life analyse it to death and I'm back on track-no worries!!!
    :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

personally I'll be happy if he kills off egwene and elayne.. that's all I ask .. he can write another 20 books if he wants but he just HAS to kill them

its strange but the only character i like to read abt is Mat... the rest are just boring... they were fun at the start but now i'm at the stage where i want the forsaken to kill em all. Mat on the other hand is cool... he gets to sacrifice half the world to save the rest, and gets to shag the Daughter of the Nine Moons... :D

i'll buy the next one just to find out abt him.. although i might grimace when it joins my book collection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

he gets to sacrifice half the world to save the rest, and gets to shag the Daughter of the Nine Moons

As far as I know the "sacrificing half the world" thingy refers to losing the sight in one eye to save the sight in the other. Not quite so dramatic.

---As far as I know the "sacrificing half the world" thingy refers to losing the sight in one eye to save the sight in the other. Not quite so dramatic.----

really? where did you get this from? as far as i'm aware he hasn't lost any sight. Which book actually says this?

It hasn't happened yet.

aye, there are a few prophecies to suggest that I think.. can't remember any of em thgh :) bewen a while since I read twot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Apparently the new book has been announced it'll be called Crossroads of Twilight and will be released on November the 12th in the States dunno about European release yet. I hope this punk starts finishing it up soon all these plotstrands are getting too much for my poor wee head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Anyone whos interested check out the Wheel of Time FAQ at

http://www.arkane.demon.co.uk/WOTFAQ/

The amount of time and effort that has gone into this thing is more than a little bit worrying.

<<< As far as I know the "sacrificing half the world" thingy refers to losing the sight in one eye to save the sight in the other. Not quite so dramatic. >>>

Terminator i'm curious as to where you get this info?

Personally i think the only one that MIGHT know whats going on is Robert Jordan himself, and even then parts of books seem to be made up on the spot.

I'm more of the opinion that the prophecy is closer to the truth than him loosing sight in an eye. still u could be right, but not very dramatic in a fantasy setting...

I had a look at that FAQ that you've linked. There are some very strange people out there..

But its like any other review these are just guesses as to what Jordan intends.. until the actual books come out, we'll have to wait and see...

No Mat definitely loses an eye.

Eowyn has a dream where she sees him placing one eye in a weighing scales.

http://photeus.com/~ewot/prophecies/dreams.html#1

Min also has a similar viewing regarding Mat :

A red eagle, an eye on a balance scale, a dagger with a ruby, a horn, and a laughing face.

http://photeus.com/~ewot/prophecies/viewings.html

okies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Robert Jordan lost the plot some time ago. I can honestly say that this is the first series of books where I actually feel that my life will be enhanced by not finishing the repetitive drivel that he keeps spouting out to honour some 10 book contract. Normally I have to finish a series of books, as I hate not to know what happens in the end, even where the series is merely average.

After 7 books of TWOT, I cannot take any more. Has he never heard of quality over quantity?? The first three were interesting but after that it just seems to keep constantly rehashing the same stuff over and over again. I find the characters extremely annoying and childish, his treatment of male/female relationships is naiive to say the least and if i have to hear a detailed description of the finer points of the stitching of the various womens dresses etc I think I may have to be committed to a mental institution. He has introduced dozens of plot lines/visions/foretellings without thought of how to bring them all back together and , no feck it, i could go on but i am actually getting annoyed just thinking about it.

Q

• Advertisement

I can see where you're coming from but I don't think Jordan is deliberately fleshing it out.

He made the mistake of separating the various characters early on and the story split into many strands that will take a while to unravel. Its a little annoying at times but at the end of the day its still a damn good read and the payoff will be so worth it when all the strings are neatly tied up at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

...actually last night i skimmed through the books again, alighting on several passages that made me laugh/cringe. Particularly, one where I think it is Elayne/Egwene bumps into a bunch of women from accross the sea or something, and he spends two and a half pages describing each one of them individually. One particular paragraph describing the arrangement of the stones in a brooch worn by one of the women made me puke. In fact, I threw the whole lot in a bag and brought them into chapters today. They gave me €1.30 each for them.

So if anyone desperately needs them, chapters in abbey street has books 1-7 going cheap!!!

Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BeorimJ

I must also say, that Jordan has lost it a bit.
    I am collecting them in Germany, and they are cutting the books apart, so now i got about 26 books, and there have been parts where absolutely NOTHIN´ happens, so.... yes, he lost it, and: he has to start getting it together again

c utting the books in half? oh my... that is just not nice

in some of the books nothing happens until the last hundred or so pages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

currently re-reading the series myself, had bought the ninth book & it made no sense! since it had been 2 or 3 years since reading the first 8. just read that a e-book taster of book 10 will be out shortly with the book out in November. By the time i finish book 9 he had better be making some progress because I'd hate to end my habit of always reading entire series' of books.... heres hopin he's not too close to the grave!!

Although, in his defence Terry Goodkind has pretty much killed the sword of truth? series by making no progress plot wise in the last 2 books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Sandrius

you have to admit that soem writers will do that in order to make some more cash while keeping the loyal readers hanging on. hopefully jordan wont do this. but you have to ask yourslef what would happen if he died before finishing the series? hmm too scary to think of really

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

If he goes and dies before he finishes this series I'll have to kill the fuc|<er. ;)

hmm interesting concept i'll have to rember that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Interesting thread. Although an Avid reader, I never read sci-fi books untile recently (actually thats not true, I read 3 or 4 of the Dune series). Anyway, I read, the Hobbit, then the lord of the rings. After that I decided no book would ever come close and decided to stop reading forever as nothing else would compare.

However, I feel now like picking up another book, I was asking about for a good read and I was told that the wheel of time series would be the one to look out for, or failing that Raymond Feist books, or that bloke who wrote starship troopers. Any opinions on this ? Am I being led astray ?

• Advertisement

starship troopers is an amazingly fantastic book read it if you can. i read that and am now reading the wheel of time which is also brilliant. so why not just read both youre not going to be missing out by doing so

Advertisement