Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sry.. But the story with ADSL at the moment is?

• 03-06-2001 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

sry.. But the story with ADSL at the moment is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

AFAIK it'll be about january 2002 before Dublin customers will have it.
    move country. Or marry an Eircom employee. They and their friend get to "trial" it. Swines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

January 2002 aint bad thats ... bout 6 months not to long to wait i suppose .. but how long till it reaches Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

According to a girl in eircom, ADSL is being supplied to banks etc in CBD in dublin.
    Resedential will begin in september with ISDN exchanges getting preference but most exchanges in dublin are good to go.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:
    They and their friend get to "trial" it. Swines.</font>

Not all of them unfortunately, I already got my friends uncle to try and arrange it, but to no avail.

Swines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Eircom are going to start selling DSL in selected parts of Dublin (subject to an exchange check etc) in September 2001.

-Son of Blam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 nard

can you spell expensive ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

http://www.esatfusion.ie/adsl/adslp1.shtml

...interesting.

Bard
    Ying-Tong-Iddle-I-Po!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, especially the requirements that says:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Your PC must meet certain minimum requirements. These minimum requirements include the following: 16 bit sound card, USB socket on your computer, 150Mb free on the hard drive, Pentium 200Mhz or equivalent and a video card/display capable of 800x600.
    </font>

16-bit sound card? Does the line connect to the midi port or something? wink.gif

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Just a note on xDSL in Ireland, I think we may be fooling ourselves into thinking that we may have xDSL in the next 6 months, but i feel the way the current climate is going and until the local loop is "unbundled" at a cheaper price and eircom are finished in the courts, we are probably not going to get an affordable xDSL solution.

This is my opinion on the matter smile.gif

I would not complain if we got xDSL as early as september obviously, but I dont see it happening anytime soon frown.gif

[This message has been edited by flamegrill (edited 04-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

But cant the ODTR set the price they want for the ADSL, local loop what ever.. didnt they set it at like 13.50 for a month or somthing.. and h=why doesnt the government do something about the monopoly that Eircom is doing atm, conserning unbundiling the LL.

• Advertisement

well you see, eircom have taken the ODTR set to the courts, they think the price that the ODTR is too low. So when that court case is finished with, maybe then somthing will happen.

let us all pray for xDSL smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Afaik Esat is very against bit stream access as it doesnt give them the control over the line.

If they do sell bit stream and joe soap the punter cant get online, hes got to ring esat and esat has to ring eircom. The control just isnt there to make it viable really especially for a company who has the resources to handle it themselves if they can get physical access to the wires.

Bit stream access is being pushed by eircom as they simply dont want to give access to the local loop to anyone, but if the price the ODTR set stays then its cheap enough to put their own equipment in(esat, eurokom etc..) rather than rent eircom equipment and muddle the whole operation up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ok, let's dispel a few myths and kill off some disinformation...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">http://www.esatfusion.ie/adsl/adslp1.shtml</font&gt;

Sorry Bard, but as someone else pointed out that's been up there for ages, six months minimum. By all means fill it in though, let them know you're there.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">16-bit sound card? Does the line connect to the midi port or something?</font>

This isn't unusual for ISP requirements. It's possible, even probable, that they'll try and tie subscribers into their own services and sites, like a lot of dialup ISP's do now. When you or they install the software, it'll brand your browser and mailer and set default homepages and the like. Because the service will be broadband, it's likely they'll introduce multimedia services too, hence the sound and video requirements. This was Eircom's original intention, and is a contributing factor to them sizing down and discontinuing the DSL trials - the regulator made it difficult for them, because she allowed monopolistic area coverage clauses into the cable providers contracts, thus precluding Eircom from selling most multimedia services.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">as for when there going to start selling it. jan 2002 is the date set and they will not be selling it befor then. thats from the head of ADSL in eircom</font>

No, that's what the head of ADSL in Eircom is told to tell people. Eircom could start rolling out DSL tomorrow if they wanted to, there is no technical reason for them not to. And if the takeover of Eircom is completed with someone sensible at the helm, that's what will happen. Don't believe the hype.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">well you see, eircom have taken the ODTR set to the courts, they think the price that the ODTR is too low. So when that court case is finished with, maybe then somthing will happen. let us all pray for xDSL</font>

Actually, to be fair, I've seen no actual evidence of this. It's a rumour I have to admit I propogated myself, but I'm not entirely sure it's true. It could be, but I've yet to see it being reported definitively in the press.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">DSL modems are in the finel tests and are beening installed in tel exchange around dublin.</font>

DSL modems go in your computer, the thing that goes in an exchange is a DSLAM, and they've been installed and running in exchanges in Dublin and Ennis for several years now.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">they will starts selling DSL servers in jan 2002.</font>

What, pray tell, is a DSL server?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">esat can not do any thing. they just have to wait till the they get access to the tel exchanges, even if they got access today it woudl take them min 6-12 months to do up plans get the tec setup right and then to install them.</font>

