Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What console would you buy?

Options
  • 07-05-2002 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

Just a poll to check. And if you have more than one just type it in here some where.

Which console is the best? 68 votes

X-Box
    0% 0 votes
    Game cube
    17% 12 votes
    Play station2
    50% 34 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    32% 22 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I just bought my Gamecube on Saturday and its amazing, its feels like the good ol SNES days once again! I lost my faith with Nintendo over the N64 but it looks like they have got things perfect with the gamecube. Its technically not quite as fast as the Xbox when it comes to raw number crunching but is superior in every other way. Super Monkey Ball and Rogue Squadron 2 are jaw dropping both in terms of graphics and gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

it is hard to say which console is the best...
    games make a console successful...

it is still very early for the xbox or gamecube. i have a PS2 but i'm thinking about buying a Gamecube if it gets a very good line up of games by xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Got my Gamecube and 4 games last Friday. I have to say the machine is pretty sweet (and price of GC+3 games = price of just XBox).

The thing is tiny, quiet. The controller is very comfy and everyone who has gone near the thing over the weekend has been lacking sleep from use. :)

Games I got.

Luguis mansion.
    I haven't gone far into it. The game is nice and the effects excellent.

Star Wars.
    I don't like this :) Veonix seems to like it a lot but it seems to be the same thing to me (Shoot everything).

Sonic
    The game is excellent. I especially like the Chao garden! Also the fact that just completing the story line for either good or bad guys doesn't mean the end of the game (Some levels you have to complete later levels to open up other areas). I've already opened up a number of new games (racing/choa challange/good/evil choa stuff) and I guess there are still quite a few to come.

The levels are huge as well!

Bloody Roar
    Beat-em-up. Excellent game also if you like BEU's. The characters are very lifelike and loads of hidden moves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Why oh why oh bloody why do people keep posting polls with one question in the topic and an entirely different question in the poll?

Right now, I would buy a Gamecube. In fact, I just did.

However, the best console out right now is the PS2, because it has the best selection of games on it.

(FWIW, I don't think there's any excuse for not owning both of 'em, they're so bloody cheap...)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I own a DreamCast ... and damn fine it is too :D

I wont be touching that con of the decade called an X-Box. Buy a fluppin' PC ffs!! :rolleyes:

As for the PS2 and GameCube .. hmm .. not sure on those two. I did get a gameboy advance recently and its sweeeeet. Plus you can plug it into the gamecube

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

hmmm i want a x-box
    but i want a gamecube for resident evil
    but super monkey ball isnt my cup of tea,same with mario and zelda etc so i dunno im gonna wait till x-mass,but if the gamecube games look like this i might just get one of them
    gcbio_01.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

hmmmm actually i want a gamecube,the games im most awating are resident evils and shenmue 3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

im saving for a gamecube (damn alcohol, why must you rob all my money!!) and have a ps2. will get super monkey ball when i buy the gc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Got my gamecube over the weekend with Rogue Squadron II and I have to say, this is the best looking game I have played in a long time. It has that Star Wars feel to it like no other Star Wars game I've played (beside the original arcade games of course). Hoping to get Super Monkey Ball this weekend provided that Game are still not sold out of it (have an €18 Euro loyalty voucher to use up).

I also own a PS2 which I have to say is pretty class to. At this moment in time if you had to chose between a PS2 and a Gamecube, I'd go with the PS2, only for the fact that it has a lot of top quality titles available for it. Having enough disposable income I didn't have to make that choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah I was going to post a similar poll now that the GC is finally with us. It'll be interesting to compare it with the poll before all three were released.

Personally, I think Ninty have got people seriously thinking about the GC thanks in part to it's relatively low cost. And I'm one of them. But then the PS2 has some pretty stonking games. The flatbed truck that is the X-box holds little interest to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

It still pisses me off that consoles are still using external memory cartridges which have to be bought seperately. It annoys me to death.

