Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jean Claude Van Damme

• 07-05-2002 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

since there has been so much speculation and heat around him.. let's hear some views, etc.. BESIDES him not being in 'high rated films', to make him not be right up there.. alongside, Wesley Snipes..

let's hear it......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Did you see Blackwood meets tough guys, Jean Claude was in it and he was COKED OFF HIS HEAD, Did you see him man, i was in my mates house, he has a lot of experience with drugs and he agreed with me that he was out of his face, jumpin all over the place and running around. seemingly Blackwood done an interview afterwards and he said he was scared cause van damme was mad psycho and really unpredictable. Besides hes a waster anyway

bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

He sux, how many english speaking movies has he stared in and still he can't articulate himself :rolleyes:

The only ppl that are impressed by him are stupid little puff's like yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

lol @ Azezil. Pld.

I saw him attacking journos and other people. He can't take his career passed. He's a has-been. No one cares anymore. Why did you even start a thread on this? Get over it.
    Oh he has muscles. What a talent. We should get him a medal.

Bombidol is right. He's a has-been coke head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 TRIPLE3THREAT

uhm,

every movie I have seen him in.. he speaks english fine.. just with his accent..

notice nobody opened their mouth about Jackie Chan. or shall we not get into his speech structure? notice nobody said he sucks.. why is that? exactly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

LOL :):):):)

I agree. He's not worth mentioning when talking about films because none of his movies really mean anything except to fans of muscular men.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by TRIPLE3THREAT
    uhm,

every movie I have seen him in.. he speaks english fine.. just with his accent..

notice nobody opened their mouth about Jackie Chan. or shall we not get into his speech structure? notice nobody said he sucks.. why is that? exactly..

So that means you're a Jackie Chan fan as well. At least Rush Hour was entertaining in a comic way but what Van Damme film was entertaining. ( except to fans of muscular men - because god knows their not funny )

The reason nobody mentioned him was because you started the post about Van Damme.

Originally posted by jonno

So that means you're a Jackie Chan fan as well. At least Rush Hour was entertaining in a comic way but what Van Damme film was entertaining. ( except to fans of muscular men - because god knows their not funny )

The reason nobody mentioned him was because you started the post about Van Damme.

nah,

I am not a fan of Jackie Chan.. just making comparisons. I enjoyed Rush Hour though. I'm just saying.. Jean Claude shouldn't be downsized. least give him a shot in a role. christ, look at the Scorpion King.. who they have? The Rock!! come on now.. I shouldn't even need to argue these points.....

I rate the rock up there with Van Damme on my list of people that can't act. He can't act.

Okay I admit he can be good in the odd fight scenes but his films try to invoke a message or something. At least if his films were comic action films they'd be entertaining but they're not. They try to be serious and it definately doesn't work.

don't put The Rock and Van Damme in the same category. The Rock can barely do Saturday Night Live appearances correct.. let alone act in a movie..

he needs to go back to the wrestling ring where he belongs. The Rock is not movie material. hell, I can't think of many wrestlers that were. wrestlers are not movie material.. sorry..

remember Hulk Hogan in Suburban Commando? alongside The Undertaker..

I rest my case lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

He might not be able to act but he's got a lovely jump back kick if only my kickin was that good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

He is shít. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

[haha]
    ooooh don't slag off Van Damme his such a talented actor, I can't believe he hasn't got an oscar. I'd nominate him for best actor ever or something. Timecop was such a deep and though provoking film that it made me cry.
    [/haha]

:)

you cant rate Jackie Chan with JCVD, Chan is a legend and has the scars to prove it, he is martial arts icon while there are doubts about JCVD even ever having an martial arts training up to his first few movies.

bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by GreenHell
    [haha]
    ooooh don't slag off Van Damme his such a talented actor, I can't believe he hasn't got an oscar. I'd nominate him for best actor ever or something. Timecop was such a deep and though provoking film that it made me cry.
    [/haha]

:)
    oh i think its' safe to say alot of ppl cried watching that movie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

don't put The Rock and Van Damme in the same category. The Rock can barely do Saturday Night Live appearances correct.. let alone act in a movie..

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Oh I'm sorry, I'm sorry, its just tha..
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    *cough* Yeah The Rock and Van Damme are in different leagues when it comes to acting ability alright,
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

By the way why have you got a picture of a mans chest in your sig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Bombidol is right. He's a has-been coke head.

The words "washed-up", "wooden", "whacked out of his head on drugs" come to mind. Plus another w word that sounds remarkably like anchor ;)

Originally posted by azezil
    oh i think its' safe to say alot of ppl cried watching that movie...

:D:D:D:D

It was a tear jerker alright.
    It bored me to tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

JCVD is a ballerina and not a martial artist, who took an interest in martial arts, but hasn't got the power to execute moves properly, his movies were all show. Jackie chan is the man for doing martial arts movies. Anyway Unlike Jackie chan, age has really gotten to JCVD. Jackie Chan might be slower than he was, but compared to JCVD he is the FLASH*

I want to see the flash again:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Well I'm gonna defend Jean Claude for one film and it was only about two minutes of a film "Hard Target" outside the cafe when he kicks some bloke in the back of the head and it is then shown in actual speed, one of the best scenes of any of his movies. A must see if anyone hasn't seen it, also Replicant is ok but apart from that he's $hite ;)

I have to admit it though , when i was a kid one of my favourite movies was AWOL, but that was basically because of Street Fighter II

bomb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

i cant belive some of yous are comparing jackie chan to jean claude van damme
    stop that,stop it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Jackie Chan is responsible for some of the best stunts ive seen. He also happens to make pretty entertaining movies.

Jean Claude van Damme is steroid fuelled jumped up bodybuilder with 0 ability in anything other than 'having pecs'. Id rather watch wrestling than his movies, and thats really saying something.

