Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffer underrun.

• 15-04-2001 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

When im burning cds i get a buffer underrun error mess every time about 2 mins into the session,every thing goes fine and it goes from 100% to 2% rapied.
    I turned of findfast and any other program running in the back round,nothing is running oly the cd copying software.
    It worked fine till i up graded my mb and cpu(kt7a raid ,1ghz pro).
    Chould it be a setting in the bios,chould the 2 drives be conflicting,jumper ect,im at wits end HELP: )cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

What Burner have you got ? What Software are you using to Burn ? What are you burning ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

are you connected to the net at the same time? this (especially with HSP modems) will destroy all burning.
    If you have another cd drive don't press eject on it while burning (obviously not cd copying).. this has ****ed things up on mine a few times (probably IDE power problem i dunno).
    Don't access any of the files while burning, usually not a problem, but for certain applications that hog resources it could prove to be the cause, although you do say that all programs are closed down anyway :/
    thats all i can think of at the mo.. my heads sore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭TOWN

Its a yamaha 2100e series/internal-IDE.16*10*40.
    Softwear is Adaptec and im trying to burn audio cds,the thing is it worked fine before i upgraded me mb and cpu.
    I never ran any other programs while burning be it on the net or gameing,btw i burn cds for personal use : )any more ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

umm, this may sound obvious, but did you reinstall windows from scratch on your HD after you got your new mb and cpu or are you using the same windows install from your previous mb/cpu?

It was a total rebuild,win98 went on from scratch when i got me new mb/cpu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Make sure you have DMA enabled in the system/device manager settings for the cdrom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

About Buffer Underruns

CD writing is a real-time process which must run constantly at the selected recording speed, without interruptions. The CD recorder's buffer is constantly filled with a reserve of data waiting to be written, so that small slowdowns or interruptions in the flow of data from the computer do not interrupt writing.

A buffer underrun error means that for some reason the flow of data from source (e.g., hard disk, CD-ROM drive) to CD recorder was interrupted long enough for the CD recorder's buffer to be emptied, and writing was halted. If this occurs during an actual write operation rather than a test, your recordable disc may be ruined.

Possible Causes of Buffer Underruns:

Hard Disk

Extremely fragmented hard drive.

Not enough space in temporary directory.

Hard disk compression may cause buffer underruns. We do not recommend writing from a compressed hard disk or disk partition.

"Dumb" thermal recalibration (only on very old hard drives).

Other Hardware

Spindown of CD-ROM drives you're copying data or audio from.

Slow source devices.

Source devices that transfer data in bursts.

Incorrect recorder controller settings.

Inability of the devices to sync properly.

CD-Rom or Recorders inablility to run effectively in 'DMA' mode

Overall system configuration.

Computer unable to allow fast enough data transfer.

Conflicts with old device drivers. Do not use 16-bit (real-mode) device drivers in Windows 95 or 98. REM out any old CD-ROM drives you may have in your CONFIG.SYS file. (You don't need them anyway.)

Setting hard drive read ahead optimization to "none" may cure buffer underruns in some cases. (Go to the Start menu | Settings | Control Panel | System
    | Performance | Advanced Settings/File System | Hard Disk and set "Read-ahead optimization" to "None.")

Networks

Recording across the network (a network may be too slow to maintain adequate throughput speed).

Files to Be Recorded

Recording many small files.

Damaged source files (data loss).

Trying to record files in use by the system or other applications.

Other

Copying from a CD that is scratched, dirty, or damaged.

Recorder malfunction.

Electrical Interference from other devices

Checks / Prevention

Defragment your hard drives at least once a week. Click Here for an article on how to do this

Disable the DMA for the CDRW and the CD-Rom in the Device Manager. Some IDE controllers don't use the DMA channel properly when running Atapi devices

Do not record across a network. Copy the desired files to your local hard drive.

If your source hard disk is more than five years old, make sure it does smart thermal recalibration.

Record at a slower speed.

In any operating system, always using the newest drivers from your SCSI/ IDE/USB controller manufacturer.

It may be necessary to write audio at slower speeds than those you can achieve for data, since writing CD-DA audio requires streaming more bits per second to the recorder.

Keep the CDs, the recorder, and your source CD-ROM drive free of dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Defragment your hard drives at least once a week.
    </font>

defragmenting may have worked for really old drives, but most hard disks today have maximum seek times of well under 20ms, youre just wasting your time if you defrag your hard disk once every week..

make sure your CD burner is not on the same IDE channel as your hard disk, or cdrom drive (if youre accessing cdrom at any time during the burning, especially if its a fast cdrom drive, it may saturate the IDE channel its on, and hard disks almost certainly will saturate their IDE channels while being accessed..

basically, seems to me like you have your cdrom on the same IDE channel as the burner.. most people i know have made this mistake at one time or other..

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 18-04-2001).]

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Get a CD-Burner with Burn-Proof technology, if the buffer ever empties, the burner can simply turn the laser on and off when required. Very tasty.

Slaanesh.

When u say the same IDE channel,what do u mean?i know i am using the same IDE cable for both drives?is that it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I was having underuns which went away when I patched Adaptec Ez cd creator to 4.3.

hth

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

yeah, if theyre on the same ide cable, theyre on the same ide channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭RiCo

Buffer under-run is cause when your pc can't deliver data to the writer fast enough as stated.
    Stop All other programs from running.
    Notes:
    PC must be faster than 200 Mhz.
    Most new writers have 2MB cache.
    16 Speed Writers tend to have 4MB
    If writing fails at very low (4) speed with 2 MB cache.. reinstall Windows and get rid of unwanted crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

try burning at a lower speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

get cd clone it creates an immage on ur h/d first then burns it so no more buffer under runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Gaurantee you its a VIA driver issue. This happens a lot. Make sure you have the latest 4in1 drivers installed http://www.viahardware.com has the latest versions and a link to a great KT7a FAQ. Usual suggestions are 4in1's, enabling or sometimes disabling DMA etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

yo,
    when you upgraded to the kt7a and 1gig chip did you change your power supply?
    300 watt would be fine tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Your problem is probably a mix between the two devices on the one ide channel and the via driver issue. I have a KT7a and had a similar problem as yourself. The drivers sorted this out.

You should also run the system tests in the Adaptec prog itself. Should be under Tools-System tests. This will calibrate the Adaptec software for you to minimize buffer underruns. wink.gif

Edit--

I've just noticed this thread is 2 months old so the problem is probably sorted:O

[This message has been edited by BNC (edited 12-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Any particular reason you're dredging up old posts by posting nonsense RiCo?

Advertisement