Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tagging, i'm up for it

• 05-05-2002 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

here is a site that promotes tagging of big SUVs for their ****ty mpg....

Tagging big SUVs

I'm for starting this in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 stackboundary

Quite good that.

I always wondered why those guys driving Jaguars called me a 'prole' when the police were trying to remove me from the trees I had chained myself to.

Still I like this notion, similar to boycotting, but with alot more sense of humor.

'What is your major malfunction numbnuts'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Is there any body else out there willing to join me on this noble crusade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I reckon that'd be a larf :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Just becareful of the legal implications.....

Anyway, I don't think it would work here. There aren't that may of the "big" SUVs here in Ireland like they talk about on the website, that ppl will actually take notice of the campagin. Very few ppl use SUVs here like they do in the states. Mostly jeeps are use for work rather than play here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Keeks
    Mostly jeeps are use for work rather than play here.

I don't think thats the point, the point is there's loads of people out there that buy these big huge feck off SUV's just for driving to work and bring the kids to school, this is a total waste.

Well ok maybe it is...

I'm up for it, once I get a few stickers printed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Guy bought one of these massive SUVs so I park my Mini beside it.

The difference is size makes his car look really ridiculous.

He can't even park in a parking space if cars are occupying the two places either side of it so if he goes out at lunch time he has to park further away from the entrance where no cars are.

And no he doesn't need an SUV for work as he is office based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

We are trying to use ridicule and social embarrassment to change the habits of the American consumer.

And then the stupid ****s put a picture of a Range Rover on their site....
    Bunch of ****wits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

This really has to be the stupidest thing i have ever heard of,big deal if someone wants to drive around in a huge SUV,If its wat they want to do b it practical r not its no one else business,there the ones that payed a fortune for it,and big deal if they have to park away from 'normal' sized vechicles,if thats what they enjoy y should a moron like you stop them,with the 'magical' power of (*s*******) stickers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

yar yar liek its ouer fukkin plannit ennyway wee can doo wat we fukkin want wi it. ive got loadsamoney if i want to fuk up the werld i kan......

First of all your logic pretty much says "If you have the cash you can do what you want". Fine, Bill Gates should be allowed to build a nuclear arsenal and take the world with him when he dies.

Secondly the point was not just about parking spaces. Nor was it about how practical they are. It's about how *efficient* they are; they screw up the environment more than anything else out there. You might want to take in even more harmful gases when you breathe than you're already doing, a lot of people don't. Also assuming cars will continue to mostly run on fossil fuel, do you really want that fuel to run out in twice the time leaving millions of rusting scrap-heaps-on-wheels lying all over the place? Maybe you do.

As for the effectiveness of the stickers, yeah they're not going to change the world. But if it pisses off ignorant selfish people like those driving huge 4-wheel-drives in affluent urban environments where they serve only as a penis extension, then that's good enough for me. Also this method has one significant advantage over measures that would be more effective; it doesn't get you several years behind bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

totally stupid idea, the dirty old VW van the hippes are driving probably spits out more damage causing gases than the SUV. Most of those SUVs appear to be pretty new thus chances are they are emitting less gases, if that's the course of action they want to follow they'd be better off "tagging" old cars (as they do more damage).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I wonder whether this has more to do rebelling against 'soccer moms' than it does with the environment. What are we going to do next? Try and ban suits because we don't like city-types?

The effect SUV's have on the environment specifically is negligable; this is attacking an image, not an environmental issue. Reclaim the Streets has a point. Buy Nothing Day has a point. Critical Mass has a point. This doesn't - it's anaemic to say the least. Pretty silly.

No amount of publicity of this site, I reckon, is going to "stigmatize the insanity of mindless American consumerism and vapid status acquisition" - even though it's a noble cause. There are better ways to do it.

Originally posted by SheroN
    totally stupid idea, the dirty old VW van the hippes are driving probably spits out more damage causing gases than the SUV. Most of those SUVs appear to be pretty new thus chances are they are emitting less gases, if that's the course of action they want to follow they'd be better off "tagging" old cars (as they do more damage).

i dont see many hippies in VW vans these days....and suv's sheron have horrible mpg in comparrison to golfs, focus's....for a person to go out and buy a SUV unless he truely needs it for work/hobbies is uneffiecent and irresponsible, let the ****ers buy pinins

silly point once again...why not go after everyone with an engine bigger than 1.0ltr...they have no need of it...considering a car with a 1.0ltr engine would get them from A to B as effectively as a 2.0ltr car......it's just basically a silly idea...if someone has enough money to buy a SUV...they should be allowed to do so with out fearing some looser with too much time on their hands is gonna stick stickers on their bumpers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

