Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Festival

Options
  • 06-05-2002 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

GNR are not playing in reading so i'm opting for leeds...

none of my friends wanna go so i'll have to go on my own :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

don't camp
    there are always lots of competitions to win tickets, so enter them and spend your ticket money on the hotel next to the site. camping at reading is utterly miserable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

what the pussy?!?!
    you can't be serious

camping is the main thing about festivals!

scottish girls who can open bottles with their mouths;*among other things*
    missing parts of tents;

the filth!

jesus i wouldn't miss camping for the world;it's the greatest crack if you actually get out and meet people.be outgoing;don't just sit in with only people you know!

Ste Byrne you know what the jive is....(so don't tell on me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 theelectricstar

I'd reccommend Glastonbury X 1,000,000 times over Reading
    However it is right beside the town so its easy to get proper food drink etc.
    It has cops crawling all over the place with sniffer dogs (twats) & you cant bring your drink into the concert area itself (arrggh)
    Camping is dead safe, just don't plonk your tent on its own or its an easy target.
    Once again I'd reccommend glasto, although its sold out you could probably get some tickets from loot.com,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

Having never been to either, it's poinless even pretending. However, I have extensive second-hand knowledge about Reading and Glasto, back to the days when... well, let's just say back to the days. Firstly, there's always a likelihood of your tent getting destroyed and all your stuff with it. This can be avoided by doing a couple of things:
    1. don't bring a tent
    2. sleep in someone elses
    If you bring a tent try and pitch it somewhere away from potential danger, i.e. the portaloos, the fast-food vans, the main stage, the group of skinheads beating the sh*t out of some poor idiot in a Neds Atomic Dustbin t-shirt, the police, etc. Chances are your tent will be fine, but just make sure it's not a tent you really care about, if it was bequeathed to you by your grandmother then I'd consider buying a crappy piece of sh*t just for the weekend. One of the best things about music festivals, as anyone who has been to Feile will testify, is the campsites and the fun-filled mayhem associated with them.
    Be warned! There will be lots of police only too happy to 'wreck your buzz', so take any necessary precautions. However, English cops are a little bit more sophisticated than their Irish counterparts, many of whom believe a small 5-spot to be the drugs bust of the decade. The English cops are generally looking for the bigger fish, so provided you're not The Monk, The Penguin or any of those colourful characters, you should be okay.
    Reading has a bit of a reputation for being 'rougher' but if you don't make it too obvious that you're a bogger from Ireland, you should be okay. At Reading you may be accosted by some flagon-weilding lunatic looking for drugs or money or both. Just smile benignly at him and ask him has he 'dicovered Jesus'; that should confuse him long enough for you to get the f*ck out of there. At Glasto you'll probably be accosted by some smelly, dreadlocked hippy who wants you to come live in his 'earth cave', that he constructed from empty Buckfast bottles and dried manure. A swift knee to the groin should sort him out.
    Remember the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy: the most essential thing to bring with you on your travels is a towel. A good rain coat would also be recommended. Have a good thorough wash before you go; you never know when you'll be able to do so again. That's about it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by joey D
    However, English cops are a little bit more sophisticated than their Irish counterparts

that's why you'll notice them wearing a tit on their head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭beretta

i was at the reading festival last year, and its fantastic! don't be worried about getting things robbed or whatnot, just dont bring anything of value, relax and enjoy yourself. its handy to have a little bag you can bring around with you everywhere, so that if anyone ransacks your tent, they won't make off with your tickets home/cash etc.

someone already mentioned it, but i'll reiterate as its darned important: dont just crash out with your friends the whole time. wander around and talk to strangers, you'll find some pretty great company at festivals like reading and glastonbury.

speakin o' which, im off to glasto this year. anyone from the board going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 theelectricstar

Originally posted by beretta
    speakin o' which, im off to glasto this year. anyone from the board going?

yup, all shivering with excitement,
    i really hope it rains, its more fun being cold & muddy,
    unlike reading last year where I nearly died of ****ing sun stroke,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭megameaty

Anyone hear anything about the glastonbury line up this yr? I know nothings been confirmed but I thrive on rumours so they'll do.

i read on the glasto website that the line-up won't be officially be announced until june 19th... a week before the fest!! but i've heard rumours that garbage, the charlatans and ian brown will be there. i also heard that the rolling stones may be making an appearance, which would be pretty cool.

seen the line-up for reading this year? its pretty ****ty, apart from weezer... last years was much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Originally posted by joey D
    if you don't make it too obvious that you're a bogger from Ireland, you should be okay.

Harder for some than for others, eh Joey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

how can you not like the line up?!?!?christ i went into a state of euphoria when i heard about it!

strokes(ok;not the best but i mist them last year due to free drugs from a topless police man)
    PULP(sweet)
    deftones(i think)
    prodigy
    incubus*well not my tea cup*
    foo fighters
    jane's addiction
    MUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ash
    slipknot*be intersting to see them live*
    weezer
    THE COOPER TEMPLE CLAUSE!*not for most of the musical pussies*
    100reasons
    weezer(whatever,don't bother me too much)

you were saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I was at Reading 2000. Our tent was not robbed or burnt or anything, and I didn't hear of that happeneing to anyone else, so relax! Some advice: Bring a toothbrush. You will get to use it, and chewing gum is no alternative. Don't worry about getting a beating for being Irish. There were more tri-colours in the cowd than Union Jacks, for heavens sake! Don't bring more than one change of clothes, you won't need it. Bring lots of booze! Thats about all you will need.

what someone previously said about the reading line-up being fantastic... hardly. perhaps if we weren't all going to see them at witnness down the road in july it would be somewhat more appeasing.

strokes -- great live band, seen em before, but not too bothered about travelling to another country just to see them do the same songs again. wait till the next record comes out.
    PULP -- ****
    deftones -- new stuff = ****
    prodigy -- playing at witnness
    incubus -- ****
    foo fighters -- witnness
    jane's addiction -- ok, you got me there. but thats only one band.
    MUSE - awful, awful band.
    ash -- yuck, their newer stuff is yuck
    slipknot -- ****
    weezer -- like i said, they were the other exception
    THE COOPER TEMPLE CLAUSE! - ****
    100reasons - ****
    weezer - hmm yes, you already mentioned this one.

i rest my case. (you rest your case? oh sorry, i thought that was just a figure of speech. case closed.)

Advertisement