Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism

Options
  • 05-05-2002 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

PARIS - Even if extreme right challenger Jean-Marie Le Pen does not become French President, many immigrants and Frenchmen of foreign origin think his electoral progress has damaged cross-cultural relations.

For one thing, they fear he has emboldened closet racists to reveal their true colours.

Mr Frederic Vagenheim, 37, a black third-generation Frenchman, said: 'Le Pen gives legitimacy to those people who did not like foreigners but did not dare to say it before. It makes racism official.'

Jewish chief accountant Maxime Moyal agreed, saying: 'Racists will have more strength and less fear to show it. They won't be afraid to openly discriminate, especially in the work place.'

The Forum of Citizens of the Muslim Culture received over 200 distress calls on Apr 21 after Mr Le Pen came in second in the first round of the presidential poll.

Said its president, Mr Rachid Nekkaz: 'Muslims don't know who's going to protect them against Le Pen's follies. Everybody is afraid of the temptation of an alliance with his National Front party.'

Mr Moyal said many Jews were preparing to leave France. 'We do not feel at ease in a country where we feel disgusted,' he said.

Others said they were ready to pack up and go if Mr Le Pen gets a significant level of support in tomorrow's poll.

'I do not want to have anything to do with Nazis and xenophobes who do not want Arabs, Jews, blacks or foreigners in the country,' said Mr Albert Wajnfeld, director-general of the Jo Goldenberg restaurant in the Jewish quarter of the Marais.

The restaurant, blown up in a 1982 terrorist attack, received phone threats after Mr Le Pen's latest victory.

Others have also been harassed. Sri Lankan Ganeshar said a French co-worker told him: 'When Le Pen comes to power, you can go straight home.'

From: http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/world/story/0,1870,117718,00.html

I cant stand this stuff, do you think there will ever be an Irish candidate with similar views? is there already?

<< Fio >>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

That ****head is quoted as saying
    I eat raw muslims for breakfast; its not against their prophet

and
    Of course i believe in the inequality of races, what a banal question

Fio, we already have a representative who believes that people who commit suicide are "selfish bastards" so sooner or later we're gonna end up with some sh!teater who thinks like dickhead Le Pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

What's terrible is not that we have this idiot on the loose, or that we here might have one; what's terrible is the fact that there is support for Le Pen and his ilk. The sheer number of people so mind-numbingly ignorant of life beyond their tiny little skull is astounding!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Umm....not to stray off topic or anything, but I'd just like to point out that those "selfish bastard" comments were qouted completely out of context, and some of the stuff that I've read in the papers "qouted" by him has been completely made up.

How do I know this? Because as the papers (for once) accurately reported, he made those comments at "a Youth Forum in Letterkenny" - and I happen to be the chairman (yes,really :P) of said forum,so I kinda feel a responsibility to keep the record straight. Apart from the qoutes that were made up, things were written saying that people stormed out, and there was a stunned silence - there wasn't,people applauded,and no one walked out. And he wasn't addressing a group of "hundreds of young teenagers".

He was talking about the way that the suicide victims' families feel after the death of their son,brother,whatever, and how they could have prevented it....can you imagine what that must feel like? He definately could have phrased it better,but I personally agree with the sentiments. And I hope I'm not going to be roundly comdemned for this; as any of you who know me can (hopefully) testify, I'm not a horrible person.

Ok... suicide is understandable, but also stupid... I think people should just think harder about it... there are some cases when people are probably going to be happier off dead, but most aren't. And i mean by "some" one or two in the entire history of suicides...

I'm glad we have it legal here. It's so much better than making it something so horrible (cause what's the "victim" going to care - he/she's dead). It's much nicer on the family...

So that's my thoughts. cue me being banned and killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Smiley

Racism is an example of the sheer narrow minded-ness that people have. The extremety, facism, exists in all countries. You see, when you have a group of people living in excluded from other types of people, obviously they're gonna feel as if other people are inferior. It's part of the territorial instincts thingy. It is extremely sad and pitiful, but at the sametime it's natural.

So just remember, you're better than them. You know better than them.

^^****e...that was elitism on some level...****E!!!!

Euch...anyway, racism and facism should be outlawed.

Stay tuned,

Mike...

• Advertisement

URGH! why does everyone always say something stupid like "being a narrowminded idiot should be outlawed"... ok, personally there are many people I would love to kill for being narrowminded, but let's face it - why can't they be?

Sure racism is stupid, but people are entitled to be stupid are they not? In fact, I'm quite happy that so many people are idiots, as it allows me to manipulate the hell out of them and come out tops in so many aspects of life. The only thing that annoys me is that ignorance and general idiocy is so often rubbed in my face by people who think that it's a GOOD thing. Feckwits.

Advertisement