Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PowerNet: From £30 to €101

Options
  • 05-05-2002 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Again rushing it without thinking aboration.

The price is right, the service has not changed. Chorus no longer provide a residential service with a 3 gb cap.

Now if i remember correctly the service was actually closer to 40 pounds then 30, and the business service was allways double the price with double the cap, so thats what they are selling now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

yeah, what is with chorus? They are constanly lying to everyone. I saw in the Sunday business post that powernet is suppose to be realeased very soon, but yet they have been saying this for a long time, havent they?.. 'yes yes, powernet will be available within the next three months..' They constanly are pumping these lies out.

Here's a copy of an email responce I got from chorus in April 2001

Dear Mr ---,

Thank you for your enquiry. Our next base station will be launched from 3
    rock mountain in July/August of this year there is a possibility that it
    will hit Dublin 5 as it covers a 20 km radius but as our coverage is based
    on line of sight the further you are from the base station the more
    likelihood there is of obstructions. I will keep your details on file and
    send you an e-mail as soon as I have firmer dates.

Please give me a call if you have any further queries.

Thanks & regards,

----

Chorus Business Services

Original Message
    [SMTP:-----------]
    Sent: 20 April 2001 01:04
    To: lwhite@chorus.ie
    Subject: availablility?

Hi,

My name is
    and I am very curious in the availability of Chorus Internet Broadband Wireless/Satellite availability for Dublin 5

I know that Chorus have launched the service in dublin 2 & 4, but is it available here in Dublin 5 yet ? I would really like to take advantage of this service as soon as possible !

Thank You,

not only did i get told that it would be realeased this time, but I rang up in early july and was told that it would be launched by august 2001... and supprise supprise, no joy. I just dont bother listening to them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i live in wicklow and i gave up on them and swapped to satellite...i kept been told about a beam bender (curious name for any technology) not working and also that the web would be lounched (like you) in 3 months.

would not believe a word of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Signed up with chorus about two years ago as i live within in range and sight of keeper hill probably the first mast set up for powernet in the country. The logic behind going with chorus was to take advantage of the wireless local loop for phone calls and the powernet service for my net needs.So what does chorus do with this technology that could have aided people like me in rural areas, simple they decide that putting up an omni directional antena would be way to sensible so they just pointed the signal strait at Limerick (30miles away) and though i live only 5miles away i cant get it.The upshot was i signed up not for the channels but the extras i neither got the Phone nor the power net so 3 months ago i switched to sky got rid of the eyesore that was planted on my chimney(chorus mesh thing)The funny thing is that when i phoned them to cancel they tried to tempted me with "WOW" a few more channels(would cost extra) and that i could have a tv in another room enable to recieve the signal.I politly pointed out that i really didnt like being lied to about powernet and the phone service and their service didnt even come close to Skys standard package so could they come and collect their equipment asap.I had 3 weeks in advance paid up so she said would i like to wait that time out i told it was a bit late as the box and antena were both tucked away in the cubard and i was currently enjoying sky.That was 3 months ago no one has come to collect the equipment and they have continued to bill me even though i have phone them 3 times now.It makes me laugh to think of chorus sitting in their little offices with a finger in each ear shouting la la la la at the top of their voices:D.

Stone:D

PS If they think they are getting a penny for the last 3 months they are going to be very disapointed. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Chorus Communications, the second largest cable television company in the Republic, lost €36.6 million last year. The figure was disclosed in the annual report and accounts of Independent News & Media (INM - O'Reilly) which was released over the bank holiday weekend.

INM owns 50 per cent of Chorus which has the cable television franchises for Limerick, Cork and Dublin hinterland. Chorus said yesterday that the figure quoted in the INM report represented the loss before interest and depreciation charges. It declined to state the loss after interest on its €360 million of debt. A spokesman described the losses as "in line with the investment phase of our roll-out plan".

