Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reclaim your left ear lobe??

Options
  • 07-05-2002 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Was anyone here at the Reclaim the Streets protest? I heard things got pretty nasty what happened ? I thought it was supposed to be a peaceful demo? I ask cause I know someone was on the board earlier last month encouraging people from this board to attend ,did anyone go along?.

Just wonderin'
    All the best - Trev

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Just caught the lunch time news earlier , looks like the gaurds went a bit banzai, didn't mean to offend anyone with the message title by the way I didn't realise people got busted up as bad as they did! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Resist .

at least 2 of my friends ended up in hospital for not getting off the road quick enough. Dame st. was covered in blood (and i have the footage to prove it)

check http://www.indymedia.ie

the police should be held responsible for their actions - a baton is not a thing to be just used to remove people (who are at the front of a crowd with nowhere to move to) from the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

This sounds eerily familiar to the time of the so-called 'riot' on O'Connell Street after Celtic won the Scottish premiership last year. The tabloids had a field day, in fact the medi in general behaved very irresponsibly, dubbing the event as a 'riot', when in fact it was merely a few drunken Celtic fans and too many over-zealous cops. Once again, the cops seem to have overreacted but it's hardly surprising considering most cops I know are thick, hairy-backed rednecks with a Judge Dredd-style approach to law and order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

it seems these kinds of protests are a new thing in ireland and they simply don't know how to react. rednecks or not, there has to be a strategy to policework. i recommend a protest strategy task force to be set up and to take plenty of educational trips to the continent where we've been used to political protests for longer and hence the police take a more rational approach... why am i posting this?

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

The behaviour of some of the garda at yesterdays reclaim the streets party was shameful. They knocked the crap out of loads of people. Now i'm not saying that there werent troulbe makers at the party but to be honest these cops couldnt have given less of a toss whether the people were there for a laugh or for a riot, they just beat the hell out of them anyway. they had no regard for age, sex or any of the factors that would entre into any normal code of chivalry. they were thugs, i hope the ones to blame for this scumbagery lose there badges. i also hope that this becomes an annual event, it was great fun (the party).

ferdi:p

NOTE: This post has been edited by the board moderator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hi there,

In answer to a few emails Ive received in the last few hours:

Im leaving this thread open as its relevant to Phantoms listeners, but can I please ask ye to be careful when youre throwing allegations around on whatever side. Remember, I will edit/delete posts on the grounds of defamation or a possibility of!

Regards,

A still studious and now very tired Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Vert

Good man pete...
    Yeah seemed a bit rough all right.....
    From the coverage i seen it seems that the police were very heavy handed... but i didn't see what occured b4 it.
    Never the less it seemed all the voilence was coming from one side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Resist .

wow how hip and cool phantom fm is moderating peoples posts on the forum - The gardai beat the **** out of many of my friends some of whom ended up in hospital and why ? because we blocked traffic ? because we were reclaiming public space ? what a load of **** .

to the person who said RTS should be an annual thing, it is. There was one last october and several others b4 that.

There is a protest outside pearse St. garda station at 6pm on thursday.

No Justice,No Peace !

Reclaim the streets

http://www.indymedia.ie
    injured.jpg
    220514.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Uninformed as I am, am I the only one with very little sympathy for anyone directly involved with Monday's "peaceful protest"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Looks like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Sorry - just to make it clear, by "directly involved", I am discounting the innocent passers-by who got caught up in it, and those who were obviously there to have a good time!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I hate the way every time there is violence at a protest the media have a frenzie. And they fail to report on the issues on why the people are protesting in the first place. Reclaim The Streets has gone on before in Dublin and nothing was reported on it by the media good or bad. It seems the only way nowadays to get noticed is to have a violent protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

i wonder what the Garda will do when Ireland has the European seat? and all the Anti-Globalist will show up....
    can we expect scene's as in the other countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