Whats next, Steven Segal for a bafta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Giblet
    JCVD is a ballerina and not a martial artist, who took an interest in martial arts, but hasn't got the power to execute moves properly, his movies were all show.

Van Damme studied classical ballet for 5 years, this is true.

However, you neglect to mention that he also became European Professional Karate Association middleweight champion, or that he has a reputation of doing very physical fight scenes. (So physical, in fact, that I have heard more than one source claim he wont do them in the US because of fears of litigation from the other parties, but that may just be rumours).

Its hard to say why JCVD has never been successful. His acting ability is no worse than (say) Arnie, and his martial arts ability is at least camera-friendly and very competent, if not truly outstanding.

He has been somewhat successful - raking in salaries between 3 and 6 million per movie in the mid-nineties. What sank him was that these movies were all average or below-average. Not one of them really carried well. Only one that I can think of (UniSol) was successful enough to merit a sequel, and that went sraight to video.

Van Damme is not a great actor. He has not managed to be involved in that one "killer movie" which really makes a career take off, and he has ultimately ended up as one of those foreign-cum-to-Hollywood hardmen who never really make the bigtime.

As for why The Rock was a better choice for The Scorpion King....its simple. The man has presence. He has a ridiculously huuuuuge screen presence, and he is pretty much a gauranteed opening name, given his massive popularity from the WWF.

As for the ridiculous notion of casting Van Damme as Wolverine.....it would never work. Wrong build, wrong voice, wrong accent. Jackson had all of this and more. He was, and still is, a perfect cast.

On the other hand....JCVD could (possibly) do a passable Remy Le Beau....although I'd be worried about the amount of charm he could bring to the part. At least his stupid accent would be of benefit there.

jc

True i reckon JCVD could pass as Gambit, Dont Diss Wrestling! Pick on hockey or something!

bomb

Pfff, at least hockey is a real sport :P

JVCD is over the hill man. I agree on The Rock though. He can't really act too well at all, but he does have presence. Geez. The man's like a tower. And he has that whole eye-brow thing going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

pardon me ignorance, but whos remy le beau? an xman type?

And bomb, interesting you compared wrestling to hockey, instead of say a daytime soap. Still harboring dreams of recognition by the competitive sporting world? :)

Actually, theres an idea. Dont wrestlers make obscene amounts of money? Surely JCVD could carve himself out a nice career as being a the evil european/arrogant hollywood baddie in the WWF (the acting level may be a step up for him tho :) )

the skill level of a professional wrestler ranks up there with any other "Sport" Not only do you have to be strong, fast you have to be able to remember extremely complicated sets of moves know as "Spots" and you have to be able to absorb an obsene amout of punishment, Acting skill comes in handy too. Anyway this is going to go off topic so nuff said!

bomb

Id be more than happy to have this discussion with you in the pro wrestling board.

bomb

Chill out would ye? Not everyone likes wrestling, no big deal....

Last thing I saw JVCD in was that "Film Stars Behaving Badly" thang on Sky.

BTW he's doing "Abominable", released this year in the US? Or will be released? Hard to tell, sounds like a straight to video:

Van Damme plays a park ranger in a remote community, where sightings of a BigFoot-like creature endanger the local residents.

eeeheheh, park ranger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Dustaz
    pardon me ignorance, but whos remy le beau? an xman type?
    Remy le Beau or Gambit is one of the x-men. correct me if im wrong, but he has the power to charge any object which results in an explosion. he wields a stick and a deck of cards which he throws around once charged. in the cartoon version he has a souther lousianna accent and is a shady character all round.

as for JCVD, he used to kick ass back in the days, but due to his cocaine addiction he's nothing now. Vin Diesel pwns these days.

adnans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by adnans
    Remy le Beau or Gambit is one of the x-men. correct me if im wrong, but he has the power to charge any object which results in an explosion. he wields a stick and a deck of cards which he throws around once charged.

He was also a thief, and all-round acrobat-y kick-ass-y type of guy.....which is why I thought VD could maybe fit the role, what with his ballet and karate and all.
    in the cartoon version he has a souther lousianna accent and is a shady character all round.
    Aye - he's a Cajun alright....always has been (even in the comics). Given that Cajun accent is one thing VD can halfway pass with.......
    Vin Diesel pwns these days.

For screen-presence and all-round-tough-guy....aboslutely. However, for the current "chop-socky" kick-ass king, I still have to side with either Jet Li or Chow Yun Fat.

Never really was a Jackie Chan fan, me, despite sharing his initials...

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

He blinded a guy in one eye during a fight scene and wont shot them in america as a result

Originally posted by Yurmasyurda
    Well I'm gonna defend Jean Claude for one film and it was only about two minutes of a film "Hard Target" outside the cafe when he kicks some bloke in the back of the head and it is then shown in actual speed, one of the best scenes of any of his movies. A must see if anyone hasn't seen it, also Replicant is ok but apart from that he's $hite ;)

you are no true fan of Jean Claude. you have proven it by what you have said. you are comparing Jean Claude based on his movie, "Replicant".. omfg..

that movie was like the worst of his. do we need to start in the beginning? like.. Kickboxer.. Double Impact.. all those..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah, because when critically analysing an actor, you can only make reference to his good movies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

This guy is a muppet, hard target could have been a good film except for the fact he was in it.

• Advertisement

Hard target was cool cause of John Woo

bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

you are no true fan of Jean Claude. you have proven it by what you have said. you are comparing Jean Claude based on his movie, "Replicant".. omfg..

that movie was like the worst of his. do we need to start in the beginning? like.. Kickboxer.. Double Impact.. all those..

It was actually only ok due to the fact that he played an evil character ;)

Advertisement