Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over clocking video card?

Options
  • 05-05-2002 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!
    I thought id ask a question of you overclocking expexrts.
    The other day i over clocked my voodoo3 card, its in a 1gig thunderbird sys and i know the card is the weak link in this system. I used V. Control to change the core freq from 166 to about 184mhz. I put an extra fan on to the gpu and i was wondering does anyone know how much i could push this card. The software will alow me to clock it to 230 and i think with the fan i may get away with going to 200mhz.

Does any one have experience overclocking these cards and if i fry the card whats the worst thing that can happen, ie fry my system board?

Any help would be apreacaited.

BTW with out the cark over clockd o got a sysmark score of 1599 and with it at 184 i got 1630, The card only cost me 20eur, i wont loose too much sleep if i fry the card.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dont know what type of speed you get from a voodoo3 but the easiest way of o/cing the card is to increase the speed by 3-5 mhz and test it for a few hours(play a few games etc)Do this till the card crashes then back it off by about 10mhz.This should be your optimal speed.BTW Ive never seen a fried video card so I cant say that you will actually damage the card-they usually crash before any damage is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I read on the net somewhere about vooddo 3 3000 only going to something like 186 so you could be near the limits there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well i might just pop it up to 195 then and run it for a few hours and see does it crash. The extra fan i stuck on may help it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Remember that if u do increase the speed that you must let the core heat up by playing a game for a good 5 mins. otherwise you could end-up setting the card Speed too high. it wont seem like its broken but I remember those nasty lines that I once had on my Radeon when i ****ed about wiht it.
    Use some Thermal compound aswell

Well i dident use any thermal compound as the heat sink already has some obder it. The card had no fan on it any way, i put one on.

I checked it last night and i actually had the card clocked up to 186, The upper limit the_bullman thinks. I`ll try push it today and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think your post should be removed strat, we don't want anyone to know about that great resource, do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

what sort of Voodoo3 is it? 2k/3k/3.5k? PCi or AGP?
    If it's AGP just get a new card. Simpler and you'll see an immediate boost in speed. Just make sure to remove the old drivers first.
    Get a GF3Ti200 and a few bits and bobs for overclocking (nice big GPU heatsink, remove any card in first PCi slot, mix some Acrtic silver II compound and paste so that the heatsink sticks on, is relatively6 easy to remove again and still conducts heat well. Then sort out your case with a 120mm Pabst fan slowed down.

YEah its an AGp card i know its crap bit i`ll have to do till i get me a new card so i was trying to get the most out of it in the mean time.

Than for that link strata.

Well after a week or so of trying out my ovre clocked card the only time it crashes is in Serious Sam 2 the only game to push it even MOHaa runs for ages with out any bother strange but true!

• Advertisement
Advertisement