Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System hang - Why ?

• 07-06-2001 3:50pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a:

P4-1.3 Gig
    512MB's RAM
    210 Gigs HD space

The job is ripping and encoding mp3's.
    This process is fine-ish.
    The problem is, after accomplishing a process, the system hangs for about 10-15 seconds until I can do anything again.
    I have to edit the wave files and clip the silence at the start and the end of the files.
    When I clip the silence from the start this causes a hang for 10 - 15 seconds and then when I normalize the sound levels this too causes a 10 - 15 seccond hang.
    As if this wasn't enough, I go to save the wav file, and once this has finished saving, it hangs again for yet another 10 - 15 seconds.

Anybody have similar problems and any solutions ?

- Slaan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

what sound card do you have?

adnans

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Sound blaster platinum big thingy

[This message has been edited by Slaanesh (edited 07-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

what program are you using? why dont you use something so it automatically encodes the mp3 file after it has been ripped. i find it easier that way cause you dont have to mess with those pesly wave files.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

try using audio catalyst demo version then crack it.
    I've never had any problems with it.
    it rips and encodes at same time.

Sorry, let me clarify.

The ripping and encoding process is fine.
    I have to edit the wave files you see.
    This is where I am having the problems, I have used other sound programs other than Sound Forge but they do the same thing. I did it on my computer at home and I did not have the same problem, so something is up with this machine.

The "hang" occurs when I perform a process on the wave file, E.g. clip the silence at the start, It cuts it and then hangs. The same for normalizing, it normalizes it then hangs. The same again for saving !!, saves it, then hangs.
    I dunno !

Slaan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Slaan, I presume your running Win2k.
    Install both of these;
    ftp://ftp.euro.dell.com/misc/Z0377C05.exe
    ftp://ftp.euro.dell.com/disk/Z0108T05.exe

The first is for the P4 chipset (i850) and the second is for the ATA 100 controller.
    I know these look like Dell specific files but there not, they are for giving better support to the P4 chipset under W2k.
    This should help you!

Jimbob...

Sorry SB, your presumption is wrong. I am running win98, their is a reason for this, something to do with the encryption software only working under 98.

Slaan.

They work for both 2k and 9x I think. Try it!!

Bah serever busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Cut out the conversion to .wav and get this prog from www.zy2000.com It will convert the mp3's to wav and burn them to cd by itself on the fly for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Just to confirm; Is your machine only hanging during this process? As in are you able to do other tasks without hanging? Games, Internet Explorer, DVDs, etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Slaanesh get goldwave @ www.goldwave.com

crack it, install the lame encoder into your windows directory. I'll send it to you if you cant find it. Then use this to edit works a treat.

John

Yeah Kegser, I can do everything else without hanging, this is the only thing that seems to do it.

Slaan.

Lump, that program will not help me. It does not normalize the sound file which is essential. Anyway, it was doing the same hanging smile.gif

Slaan.

Slaan, Thats what the second file I linked would have done. I think you should install it anyway, far better performance from my IDE HD's after i installed that!

For those interested I fixed the problem be enabling DMA on all the hard drives. Now everything works at 100mph very nice.

Slaan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slaanesh:
    I have a:

P4-1.3 Gig
    512MB's RAM
    210 Gigs HD space
    </font>
    God, there's just no pleasing some people rolleyes.gif

Advertisement