Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head wrecking problem

• 06-05-2002 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to do a clean install of win 98

I formatted the hdd ,started from a boot disk and all goes well till the second reboot then it just hangs with the win 98 screen.
    When I reboot and choose step by step confirmation it hangs at msmouse.vxd when I choose yes ,when I choose no it still hangs

any ideas folks
    Macker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Will it run in safe mode? any driver conflicts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

but here goes, trying booting from the Win98 CD instead of the boot disk(Change BIOS to boot CD ROM firts in boot options). If the same prob happens again then we can rule out a dodgy boot disk.

AS for the best method to install Windows 98, try here:

http://www.pcirl.com/build/step10.asp#win98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by Macker
    I'm trying to do a clean install of win 98

I formatted the hdd ,started from a boot disk and all goes well till the second reboot then it just hangs with the win 98 screen.
    When I reboot and choose step by step confirmation it hangs at msmouse.vxd when I choose yes ,when I choose no it still hangs

any ideas folks
    Macker

What was on it before? And did it work properly?
    Also what motherboard/pc setup do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Thanks folks

tried all of the above but no joy

It will boot into safe mode

I go into device manager >performance tap and in the white box i have

Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance

Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system
    Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system

Gateway mobo with pIII 550 cpu
    13 gig hdd
    128 pc133 sdram
    2mb graphics card
    no other cards installed

Macker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

have u tried doing the whole format install bit again only with a diff win98 disk?

the disk you have MAY be f00ked

put LINUX in instead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by Macker
    I go into device manager >performance tap and in the white box i have

Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance

Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system
    Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system

this is normal because in safe mode windows uses 16bit drivers, so no harm here.
    AS for solutions try using another win98 CD, did u try what i advised you to do. It6 sounds as if there is a driver issue here or messed up reg settings. Go for the re-install. Oh and i`d go for win2k over Linux anyday. Try booting to the dos prompt and typing

A:\fdisk \mdr

where A:\ is the boot disk, this clears the master boot record - could help. Anyway post back with anything new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Try copying the cab files to your hard drive and running setup from there.

Boot to Dos and try following ....

C:\md cabs

E:\cd win98
    E:\win98>copy *.* c:\cabs

C:\cd cabs
    C:\cabs>setup /im /id /is /iq

Sorry if you know how to do all that, im not assuming your a complete novice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

ok firstly... the Quantum 13.6gb fireball in the Gateway is POSSIBLY going! thats for starters... they are a ball of crap, not fire.. and even before they closed down they were replacing them by the hundreds in a week!

However if your not experiencing the quantum clunk and no read/write errors you will probably be ok at the moment..

If it boots into safe mode then its probably not hardware anyway!..

Now the basics.. go into msconfig (start - run - msconfig - press ok)

then tick selective startup and take the tick out of process autoexec.bat and config.sys , press apply,ok and restart.. see what happens..
    Reason being the compatablity mode can be cause be real mode dos drivers!

If that does not work check in device manager for exclamation marks on the hard disk controllers.. if so then co into properties of the main controller.. (probably Intel something on your mobo) then in settings set it to both channels enabled, say ok and reboot!

As a last resort (or first.. does not matter either way) boot to a command prompt and type:
    fdisk /mbr

reboot!

ALL of these can fix the problem you have.. hoefully one of them will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

hmmm,

Looking at the original problem that it hangs on Mouse.vdx, it is possible that win98 is loading an older version of your mouse driver. (i got this with an optical mouse before).

A suggestion is simply remove the mouse (or use another one), bring up windows (if it comes up), connect to the net and obtain the latest drivers for your mouse and install them, poweroff, plug in mouse an see if she comes back up.

btw, I see no reason why your pc would stop working based on your hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Ok, this will work for ya!

You may have original Windows 98 which is a little on the fussy side when it comes to some usb types, so remove your mouse and install windows without it, when you have installed it then download the following file and that will sort yer prob, then stick your mouse back in and voilll jaysus a ;)

Here's the file this updates a couple of dodgy vxd files.

http://download.com.com/3000-2098-911823.html?legacy=cnet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

OK
    Changed the mobo and cpu and all is well

is it possible the old mobo couldn't handle 550 mthz and this was causing the problem

Macker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

depends on the mobo.. do you know what one it is? if not there is a part number on it either something like 4000*** or 250****

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Heres a suggestion.
    I had a similiar problem myself.
    Pop into the BIOS and change the OS to "Non Plug and Play".
    I know 98 is P&P-regardless, believe you me this will clear up a rake of problems.

Cheers.

Advertisement