Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Restricted Bandit 600

Options
  • 06-05-2002 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how the new bandit 600's are restricted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭batman_oh

33 bhp restrictor kit i would imagine
    it wont affect acceleraton too much but will destroy top speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭wee man

most restricters in bigger bikes are usually eletronic and can be taken out very easily by a mechanic.

In some other bikes, the sprockets are changed in size which can effect both speed and acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by wee man
    most restricters in bigger bikes are usually eletronic and can be taken out very easily by a mechanic.

Which can void your insurance and licence depending on types. A Full class-A licence is restricted to 25KWh output for 2 years..........

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

I know bugger all about bikes past the push-this-thingy and
    it goes, push that and it stops. But how does changing the
    sprocket size affect the power output ? I can understand how
    you could lower top end speed but it'd still be the same power
    out.
    If you changed the back sprocket so that you went from
    a top speed of say, 125mph to 80mph, wouldn't that mean you'd
    be pulling a LOT of wheelies ? :)

Official Suzuki restrictor kit for SV's is in the inlet manifold.
    Dunno about bandits.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Cheers Just wondering if it was the air intake or the exhaust, I heard that the fuel jets could also be restricted I'm just curious more than anything else there's still loads of power even with two of us on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by dogs
    If you changed the back sprocket so that you went from
    a top speed of say, 125mph to 80mph, wouldn't that mean you'd
    be pulling a LOT of wheelies ? :)

Nope, it's like your pushbike. The power output is the same, but it's distributed differently, so the entire output is still used, just in a different way. It's all engineering. Bigger Sprocket = > torque, less motion. Smaller Sprocket = < torque, more motion.

I can't really explain it well. http://www.howstuffworks.com/gears.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

As far as I'm aware, changing sprockets is not a mechanism currently used in order to restrict motorcycles..

As far as I was aware, the two mechanisms popularly used are:
    1) Restricting the air intake, using washers (as supplied by companies such as F1 International and used to restrict bikes after they have left the manufacturers

2) Different sliders/jets - usually used by the original manufacturer, when selling the bike as 33bhp..

Hey, I could be wrong!

Typically, when you change the number of teeth on your sprockets, you are either:
    Increasing top speed & decreasing low-down acceleration
    or
    Increasing acceleration & decreasing top speed.

I doubt that anyone would use this mechanism to restrict a bike's performance! After all, the reason the bike is being restricted is to bring it down to 33 brake horse power. I don't think that changing the sprocket is going to affect the horse power of the machine.. Anyone any the wiser?

Just thinking about the size of the back sprocket I'd need
    to have the same effect on my bike's top speed as the
    restrictor kit... Hmmm, with a sprocket that big and an
    unrestricted engine I'd probably be able to have it classed
    as a unicycle ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭wee man

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    As far as I'm aware, changing sprockets is not a mechanism currently used in order to restrict motorcycles..

Its not that easy to spot but in a virago 125cc the back sprocket is alot bigger than it needs to be and also the makers of this bike have set up the wheel so it can only use big sprockets resulting in its slugish speed.

A smaller sprocket on a Virago 125 ?!
    If you took any more bottom end away from that 10bhp engine in a heavy (for a 125) frame
    how would you get it up hills ? :)

• Advertisement

I used to drive a virago 125 and it couldn't get up hills even with it's original sprocket

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've got a virago 125 at the moment - it handles steep hills, just slowly :)

What slows me down the most seems to be wind. Any decent amount of wind against me and top speed is just pants.

That was the only reason I got rid of mine it's a lovely bike nice to drive but I was driving out to balbriggan and the motorways were killin it so, I changed to the bandit.

Have you got the standard or special virago(with all the crome)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Standard. A load of chrome that will require constant polishing for about 500 bucks extra... no thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ok this is a restriction out of a factory restricted Bandit. all it is is the Diaphrams (there in the carb for noobs) They got 2 holes in them and the unrestricted ones dont.(Yes I do have the full license)
    Picture003.jpg

This is the shop restriction. Well I know different shops do different restrictions but this is the most common one. Dont imd the keyring. I just have it on mekeys for the laugh. This is one of the restrictors in me mates 96 bandit. it was one of these in each inlet valve. (by the carbs).
    Picture001.jpg

I am not posting these pics to show learner or illegal drivers how to get around restriction I'm only answering the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Putting holes in the Diaphrams is a sure way of restricting a bike as Seany said. Very effective too and hard to change for a NoOb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Try the motorbikes forum

• Registered Users Posts: 34,910 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

wee man wrote:
    most restricters in bigger bikes are usually eletronic and can be taken out very easily by a mechanic
    ...by replacing the ECU. Cost: 5-600 euro
    The only bikes I know of with reprogrammable ECUs are Triumphs, and some Benellis and Aprilias, and I don't think any of them are supplied in factory restricted form.
    In some other bikes, the sprockets are changed in size which can effect both speed and acceleration.
    LOL, gearing is a trade off between speed and acceleration, increase top speed by reducing acceleration, or vice versa.
    What's restricted by law is power output, not top speed and not acceleration, therefore the restriction has to be in the engine not the transmission.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,910 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

wee man wrote:
    Its not that easy to spot but in a virago 125cc the back sprocket is alot bigger than it needs to be and also the makers of this bike have set up the wheel so it can only use big sprockets resulting in its slugish speed.
    Wrong again, lower gearing improves acceleration, so hardly sluggish.
    Higher gearing would give it a higher top speed, in theory but in practice that bike wouldn't have the power or aerodynamics to do it.
    I've ridden a Virago 125 briefly (test driving for a mate) and it's not bad at all around town, but I'd shudder at the thought of taking it on a 100km/h road.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement