Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way of formatting a hard drive

• 06-05-2002 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

I've just finished looking at someones PC with a view to formatting the hdd. (Win XP, "upgrade" from Win 98). I tried using format: C in command, but it asked for a volume label. I tried getting it using Dir("C:",vbVolume) but to no avail.

Is there any known issue here, or am I flogging a dead horse. If I wanted to format a fat32 filesystem, is the volume label needed or necessary?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

format c:, it doesn't need a volume label.
    be careful tho, people usually don't tell you till after you've formatted that they need something off the disk.
    You might be better off renaming winnt, program files and documents and settings directory.
    Then doing a reinstall. Once your in windows you can delete whatever is not needed and also hold onto any needed files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Create a win98 bootdisk, boot from it and run fdisk. Or else get a copy of the floppy version of parition magic and run that. Very handy it is. If you can't get a copy pm me. I think I have it somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Volume label is for your reference only - you can give it any valid name you like, or hit enter for no name.

Advertisement