Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Internet Explorer Behavior

Options
  • 05-05-2002 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

If I have multiple browser windows open, and I use the links bar in IE to open a new page, it often happens that the link I select opens in one of the other browser windows that I have open.

Its incredibly irritating to have to switch to the other window, stop the page from loading, then go back to the original, where - on trying the link again - the page loads in the correct browser window (ie. the one I selected the bloody link on!)

Can anyone explain why this is happening (and how to stop it?!?)

I'm using XP/IE 6.0.2600.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dunno how to fix it permanently, but I can tell you how to get around it - drag the link into the current window.

adam

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

reason its happening- the order you are giving it actually to open in a "new window".
    You have a couple IE windows open.
    XP is an absolute animal in regards memory.
    If system resources are running low IE will by default grab another of your open windows and use it as a "New Window".
    BTW- XP is not the only OS that does this.
    NT SP6 is infamous for the same tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're multi-window animal, download opera. It's far better for multi-windows goodness.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

use shortcut keys

Ctrl + N for all new window pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks for all your feedback.

Dragging favourites into the window seems to work perfectly.

Gone Shootin - I use Ctrl-N all the time.... the problem is that sites open up in windows that I'm already using (instead of the browser window I am on).

smccarrick - As for system resources, I have half a gig of RAM and a 750mb permanent swapfile, so I don't think its lack of resources thats causing the problem.

Thanks again...

PS - not mad about Opera !! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

simply keep your finger pressed on the SHIFT key when clicking the link

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Originally posted by donaloconnor
    simply keep your finger pressed on the SHIFT key when clicking the link

Shift-clicking a link opens it in a new window, fair enough. But it doesn't solve the annoying behaviour I've been experiencing......

Advertisement