Oh..... thats probably the roll out plan they have been spinning us since WAY back in the day......... yeah thats right "Oh em um, we'll be offering blah do blah de blah all singing all dancing powernet tomorrow".........Give me strength.......

http://www.Ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2002/0508/16882484BZTONYBZCHORUS2BZCHORU.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

GOOD ONE STONEMASON...HA HA HA HA.. icant wait to hear about the look on their fat faces...

they asked me what was the reason i left...and i said 'look i know you only work there and it aint your fault...but ye have no clue...1 day in five it doesnt work...and you lie about you web and phone...'

how the good lord baby jesus can you spend 360million on creating a pile of poo...LOL

beam bender...360 million on fecking beam benders...what a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

If i owned Chorus i would consentrate on the broadband and phone side of there business especialy in rural areas.Simply put they cant compete with SKY but there would have the fast internet access all to themselfs for at least another two years.As you say Fallschirmjager
    360million on creating a pile of poo
    :D this doesnt sound like a company that has the forsight to take advantage of a golden opatunity.

Stone:D

this doesnt sound like a company that has the forsight to take advantage of a golden opatunity.

Well as Tony O'Reilly owns them, I don't think he really wants them to go and revolutionise their service and offerings and compete against his other setup, Eircom.

Who can tell if the assurance that he gave to Mary Harney regarding not sitting in on Chorus boards activities while also involved with Eircom are being adhered to. But in all fairness it was a ridiculous agreement in the first place, but then again the government did really really REALLY want to sell Eircom.

Several months back Eircom also pulled out of the government assisted regional roll out of xDSL services. Esat now have the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

While this reply might be pointless. I contacted Chorus back in early 2000 about the availability of Powernet in Cork City. Since then no service ever arrived and its gone Business only. However I got an Email back yesterday from one the gang with an interesting development.

Thank you for your query.

"PowerNet" is Chorus Business's always-on Business Internet product*. At
    present, it is available in the Limerick area, with plans to launch in
    Dublin in Q3 2002 and Cork in Q1 2003. The product specifications are:

Single PC Up to 256Kbps Upstream, Up to 1Mb Downstream, EUR317
    install, EUR101 per month
    LAN version Up to 512Kbps Upstream, Up to 2Mb Downstream, EUR379
    install, EUR254 per month

Chorus HQ is also developing a similar, home-user product in certain cable
    areas. No launch dates are available as yet, but expected first test sites
    are Kilkenny & Thurles.

*As it is a shared medium, it is not suitable for direct server hosting.

Should you wish to receive relevant information as it becomes available,
    please reply with your full contact details.

Regards,

National Sales Manager
    Chorus Business Services
    3050 Lake Drive
    Citywest Digital Park

Chorus HQ is also developing a similar, home-user product in certain cable
    areas. No launch dates are available as yet, but expected first test sites
    are Kilkenny & Thurles.

Maybe theres hope for Chorus yet?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Maybe theres hope for Chorus yet?

With so many broken promises, outright lies and ignorance, with the conflicts of interest, with the bad business methods and crass stupidity of management, the answer has to be: No.

The ODTR should have taken the licence off them years ago. Now they won't have to, because Sky is digging their grave for them. And good riddance.

Tony O'Reilly can bite me.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Hi

I believe that this has increased dramatically since the Irish channels went up in the standard sky package.

The takeup of SKY by those formerly on MMDS or Microwave TV is so great that it would appear that there will be no customers on the Microwave system by the end of 2005 at the current rate of atrophication.

Rupert will have put his charges (way) up by then of course but it will be too late for the MMDS mob who have provided a dismal service for years at a much higher price than the current SKY offering and with no pseudoVideo on demand or Premium channels either.

Has the Regulator 'asked' any questions about the current state of MMDS TV recently seeing as she is 'responsible' for the industry.

Finally a big Hurrah to SKY's top distributor in Ireland outside of Dublin.........Eircom....... surely that can't be right ? it does not make sense? a sucessful digital rollout compliments of Eircom!!

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The only thing holding me back from Sky - in particular Tivo (Sky+) - is the lack of UTV and Channel 4. That's it.

That said, when a Sky reseller contacted me about it recently, there was a distinct touch of Chorus about the conversation. He said "all UK channels are on the Sky service". Tried to slam me, the cheeky little beggar.

adam

Advertisement