Memory should be taken for granted these days as it doesn't take just one night to finish games any more!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by TinCool
    Got my gamecube over the weekend with Rogue Squadron II and I have to say, this is the best looking game I have played in a long time. It has that Star Wars feel to it like no other Star Wars game I've played (beside the original arcade games of course).
    Blasphemer!
    Tie Fighter rules :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I'm increasingly torn between the PS2 and the GC, the PS2 is probably very marginally ahead because of it's DVD playing ability and FFX, but the Cube sounds really, really good....... can someone who knows what they're talking about give a run-down of games in the pipeline for both consoles? :)

X Box? No ta (Although I actually had a dream last night where someone gave me an X-Box, strangeness)

Mills, you practically took the dilemma right out of my mouth aside from the fact that i bought a PS2 :). Hmm maybe shinjis right, its a sin not to own both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

X Box? No ta (Although I actually had a dream last night where someone gave me an X-Box, strangeness)

Your dream is telling you who your real enemies are ;)

Mmm, in terms of games pipeline, stuff I'm looking forward to on PS2 over the coming year or so:

Final Fantasy X
    Xenosaga
    .hack//Sign
    GTA3 Vice City
    Shinobi
    Battle Engine Aquila
    Auto Modellista
    Kingdom Hearts
    Soul Calibur 2
    Virtua Fighter 4

And stuff on the GameCube:

Pikmin
    Super Smash Bros Melee
    Super Mario Summer
    GC Legend of Zelda
    (possible GC port of Ocarina of Time)
    Perfect Dark 2
    Starfox Adventures
    F-Zero GC
    Fire Emblem GC
    Soul Calibur 2
    Final Fantasy title (unnamed, possibly FF Unlimited)
    Resident Evil + remakes of 2, 3, Code Veronica
    Resident Evil Zero
    Resident Evil 4
    Phantasy Star Online 2
    Sonic Adventure 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i will be going for the PS2 very soon. the Game Cube looks good but i've always had a problem with Nintendo. it will take more than Resident Evil or Mario to change my mind. when more games are released (probably Christmas) i might go out and get one. i have no interest in the X Box

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Isn't Auto Modellista GC and XB bound as well? I'm a complete sucker for the cel-shaded look so I'll be buying it.

Oh, and I can't wait to get my grubby mits on Die Hard GC and Super Monkey Ball 2.
    (possible GC port of Ocarina of Time)

I've also heard that they're bringing the nes/snes/gb Zelda games to the GC in a all-in-one namco museum type affair. Which would be nice.

(Though not as nice as shiney brand new games, admittedly)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GTA3 Vice City?

mission pack addon for GTA3?

tell me more!!! I want more GTA3!!! droolling

Sony accidently let it slip, much to Rockstar's disapproval, a while ago. It's similar to what GTA:London was to the original GTA I believe. A new city (based on Miami), new cars yadda yadda yadda - we won't see real changes until GTA4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

i was gonna go for the X-BoX but the fact that the PS2 can play DvD's that made meh choose PS2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :)
    hello every1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've got a ps2 and think it's great but i don't know if this recent increase in excellent games will keep up. I've no interest in x-box but i will definitely be getting a gamecube during the summer. Anyone know what rare is developing for GC?

• Advertisement

Rare are developing StarFoX Adventures and Perfect Dark 2 for the Gamecube. Both should be excellent. Heard yesterday that both Nindendo and Namco are to produce a Starfox remake for the Gamecube, sounds very promising, hope it turns out alot better than the N64 version coz the SNES original was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well i was going to get me a PS2 but then i said to hell with it and got me another pc instead.

To hell with consoles!!!!

Bring back the atari Jaguar!!!!!!
    hten we`ll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Oeneus
    It still pisses me off that consoles are still using external memory cartridges which have to be bought seperately. It annoys me to death.

Memory should be taken for granted these days as it doesn't take just one night to finish games any more!

XBox includes a 6GB memory card as standard... compared to the paltry offerings of the PS2 which is an 8MB memory card that you have to buy - some 768 times smaller than the Xbox memory card that's included.

The GC also has a 4MB/8MB memory card, 768 or 1,536 smaller than the XBox's memory card - which, I must say again, is included.

