Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muse/Hives on Sunday

Options
  • 07-05-2002 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I'm just about to send a b0llocking mail to MCD about Dublin Castle. I can see a good few posts about it being a great gig. Not sure what ye were on but I'd have to disagree.
    1. The sound was terrible. I could barely hear it, until I moved under the speaker.
    2. While under the speaker I couldn't see the stage because of the black hoarding at the sides blocking the 1/2 way mark.
    3. I couldn't get up past the 1/2 way mark. Waited in the bar too long. Therefore I couldn't even see the band. All I could see was the lights at the top of the stage. There seems to be a big hill in the middle of the Castle so only the front people can see the stage.
    4. What pisses me off most is that I bought a ticket for the Ambassodor and ended up outside with sh1te sound and no atmosphere.
    RIPPED-OFF again by MCD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭skittles

Everything he said. First off, putting a half way mark in a venue only suitable for people above average height is quite silly. I did manage to blag my way past the barrier but only in time for muse...I bought a hives ticket not a muse ticket. Ya reserve the right to change venue etc but not to change the show completely. people should have been entitled to a refund cuz thats not the show we bought tics for...btw would ya not consider putting a screen over that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I got there early and i got a arm band thing for getting past the barrier i managed to get as close as the front as i could for both the hives and muse and i still had difficulty seeing them on stage. Im 5"9 so i dunno how anybody shorter than me could see them. It was a great gig though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭pookster

Its high heels for me next time. I'm only 5'6". They better not try the same sh1te at Ozzfest, or there'll be a riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tara

It was the same story yesterday....
    There were so many people squashed in behind the barrier, but once you were on the other side...plenty of room for others. You couldn't see anything from the far side either. (but I am on the short side....and I didn't have my glasses) A big TV-type screen wouldn't go a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I could see fine from the centre barrier but when I did think it would have made more sense to either put the stage down the other end of the yard and make use of the hill or to raise the stage up another couple of feet.

I didn't really have any complaints about the sound.

The security in the place where really annoying me. The amount of people around me who got thrown out was ridiculous. Most of them where kicked out for jumping up and down. I really think it's about time the big concert venues started hiring security that have a clue about what goes on at a rock concert. Hiring shaved headed monkeys just creates a bad atmosphere in the place and cause trouble. If people where allowed to do their thing (within reason of course) these gigs would be far more enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

im only 5'2" so concerts rarely do anyhting for me visually
    you gotta elbow dance yer way up to the front!!!!!!
    alternatively im so short i can slip in under people without them noticing. i dont think ive been to a gig in dublin castle, so i cant say what its like, but if im in the pit, its grand, but if not, im f*****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭NÏTRÔ²º¹³¦-&#22

i was at that gig (muse/hives/revs) an i thought it was gr8. i got an arm band thing no probs and i didnt have to go too close to the stage and i could see/hear everything fine.
    the security, admittedly was pretty crap. there was a few people only having fun and they were kicked out straight away.
    thats what you get when you give a guy 2-way headpones and sunglasses.

the concert was gr8. and what a song to end on, "bliss", excellent!

nitro2013:-P
    what's your signature from? it sounds really familiar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Vert

I was up the front for both nights and i could see ok and i felt the sound was alright too.
    Supose if i was further back it would have been alot worse.
    I do like the venue..Although Smithfield was ok too.
    The security was indeed crap...... bunch of shaven head thugs that just wanted to throw people out to keep warm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Well first off Muse/The Hives both gave cracking performances, however I will never attend a gig in Dublin Castle again. It was the most anal retentive security setup of any gig I've been to.

First they took the batterys from my digital camera, fair enough if its not allowed its not allowed.
    The partitioning was ludicrous, to say the least. You pay for a ticket you expect to get the same as everyone else who paid for identical tickets, but no, you get treated as a second class citizen.
    I'm actually too angry right now to put any coherent whinging together here...
    WHY WHY WHY?!?!?

And I'm 6'2" I feel REALLY sorry for anyone shorter than that because I was up at the partition and I saw virtually nothing.

Big black walls?!?! it beggers belief, MORONS!
    Argh!

"Here you, short person who paid €25 to see NOTHING, get get down off his shoulders or yer out!"

"Oi, no jumping, and no singin neither!"

Bruh, snuh grrrrrnnrrnanrnanrfa jf[onvwy]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭pookster

I've just popped this off to MCD, "niall@mcd.ie" if you want to have your say.

To whom it concerns,
    To say I'm pissed off yet again at MCD is an understatement. I seem to constantly get shafted by them. I can only hope that the tickets I have for Ozzfest don't drive me mental.

Regarding the recent Heineken Green Energy,
    Heres some extracts from post I put up on www.boards.ie The full posting is available at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50821 You might want to take note of the following general concensus

Security staff:
    "It was the most anal retentive security setup of any gig I've been to"
    "bunch of shaven head thugs that just wanted to throw people out to keep warm"
    "the security, admittedly was pretty crap"
    "I really think it's about time the big concert venues started hiring security that have a clue about what goes on at a rock concert. Hiring shaved headed monkeys just creates a bad atmosphere in the place and cause trouble."

The View
    "There seems to be a big hill in the middle of the Castle so only the front people can see the stage. "
    "Im 5"9 so i dunno how anybody shorter than me could see them. "
    "And I'm 6'2" I feel REALLY sorry for anyone shorter than that because I was up at the partition and I saw virtually nothing."
    "btw would ya not consider putting a screen over that stage."