Originally posted by Resist .
    wow how hip and cool phantom fm is moderating peoples posts on the forum

i presume he has to moderate certain posts due to legal reasons, i don't think it's necessarily any indication of his own personal beliefs regarding the matter. it is interesting that the media seem to have jumped on this particular incident, and they seem to be on 'our' side, which is very odd for the irish media. i think maybe it is something to do with a couple of journalists getting (allegedly) beaten up by the guards aswell as some people having the camera's taken.

if the free trade talks do come to dublin, i would think there will be similar exagerrated scenes than the ones we witnessed on monday, as there tends to be groups of hardline anarchists who will travel to any and all of these summits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

there are ones who just show up for the trouble. i met one of them on my way back from the happy party (i got out of there before it got too nasty) who asked where the protest was and when we warned him that it was starting to get nasty he said great and ran off in the direction of the quays. insanity...
    it was great fun in the beginning though. :) so many happy people and samba bands! how can anyone not like samba bands?
    sHeeeeeep :cool:

Resist,

Dont be such a twit! Course the board is moderated. In fairness, and particularly seeing as we are using someone elses facilities (ie boards.ie) it would be totally irresponsible of us not to moderate threads on whatever topic. I made a point of leaving the thread open as I do think it was a deeply disturbing series of events in the city centre. I did however make it clear that for obvious legal reasons I would be moderating posts. And I stand by that.

Its nothing to do with being "hip and cool". Its just a matter of being responsible. Allowing people to make what are in my eyes valid points, but not allowing useless name calling and abuse. Its not just because it RTS, its the same for everyone. Ive been called a fascist before for my moderation, and will be called it again! Such is life.

Regards,

Major Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Vert

Pete is trying to control us all..Watch out people....
    He wants to be a dictator!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Pete Reed

Dont be such a twit!
    you have to be the only person i know who can get away with saying that!!!!everyone else would seem too stupid, or too harsh
    awww!

that's because Pete Reed is in fact an incontinent octagenarian whose offensive vocabulary consists of the words 'twit', 'nincompoop' and 'fiddlesticks'.

pete-

with all due respect, but there are plenty of boards like this out there that are unmoderated, or moderated more discreetly, and still work without legal trouble. sometimes it's important just to let people puke, y'know, and to let others know about it. belive me, it works!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tom E Brown

Hi All,

Just though i would add a few comments as well...

I do not belive that Phantom is wrong in moderationg posts. just in case you dont know or have forgoton we are a yet to be licenced radio station operating against the wishes of the authoritys. That makes us vunerable to any adverse publicity.

This is a forum read by many thousands of people, and its our responcibility to make sure all views expressed do not put us in breach of any liable laws. Think about it, you dont need to break the law to say what you think, or to say what you saw - its a free country after all.

</rant>

In my personal view the events unfolded very badly, and reports of the guards removing their numbers to prevent identification is extremely shocking. Its gives the impression that it was premeditated to prevent any comeback on individuals caught in compromising possitions.

However, I'd be more concerned about who ever was in charge allowing this to happen. If it was one or two people then thats just a few bad apples, but if it was more than that, well, draw your own conclusions as to who let it happen.

Violent protests are bad for all concerned and i dont agree with them in any form, but peacefull protests that turn becuase people are unable to handle the situation are even worse. The authoritys knew about this march, and yet compromised themselfs by alowing people unskilled or unexperienced in crowd control to act in the way they did.

I think what happened at the protest was due to inexperience rather than diliberate premeditated action. hoever, it doesn't make it exceptable though...

Originally posted by shep the malevolent pixie
    how can anyone not like samba bands?
    sHeeeeeep :cool:

I feckin' hate samba bands. I like samba music, as in Getz & Gilberto, Sergio Mendes (cheese-tastic!), but those herds of hippes that roam the streets with their drums... urgh...

