Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oceanfree.net

• 09-06-2001 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

nope ocean = sweet just that it aint nolimit frown.gif

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you're p1ssed at Esat, it's good to remember that Oceanfree is owned by Esat-BT (said in the same way gobsheens like Ian Paisley say "Sinn Fein-IRA").

Personally, although I see and understand their reasons for dumping the so-called "Esat 2000", I'm still a long way off forgiving them for the incompetent way they handled it.

Methinks I'll be giving the call-charge percentage to someone else for a while.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

yeah thats right, dont use a good isp cos its owned by esat....

gah. rolleyes.gif

Gah yerself. I didn't tell or ask anyone to use or not use an ISP, I just pointed out that if people are p1ssed at Esat, they should be aware that Oceanfree is owned by them, and using Oceanfree will line Esat's pockets. I use UTV Internet, which is a good ISP, so I have no need to deal with people who treat their users with disrespect.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im just writing to ask if oceanfrees service is always so damn good?!

I just got kicked off snl frown.gif

so I tried oceanfree my god!

160 pings to servers (compared to my previous 250-300 reg on eshat!)

great download rates (currently 5.2k)

However does their service get bad at night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I get 5.0-4k dl rates with esat, have allways done so smile.gif

*cough*
    daves l33t site 0wns j00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Oceanfree was always the only ISDN ISP for me that was very good both to the UK and Ireland (i.e, ping of 50 in q3)

Unfortunately, the routing to Barrysworld was bad for awhile, getting ping of 85 or so, but it seems to be fixed again, down to 60 - 65 lately, and still gives a ping of 50 to IE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    I use UTV Internet, which is a good ISP, so I have no need to deal with people who treat their users with disrespect.

adam
    </font>

ROFL

Good ISP, Pah. Perhaps if you are used to Esat, UTV is nothing in comparison to Oceanfree.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Yeh as regards gaming we always used oceanfree and buy & sell to dial up even though we had to pay rather than using SNL which was flat rate but always gave $hite pings to the UK. You should try Buy and Sell too, I bet you'll be impressed with the UK pings. Just swap between them 2 ISP's to get a good ping on whatever server you have to play on. See you SNL guys only realise now what yous were missin wink.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    Gah yerself. I didn't tell or ask anyone to use or not use an ISP, I just pointed out that if people are p1ssed at Esat, they should be aware that Oceanfree is owned by them, and using Oceanfree will line Esat's pockets. I use UTV Internet, which is a good ISP, so I have no need to deal with people who treat their users with disrespect.

adam
    </font>

And yet you will probably grab Esat ADSL if they offer it at a lower price then eircom.

And in addition, if i use an oceanfree account the only pockets im lining to any large degree are eircoms. Im sure oceanfree get some kind of percentage from advertising to their users, but its pittance.

Just dont call tech support wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Snaga (edited 10-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I thought they got a percentage of the call charge as well?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

God no Snaga, it's the other way round, Eircom get a tiny percentage. AFAIK it's exactly the same as setting up a premium rate number where Eircom only get something like 2 or 3% of the total call charge.

My, we have our panties in a twist...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And yet you will probably grab Esat ADSL if they offer it at a lower price then eircom.</font>

Of course I will, but that's down to economics. I'll come back to that though, let's stick with what's available right now - two months ago I had ISDN installed, and since then I've had network connections for every Irish national ISP on my desktop. In that time I've used all of them fairly randomly, and although I've had problems with hanging connections with all of them, UTV and Unison have been the most reliable and consistent for connections and speed for my requirements.

Note the emphasis on my requirements though, because my requirement might be vastly different to yours. I use the Internet for business and education: writing and reading email; administering my servers; educating myself; etc. I don't use it for gaming or pleasure surfing, so I don't know how it performs for those tasks. But for what I do, UTV and Unison are perfect.

Oceanfree and BuyandSell came in a pretty close joint second, but they were still second. Now if Oceanfree performed better than UTV or Unison, I'd think about using them, but I would still have to remember and take into consideration the disrespect Esat have demonstrated towards me. The performance and economic gains would have to be weighted against the disrespect they showed me.

Now don't get me wrong, this isn't about Esat disconnecting me, it's about the way they disconnected me. Esat could have quite easily written that letter honestly and explained the reason they had to disconnect me. But no, they put the blame on me, they said I wasn't using SNL in the "spirit of the service". Well I say bo11ocks to that, they sold me NoLimits. The fact it wasn't economically viable is their fault, not mine.