The Tickets
    "You pay for a ticket you expect to get the same as everyone else who paid for identical tickets, but no, you get treated as a second class citizen.
    I'm actually too angry right now to put any coherent whinging together here..."
    "What pisses me off most is that I bought a ticket for the Ambassodor and ended up outside with sh1te sound and no atmosphere.
    RIPPED-OFF again by MCD."
    "I bought a hives ticket not a muse ticket. Ya reserve the right to change venue etc but not to change the show completely
    The Big Black Hoarding
    "Big black walls?!?! it beggers belief, MORONS!"
    "While under the speaker I couldn't see the stage because of the black hoarding at the sides blocking the 1/2 way mark".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Vert

Well done pookster!!
    Vote pookster as president of MCD!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Leave MCD to continue f*cking up gigs eventually one of the little guys has to be able to challenge them and bring in good bands and a good set-up. I just hope I'm that little guy :p

Keep it up MCD my ears ring a little more after each of your gigs.

its from that jonas akerlund short film, "try". ya know the one that the pumpkins used for their try try try video, but it has some differences and its much longer. and not edited.
    mmmmmmm unedited things sweeet.
    hopefully im going to witnn ess, anyone else?

nitro....it sounded familair but it didnt make any sense when you told me whast it was from he he.
    think i wil be going to witnness....
    saturday definately, i dont think i will go sunday.

yeah hopefully i can get a two day thingy.
    camping there would be great. no showering, just pure b.o.
    ahhh man, i can smell it already *wretch*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

the revs/hives/muse concert was the first concert ive ever been to and i thought that it was brilliant, but im just a concert virgin so wat do i know!?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

I was at muse... i'm like 5'2
    Saw nothing bar the top of muse if i jumped up & down alot. I also thougth the sound was pretty crappy. it was an amazing gig thought... Muse were coooooool. the cobble stones were annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

was talkin to a sound engineer guy and apparently they cant be told loud as its in town..noise abatement crap. Security for White Stripes when we went in was ****e probs because people were older at that gig...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by NÏTRÔ²º¹³¦-Þ
    its from that jonas akerlund short film, "try". ya know the one that the pumpkins used for their try try try video, but it has some differences and its much longer. and not edited.
    mmmmmmm unedited things sweeet.
    hopefully im going to witnn ess, anyone else?

Hi, on an unrelated point , I got the Smashing Pumpkins Best of DVD and it says that "Try" is on it somewhere but I can't see it from the menus. Is it an easter-egg and if so how do I get to see it?

• Advertisement

see, whats the point in putting on gigs in towns where the sound has to be kept to a low enough level so as not to piss too many people off. why not put them in the places they can be loud, or have a decent curfew. or is EVERYWHERE in the middle of a residential area (probably!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ears

Yeah I dunno, seems it's cheaper for mcd to use shaved monkeys as sound engineers too.

Having to listen to u2 during the intervals on monday was bad enough, but sheryl crowe??? Even when the record skipped, it was left on... skip skip skip. Guess they don't have such a big cd collection @ mcd, rsumthin...

Guess I was wrong when I thought that Monday was ganna be a celebration of Irish indy music - what a joke!

And all the while, Mr pop on 3 looks down from his ivory balcony...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

ears, why did u think the monday gig was 'a joke' ?? I wasn't there but I'm interested to know, I'd heard it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

The Hives gig ROCKED!!!!

I got a arm-band so i got all the way to the front
    I'm a little over 6 feet so i saw everything
    but could i hear what Pelle was saying?
    No!!!!!
    The sound was way too low. I dont go to concerts expecting to come out being able to hear!!!
    I like my music heavy and LOUD!!! dam it LOUD!!
    When ur at a gig it should be loud enough so that you can't hear anyone around you.
    All i could hear was a few ponces shouting "play last night"
    and laughing to themself!!

And another point the stage was way to narrow and the crowd space was too wide compared to the stage, so a bottle kneck was created, ending in constant fallin over and swaying of the crowd.
    Someone stood on my friends head!!!

I didn't really see Muse but i got to know a new tounge!
    Dam you Holly you gave me a really bad cold just before my leaving cert Art exams!!
    Dam nice ass tho!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

Pigman
    i have the dvd too its really good
    Try right clicking on the screen and select chapters it should be about the third last.
    Its pretty much the same as the try try try video but with out the (in some ways) happy ending
    Very disturbing but i still watched it 3 times in a row!

yeah man its on there somewhere.i think extras or something. just fu(k about with it for a while and you'll get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ears

Wow - seems like more than a week ago...

But just to clarify - the live music was great, the joke part of the concert comprised of (I know we all know this already, but for just for soma...)

1. The ****e music played before and between acts (about 3hrs in total of U2 and Sherly Crowe) If the concert was meant to be a celebration of Irish indy music why couldn't they play some Irish indy music between acts- afraid the crowd would get excited and start doing crazy stuff (see 3)?

2. The laughable layout of the gig (those who didn't have bands saw feck all, etc etc)

3. The monkeymen bouncers, who outlawed jumping, running, sitting, standing, smiling...

Also, the doors opened at 3, but the bar didn't till 6 and once it did, Heinepuken was all that could be got. And once you went inside the castle, you couldn't leave (unless you did so for good -no letting back in allowed!!) - so if you wanted to get a wristband, you had to sit on the gravel inside, waiting, from 3o'clock for drink and music. And you had to miss reclaim the streets (coincidence???)

Advertisement