Originally posted by Lolo

I feckin' hate samba bands. I like samba music, as in Getz & Gilberto, Sergio Mendes (cheese-tastic!), but those herds of hippes that roam the streets with their drums... urgh...

lolo, have a smoke and relax, it's called FUN! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by AtlantaSuburb

lolo, have a smoke and relax, it's called FUN! :rolleyes:

I should explain that my Sambaphobia dates back to a time when I worked in the City Arts Centre and a Samba band rehearsed there every Friday morning. I inevitably had a hangover every Friday and they used to drive me up the walls. Plus I have a built-in distrust of hippies.

Originally posted by Lolo

I should explain that my Sambaphobia dates back to a time when I worked in the City Arts Centre and a Samba band rehearsed there every Friday morning. I inevitably had a hangover every Friday and they used to drive me up the walls. Plus I have a built-in distrust of hippies.

hum... point no 1 taken, poor girl you... *lol* as for point number 2 i think it's just too easy to be horrible about hippies... *g*

oneArpeggiopete:cool:

er... back to the riots, that's 'libel' laws Tom E Brown, not 'liable', and I think that refers to printed material, not sure about websites.

'This is a forum read by many thousands of people', oh really?

Furthermore, Phantom can't go sticking its head in the sand every time it's afraid of damaging its application for a license, not that posting anti-police statements on a message board would have any remote impact whatsoever. In fact, I chuckle when I think of Mr. IRTC looking down his bifocals at the Phantom license application, tutting and saying "Well, according to this you had a number of people express anti-establishment views on a message board. Application denied!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭anarchy

it's just a few cops beating up a few hippies, who cares? they should learn to behave themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭screamager

there must be some forum you can get that isnt owned by a company that still can get in trouble from whats said.

did anyone go out tonight? how did it go?
    i was at a rts a while ago and from what i saw the majority of people were alrite. i didnt see any need for the graffiti and that crap though...i dont want to criticuise but my opinion is that its a good idea...breaking laws like vandalism and public drinking that have nothing to do with the protest is asking for trouble though, especially when half the drinkers are underage.

the gardai and their falling off numbers seems to be a common mystery though. the burlington and lasdowne riot are two occasions you'll all remember. might be time to put one on their trousers that cant be removed, just a suggestion.

Hello all,

Jaysus now this has become an interesting debate.

A few brief points, if I may!

1. Atlanta Suburb. Yes, sometimes it is best to just let people "puke" what they want but in this case, a posting was removed for serious defamatory allegations against a named individual, and another was edited just for abuse. It would have been easier for me to just delete the posts and move on, but I chose to explain the reasons for doing so.

<rant>

2. Joey D. I know you will forgive me for saying this, but you are bang out of order on so many levels with that post! Yes, Libel and Defamation laws apply to the Internet. Once its written or said and published anywhere, and a third party sees it then its a potential libel.

Second, patronising remarks like "oh really" dont help anybody.

Thirdly, your point about "Phantom can't go sticking its head in the sand every time it's afraid of damaging its application for a license" is complete nonsense. First, yes we can if we so choose, which we don't.

Second, that is not the principal reason the posts were moderated. The material in one was clearly defamatory and in the other was in need of editing. I edited it, made no secret of it, and thats the way it is.

To say that it was a matter of placating the BCI (sic) is simplistic rubbish. There is a world of difference between expressing "anti-establishment views" and defaming named individuals and posting abuse. I made a point of leaving the thread open for people to make their views clear on the matter and simply edited posts for legal reasons as is my responsibility. Joey, should I let someone go on the radio and defame individuals? Should I let someone go on air and shout obscenities? Wouldnt make sense on the radio, and it doesnt here. Would other stations, particularly those with licences allow it? Imagine this for a Saturday afternoon comedy sketch "Today, the story of Garda #****, who is a f*****g c**t". Hmm, not going to happen now is it?

</rant>

As Tom E Brown said, make your point, express your view on this or other topics but personalised abuse and defamatory statements are lazy writing at best and will be removed.

Now, time for tea and jaffa cakes after all that.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM Fascist Moderator Talking Guy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Pete I dont really think you have to defend yourself here.

Advertisement