As to DSL, that's a different story, a different service. I'll take DSL off the first provider that can get it into my house, and if the service is reliable and reasonably priced, I'll continue to use it. If someone else comes along later and presents me with a cheaper or better service, I'll look at it again - but I'll still remember Esat's attitude to their customers. Who's to say Esat won't boot me again for some undefined "spirit of the service"?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And in addition, if i use an oceanfree account the only pockets im lining to any large degree are eircoms. Im sure oceanfree get some kind of percentage from advertising to their users, but its pittance.</font>

See, now you've showed me your hand, and it tells me that you don't fully understand the game. The advertising on Oceanfree.net is only a portion of the revenue that an ISP generates. Yes, you are lining Eircom's pocket by dialling into Oceanfree, the same as you do and will do with every ISP in Ireland until the local loop is unbundled. But the ISP's get a cut of the dialup charges. Every time you dial an ISP, the ISP gets a percentage.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Just dont call tech support wink.gif</font>

Aside from a call about the SNL cutoff, I haven't called tech support in two years. You don't need to with free ISP's, you dial another provider. But your point is taken - how will Esat treat their customers when they're on DSL? The attitude I got from them when I rang about the SNL cutoff was at best smug and indifferent. I don't deal with companies that don't treat me with respect unless I can possibly avoid it.

adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 10-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭RubberDuck

I want OCEANFREE!!!!!!!!
    But, i cant use it as my modem isnt in the list and when i try any of the rest it doesnt work! frown.gif
    Anyone any ideas what the **** is going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RubberDuck:
    I want OCEANFREE!!!!!!!!
    But, i cant use it as my modem isnt in the list and when i try any of the rest it doesnt work! frown.gif
    </font>

List ?
    Which list ?
    Some sort of signup thang on their website ?
    Can you not just go into dialup-networking, add an account, stick in their number (243 4321 ?) and uname: oceanfree pass: oceanfree.

[This message has been edited by moist (edited 11-06-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Yes, you are lining Eircom's pocket by dialling into Oceanfree, the same as you do and will do with every ISP in Ireland until the local loop is unbundled</font>

What makes you think that LLU is going to mean that you won't be lining Eircoms pockets anymore?

As I already said Oceanfree already get in the region of 97% of the total call cost and Eircum get the rest. Bit of a difference there, but at least you know now whos pockets your lining more.

When the local loop is unbundled you'll still be lining Eircoms pockets whoever you use as a dial up on their network because Eircom will still OWN the line from the exchange to your house. local loop unbundling doesn't mean Eircom have to give their network away free.

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 11-06-2001).]

Yes, you'll still be paying a fee to Eircom, but it will be indirect, through the OLO. It will also be a flat rate that will be regulated by the ODTR, not Eircom. Of course, Eircom are going to fight to get it as high as possible, but the amount that goes into Eircom's pocket will still be a hell of a lot less than it is at the moment. And as time goes on, and the OLO's use more and more of their own networks, the money that goes into Eircom's pocket will be renegotiated down.

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">However, I agree our positions are different and I understand that SNL(or lack thereof) adversly affected your business</font>

You'd better believe it. I just got the bill from Eircon this morning - a hundred and eighty sovs for the month. Can ya imagine what it'll be like *next* month? I reckon next month I won't be far off the price of a 64k leased.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and we all know that esats marketing department got their letter from 'ISP Marketing For Dummies'.</font>

LOL. We should band together and send ACT a marketing book from Amazon. He probably already has one on his Wish List. smile.gif

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Using a 56k modem i always got persistanly better pings with Oceanfree, than with Esat or Eircom.
    Oceanfree connected on first dial a lot more often than Eircom.
    I never used UTV, so when i get connected this mth i will look into it. Can anyone give me their Dublin phone no.?
    I work in tech support and during the 12-2 busy patch i have had to dial eircom up to 12 times to get in on their 'lowcall' no.
    as for the chpa who says his modems not on the list?
    Try creating your own dial up connection using your installed modem.243 4321 's the no. and when you reach the nusername and password screen. Just type in www address on the browser and you're flying.

dahamsta,

I just found oceanfree better for me when i ran similar tests.

However, I agree our positions are different and I understand that SNL(or lack thereof) adversly affected your business and we all know that esats marketing department got their letter from 'ISP Marketing For Dummies'.

Advertisement