Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office XP: Two questions about Outlook 10

• 10-06-2001 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I've upgraded to Office XP... My problems aren't with the product activation - that was all perfectly smooth smile.gif These questions are for anyone else who has moved to Office XP and might be able to help me:

1. Practically every time I go to a message (just clicking on it to view it in the preview pane), it pops up this annoying box:

access.gif

Now I can get rid of it for up to 10 minutes using the "Allow access" and the drop down but I'd rather be able to disable this feature in the security settings... so far I can't find that option.

2. The following message appears at the top of some emails where Outlook considered, in it's infinite wisdom, that the attatchment was potentially unsafe because of it's file type.

attatch.gif

In this case it's an mdb (Access database) which I quite needed to use and now Outlook won't let me anywhere near it... AGAIN taking such decisions over what's safe and what's not away from the end user (me). Any ideas on how I can disable this annoying feature?

Any helpful comments or solutions to the above problems would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bard
    "Have a gorilla!" ... "No thanks, I'll have one of my monkeys, they're milder."

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 10-06-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

ive got Xp as well,

outlook 10 is buggy as hell, i just didnt install it and cept the last version.
    nothing much new in it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I don't find it "buggy"- those aren't "bugs" per se... they're just annoying features that I'd like to have greater control over...

anyone?

Bard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Bard, that message you are getting is to do with better security, albeit annoying at times. Go to Tools --> Options and the Security tab. You'll probably fnd that under Secure Content your Zone setting is set to the maximum setting. Mess about with those settings and you should get rid of that message.

You may also want to check whether you have any other e-mail type programs that are accessing outlook. Have you got ICQ installed ?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TinCool:

You may also want to check whether you have any other e-mail type programs that are accessing outlook. Have you got ICQ installed ?
    </font>

Ah! - that could be it - Yes... ICQ2000b is installed and the first thing Outlook 2002 said was that it didn't like the ICQ plugin and so had disabled it... it asked me if I wanted to re-enable it and (without thinking about it really) I said yes. I'd imagine that disabling it again (if I could find out how!) would probably sort out my "security" problem.

Any ideas about the attatchments problem? - e.g.: an MDB file... I'd prefer that Outlook leave it up to me as to what is a safe/desirable attatchment and what is not.

Bard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    Any ideas about the attatchments problem? - e.g.: an MDB file... I'd prefer that Outlook leave it up to me as to what is a safe/desirable attatchment and what is not.
    </font>

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about your missing attachments. With Outlook XP there's two type of Security Levels. Level 1 has a pre-defined list of file extensions which it'll remove from e-mails and Level 2 are ones that admins/users can add themselves. Basically, the following file types fall in to Level 1 security and will be blocked. The only way round is to change the file extension or zip the file.

The below file extensions are classed under Level 1

.ade,.adp, .bas, .bat, .chm, .cmd, .com, .cpl, .crt, .exe, .hlp, .hta, .inf, .ins, .isp, .js, .jse, .lnk, .mda, .mdb, .mde, .mdz, .msc, .msi, .msp, .mst, .pcd, .pif, .reg, .scr, .sct, .shs, .url, .vb, .vbe, .vbs, .wsc, .wsf, .wsh

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TinCool:
    Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about your missing attachments. With Outlook XP there's two type of Security Levels. Level 1 has a pre-defined list of file extensions which it'll remove from e-mails and Level 2 are ones that admins/users can add themselves. Basically, the following file types fall in to Level 1 security and will be blocked. The only way round is to change the file extension or zip the file.

The below file extensions are classed under Level 1

.ade,.adp, .bas, .bat, .chm, .cmd, .com, .cpl, .crt, .exe, .hlp, .hta, .inf, .ins, .isp, .js, .jse, .lnk, .mda, .mdb, .mde, .mdz, .msc, .msi, .msp, .mst, .pcd, .pif, .reg, .scr, .sct, .shs, .url, .vb, .vbe, .vbs, .wsc, .wsf, .wsh
    </font>

Yes, I read that on their help pages- ... I also read that as an administrator or the person who runs the Exchange server (if there is one) you can add extensions to that list and remove extensions from it - although it didn't go as far as to say -how-. There must be a way. I may end up going back to Outlook 2000 if not, and I'd rather not do that.

Bard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

This a work system Niall?

or yer own home system? gonna try out Office XP myself later on in the week @ home, will inform here of experiences.

Luc

It's a home system, so there's no Exchange server in the equation - just a standalone Windows 2000 SP1 box.

I'd say the security problem (#1 above) was to do with ICQ, so that should be easily enough sorted out. I'd like to have greater control over what is and isn't deemed an "unsafe" attatchment though - there's no real reason why I shouldn't be able to accept an .mdb file from a trusted sender without requiring that it be zipped first.

Bard

Advertisement