Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seller Ratings?

Options
  • 07-05-2002 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

I think it would bea great idea to have seller ratings on the For Sale / Wanted board.

I have just been stung by someone who agreed to buy something and then didnt follow through.

Similarly I have sold a good bit of stuff through here and I think a rating would be useful so people know who they can / cannot trust.

Finally I do not mean this as a knee jerk to the jerk who didnt buy but think it would he useful! ;-)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

karmacard.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

that simply makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Gunn4r
    that simply makes no sense.
    karma was a rating system we had for a while, n it sucked ass... thus smak's saying this'll never work. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

haha look a gathering card.

anyway tis a good idea imo, but the implementation would be pretty awkard (how do you stop ppl rating non-sellers/buyers?).. i'd personally love to check something like this before i bought off anybody on boards.ie (which i have done several times in the past).. as post count is by no means an indication of trust or honesty, and would allow ppl who havent had the best experiences to share their thoughts on a particular seller discretely.

but as i said, adding something like this to a non-selling orientated site like this is a tricky one, unless theres already a mod out there (which isnt karma!).. we'll just have to wait till dev comes along with auctions.boards.ie so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

I believe that "Jerk" u might be talking about might be me.

If i wanted to be ripped off buying a crap IBM laptop for 620 euros i would have continued with transaction.

However i got sense and a lovely P3 laptop (Compaq) for 700.

Unfortunately u win some and lose some.

Ratings i agree though would probably be good.

I am probably a minus 1 now.

However whats to say i just dont login using a different A/C.

Administration of such a service would be too time consuming.

I myself have been stung more than once when selling a computer through boards where a buyer fell through.

Didnt kick upa fuss though as it would be childish and i know i could sell the piece of equipment somewhere else. Then again if selling a bad deal this may not be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hmmm- lots of us have pre-existing ratings with ebid, yahoo.co.uk, ebay or elsewhere. One way around this for those who wich to display ratings would be to hyperlink to the appropriate ratings query where-ever it may be.
    ??? Any other ideas guys?

Retneil,
    You are indeed the Jerk. The "crap" laptop is in PWO and if you did not want to buy it you should not have mailed me saying "its a deal". Also not responding for over a week was lame even though you were posting on the board.

Login using a different a/c has nothing to do with it, people who keep the same login get good ratings not lamers like you.

Admin of a service like this does not have to be time consuming, you can have a thread per seller where people rate them.

I was not making a bad deal, I am going to post your PM's so at least everyone will know what a lame buyer you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Does buyandsell have a rating system....or even the clasifieds in your local paper...thats all the for sale boards are for...to buy and sell from ppl on the boards you know and trust not noobs. Anybody who buys something from someone whos hasn't been on the boards awhile is taking a big risk and in my opinion an eejet.

Take some precosions. Meet the person in question. Don't deal by post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I don't think"Buy and Sell" have a rating. Ebid have a particularly good one though. Only prob. with the ebid rating system, is all transactions through it now incur a surcharge- which is fair enough, they have overheads like everyone else. Regardless of the rating system, I'm sure the implementation of it will take a bit of work, and of course on-going maintenance. As they say- Nothing in life is for free..... oh well.

I was just reading Keeks reply to a "bad trader" post on For Sale.

Surely there should be some place for people to post about sellers / buyers?

People should be warned about such muppets and told about good traders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

what post was that?

Advertisement