Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would i be throwing it away if

Options
  • 07-05-2002 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I got a pstn line installed in the hope it passes the test for eircoms i-stream. The lady on the phone said my exchange (cabra) has been upgraded but was very insistant that my line might not pass the test and she wouldn't even say what sort of pass odds there are in these situations.

I've currently got an isdn line installed which is incompatible with the dsl line. Would I be wasting my time and 100 euros in installing a pstn line. Also would my chances of passing the test be upped a bit if I had my isdn line downgraded to pstn ?

From what i've read on the ireland offline boards - many many people have failed the line test, kinda makes me reluctant. (that's the reason i'm posting this here instead of net comms).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

From what i've read on the ireland offline boards - many many people have failed the line test, kinda makes me reluctant.

I certainly haven't gotten that impression, although I have seen a few posts talking about the situation you find yourself in. I don't think very many peeps here have actually subscribed to DSL yet given its high cost. So its still very much remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Since ISDN uses the same wires + 2 extra that PSTN uses can't Eircom test the line before its changed back to PSTN?
    If it fails then they leave it alone and if it pases then they use it, they even have to pairs to play with.
    Or would that be too practical and logical for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Mike if your worried about getting a failure on your line test, then I wouldnt get another one installed. There is no point and it would only be a waste of money. If your first line is not upto handling a dsl connection, then theres a good chance your second line will be the same. Eircom have installed what is called a DACS box in most homes that have more than one phone line. A DACS box is a digital access carrier selector, and they effectively split one phoneline going into your house in two, and give you an extra number. The quality of the line and the bandwidth in alot of cases is halved in this case.

To cut a long story short, dont get another line installed. Have your first one tested and then if it fails, wait for cable or satellite. I really think you would be wasting your time and money doing this, especially with Eircoms ADSL prices.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

my line is currently an isdn line, the eircom person said that it was totally incompatible etc...

Should I ring them up and ask them to test it for dsl, is that actually possible ? I'm sure they would have mentioned it to me. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of course that they'd like to get 100 euros off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

I'm in the same situation, I have an isdn line that failed the DSL test BEFORE i upgraded to Isdn, but I have heard some ppl say they failed for the dsl trial, only to pass now when money becomes an issue.... and the line I have isdn on now is new... hmm, i dunno what to do, it'l cost me another 200euro if the line fails and to be honest, I think it will :(

Comon Radsl, where are ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Did I not read somewhere on this forum that DSL can actually run over ISDN lines? And that eircoms claims to the contrary were a mockery of a sham?

Or maybe I imagined that, too lazy to go searching :]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by PiE
    Did I not read somewhere on this forum that DSL can actually run over ISDN lines? And that eircoms claims to the contrary were a mockery of a sham?

Yes, dsl can run over isdn lines, apparently not in this country.
    It is normal practice in germany, a friend of mine in a german city got dsl over his isdn line last year for an extra 10 euro per month.
    Somehow eircom cannot do it...mind boggles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Heh, goodie. Knew I wasnt going mad, I've a good 2-3 years left on this brain-warranty.

Advertisement