Sheesh, the XBox also plays DVD's when you buy a remote - has four players without a multitap, and has broadband connectivity. It's also the most powerful of the four - and overall, I believe, has the best launch lineup thus far including JSR Future, Halo, Project Gotham Racing (Yes, I own GT3, and I believe PGR manages to keep good balances of realism and fun, which GT3 simply did not achieve), Dead or Alive 3, Amped, Rallisport Challenge - and so many more besides.

All in all, XBox is technically the best. And all for only 299 euro.

XBox: 299
    GC + Memory Card (more or less required): 239
    PS2: 329

I think it goes without saying, when all of the above is presented to you - the combination of great games, breathtaking innovation and awesome technology - XBox wins hands down.

Ladies and gentlemen of the gaming jury, I rest my case. XBox is the console of this generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Will Game Cube ever get a mouse and keyboard? If so, Perfect Dark 2 would interest me very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

The X-Box also plays DVD's

Afaik that the X-Box is a nice machine... sure its expensive but look at when the N64 originally came out and the price of that.. Also the reason the GC is soo cheap is cause u dont have the Hardware that the X-box or PS2 has which is DVd and Class sound.. the other advantage of the X-Box is its Hard-drive.. Its really a matter of choice.
    /me watches out for the CEO of Nintendo about to run him down
    Hey it happened to the poor sod who invented the Gameboy after he quit to work for Neo-Geo

Vrrrrruuuummmm..
    :D
    Nintendo's new Slogan
    "Buy a GC or We'll run u down in our Small Japaneese Cars!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

ah yeah but i have a feeling that xbox games will dry up. PGR is good though. But for 50 euro you could get a DC and MSR! beat that. And that broadband connection on the xbox is useless for most of us. And you'll have to buy a memory card for the xbox if ya want to bring your saved games anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Originally posted by NoelRock

XBox includes a 6GB memory card as standard... compared to the paltry offerings of the PS2 which is an 8MB memory card that you have to buy - some 768 times smaller than the Xbox memory card that's included.

The GC also has a 4MB/8MB memory card, 768 or 1,536 smaller than the XBox's memory card - which, I must say again, is included.

Sheesh, the XBox also plays DVD's when you buy a remote - has four players without a multitap, and has broadband connectivity. It's also the most powerful of the four - and overall, I believe, has the best launch lineup thus far including JSR Future, Halo, Project Gotham Racing (Yes, I own GT3, and I believe PGR manages to keep good balances of realism and fun, which GT3 simply did not achieve), Dead or Alive 3, Amped, Rallisport Challenge - and so many more besides.

All in all, XBox is technically the best. And all for only 299 euro.

XBox: 299
    GC + Memory Card (more or less required): 239
    PS2: 329

I think it goes without saying, when all of the above is presented to you - the combination of great games, breathtaking innovation and awesome technology - XBox wins hands down.

Ladies and gentlemen of the gaming jury, I rest my case. XBox is the console of this generation.

Was that lifted straight from an X-Box advert?

Oh and afaik you still get a whole lot of save games on one 8 meg PS2 memory card, maybe the X-Box save games are not as economical with space? Or the big HD is for internet (broadband) related things, or maybe it's just there to look nice. I don't think any of my friends with PS2s have had to buy a second mem card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The xbox hd is also used for ripping tracks from cd into windows media format. They can then be played in place of tracks in games that support it.

The xbox seems to have the most functionality to it (relatively pointless if you have a beefy PC), so the only way to find out which to get is to try out each console ..... though ive heard good things about the teensy gc ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

The Xbox HDD is not the revolution for the games industry that MS make out but give it a year or so and soon OS patches such as MP3/Divx/SVCD etc ect will all be seen on the Xbox.

There really is only one console to buy at the moment as pretty much any game released on a cross platform basis will appear on the PS2, but if you genuinely only want to commit to one console ( and why? ) then get a DC and sit back until christmas to see how things are going.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by NoelRock

Sheesh, the XBox also plays DVD's when you buy a remote - has four players without a multitap, and has broadband connectivity. It's also the most powerful of the

I play games, not statistics though.

And the games I want to play are by in large GameCube bound.

Advertisement