In america it's absurd to think a few people in chicago are going ot change the minds of millions across the states...in most states it is required to have an emmissions test, this tests for harmfull gases, you fail and you cant register the car to drive, and like someone already said, they are new veicles, they paid a lot for them, and they will keep on paying for them, they are luxery vehicles , comfort is what America is all about and screw everyone who thinks otherwise is thier attitude....
    In Ireland it's ridiculous to think the suv's would make a difference to the enviornment...there are not that many of them around because of the taxes on the size of those engines and because of the amount of gas they go through, people in Ireland are too smart to put a dent in the SUV market...Ireland still has the advantage of fresh air and plant life without danger of becoming a seething toxic country of disease and pollution, a few suv's in every county isnt going to change anything in Ireland for the time being and as I stated before there shouldnt be any immediate fears of suv's flooding the area, the people know better ;) small cars get more petrol per mile and the average person travels more on the roads from work to home to where ever because its more rural than most places in america, its not a lot of traveling through big cities and super highways like in America...I mean, think about it :rolleyes:
    really ;)
    I personally owned a 5.0 ltr v-8 ford explorer for about a year, I got rid of it because it was ridiculously too expensive to keep, the ptrol cost alone , let alone insurance and upkeep...it's just not a sensible vehicle. Found that driving the small car may be a little uncomfotable for space but its definitley more comfortable on the wallet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by BEAT
    small cars get more petrol per mile
    You mean the other way around? :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

hehehe, got me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

At the end of the day boys and girls petro-chemicals are slowley warming the planet, and between the use of petro-chemical products and cattle used for agriculture and thier by-products it has been predicted by the most conservative environmentalists that a global temprature rise of about 3 degrees celcius is not only not unreasonable but quite likely.

As I have stated in previous threads such a rise in global tempratures would be the antithesis of a renewed ice age and again all you have to do is to think of the massive effects the last ice age had on humanity to realise the gravity of what climate change can mean to the human race.

Par example, the population of humans on the planet diminished to hundreds of thousands of individuals... a pittance by today's standards and it was only after the ice age subsided that human civilisation took hold, so in an anti ice age brought about not by man's ability to delibrately influence the environment, but man's refusal not to do so, human's jeopordise the their own existance and continued prosperity by influencing on a macro level the environment.

Thus large cars are not only gas guzzeling expense, but are in effect a snub to the human animals ability to evaluate facts and make logically extrapoliated conclusions.
    Only the most asorbic and rabid, not to mention discredited climateologists do not accept global warming is a reality nor poses a threat to human prosperity, thus by choosing to drive a large car like an SUV in the knowledge that it is causing still more damage to the environment you as the consumer in this instance proport your own pallid understanding of the consequences of your actions, you in effect proport the notion of 'if the rubbish ain't on my doorstep it ain't my problem', ironically if even the most conservative climate scientists are correct about the scale and scope of global warming we humans may soon not actually have the luxury of such asorbic, unconcerned and singularly crass attidutes.

Thus if pressure can be brought to bear in any form such that it might reduce the slow poisoning of humanities communal biosphere I would have to qualitively support it.

Boycott Esso and Shell, mail your TD and demand immediate and expeditious implementation of the Kyoto protocol, demand that the government extends the recycling from certain area's of Dublin to a fully fledged national policy and when you make a choice to throw your litter on the ground or recycle it make your choice and make it wisely, because every single one of those choices has consequences.

"Hey, Eckhart! Think about the future!".

You're a formula 1 fan SearrarD are you not?.....that should be banned too by your logic?....stinking a tag on schumacher's ferrari?...wouldn't go down too well i reckon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

SUVs are covered as work veyheckles in ireland-petitioning polimiticians to get this status revoked would be more ffective than tagging these ugly veyheckles.
    veyheckles have feeling stoo y'know :( perhaps we shoudl tag those ugly hippies. see how they like it!

THANK YOU TYPEDEF...common sense in a world gone mad

1; where the **** did sport come into this! i was talking about making choices about your life style that can effect the planets enviroment

2; again same point to work vehicles! I can understand buying a discovery/ nissan patrol for genuine brute force work that needs a the abilities of these machines, but buying one for going to the office/or ferrying the kids around is a waste of fuel and an increase in emmissions which is WRONG!

3; "we are only a country of 3,1/2 million what can we do!"....Change must begin some where and apathetic attitude like that gets no one any where

the next steps are to force taxi's to hybrid cars or other such means...(easier to start in a regulated area)

• Advertisement
Advertisement