Most of the arrangements for actual local loop unbundling have been agreed upon by the ODTR, Eircom and the OLO's for the best part of a year. SLA'a are being finalised at the moment, so the only real thing holding LLU back is pricing. If Eircom agree to pricing tomorrow, Esat can go into an exchange tomorrow. The suggestion that Esat aren't technically prepared to start rolling out DSL is frankly ludicrous.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">what they will be doing 99% chance is reselling the DSL modems that eircom installed for the same or a bit cheeper. this is called bit rate selling.</font>

Bitrate is actually the reason all the OLO's *except* Esat pulled out of DSL trials in the first place. Esat will roll out DSL either way, and bitrate can't be ruled out, but the regulator has released a decision notice which allows co-location, virtual co-location and bitstream.

adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 04-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Joe23

dahamsta were i work, it took esat 3 months to install a t1 xdsl connection, esat arent as quick as you may like.

and btw what exactly is a DSLAM, ive a ruff idea but could you please explain, thank you.

The DSLAM seperates the voice and data signals.
    Also routes the DSL lines from the users end into the providers network.

Why has eircom been so secretive about DSL?
    i recently had a email from some1 @ eircom with the address of ****@adsleircom.ie.when i asked the guy if he was involved in eircoms DSL he refused to reply.
    jesus the least they could do is toss us a bone.
    smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    i recently had a email from some1 @ eircom with the address of ****@adsleircom.ie.
    </font>
    i dont know about the address adsleircom.ie , but i know it doesnt exist
    a quick host -la adsleircom.ie proves that,

root@homelands:~# host adsleircom.ie

Host not found.

there should be an mx record for the domain name even if there is no website.
    also a quick check in the .ie domain registry also says that the domain does not exist.

sorry if i did not get it right but it was some variation of that then, maybe coyote will know.
    but there is an ADSL division with a email like that.i sold the guy my old office 97 so it was a bit back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Coyote:

when people say DSL that means any of the the folling thing DSL types:
    HDSL
    ADSL
    SDSL
    XDSL
    DSL

</font>

Most of your points are valid a number I would disagree on, one thing though, XDSL? No such thing I'm afraid, xDSL covers all flavors of DSL.
    As for it taking 8-10 months for Esat to roll out DSL, I think that you will be surprised, nationwide will be slow, like eircom, but for the heavily populated areas you will see them out on the streets within weeks.

Coyote,

"dahamsta as someone part of the trial i might know what i'm talking about."

I don't believe you.

"now if you think you can talk to the head of the DSL you just try it. lol"

I don't want to.

"do you even know what his name is ?"

I don't need to.

"I have had meeting wiht the board of eircom and the head of DSL in there board-room, i have seen the maps of the Tel exchanges and where they reach and at what speed. I know the places where it's installed how many people on it when the next faze of it's starting how many people will be on that what tel exchanges that it will be running from. what the line speeds can be."

And I don't believe any of that.

Sorry.

• Advertisement

And Leverz just posted one of the reasons why I don't believe you. You're working off rumour, supposition and disinformation, and it was obvious from your first post. Me, I work off it too, because there's very little real information out there, but at least I read the ODTR documents and technical information and piece it together in a coherent manner.

Please, stop, you're just confusing the issue.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Coyote,

You might want to check your facts a bit before you start acting like you know the in and out's of xDSL in Ireland.
    I also find it kinda hard to believe that someone who has level of spelling and grammar ends up in the same room as "the board of Eircom"......

you guys are fairly distrusting.
    wink.gif
    lets test Coyote though....
    if you work at the top of the Eircom tree then setup a temporary email address @ Eircom so you can prove these guys wrong...
    And their distrust of you in nothing to do with their jealously of you if in fact you have DSL of some flavour.
    smile.gif

Nuffing to do with distrust chernobyl. Credibility is the keyword.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think Coyote's spelling and grammar can be forgiven, seeing as he is dyslexic.

- Munch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Bear in mind also that Coyote manages a large Internet Cafe; and therefore would be one of Eircoms leased-line customers... I find it reasonable to assume he would be able to get info on DSL, as seen as he may want to use it at some point in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Coyote:

I have had meeting wiht the board of eircom and the head of DSL in there board-room, ...
    </font>

Hmmm, Manager of Internet Cafe taken in for a board meeting?
    Hard to believe, no matter the size of the cafe.

Spelling can be forgiven, but failure to use the spell checker? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Labyrinth

The silly story of xDSL that wont go away.....

First of all, I want to say that I work in the networking and communication business. Now when I say that, I am at the level that I know what I'm talking about. Sorry, I know thats very egotistical, but I just want to set the record straight on DSL.

1) Eircom made all their DSL staff redundant in March - How can you roll out a network with no staff ?

2) The primary motive behind Eircom not rolling out DSL at this point in time is that they have no interest in deploying a data only service. They want to rollout a multimedia based broadband service ( why do you think they have all those multimedia companies ). The first problem with this is that ADSL is no use - you need at least 6Mb/s bandwidth to provide a MPEG2 video stream. ADSL can be stretched to 2Mb/s. so they have to use vDSL to get the higher bit rate.

Secondly on this, NTL and Chorus have exclusive rights to transmit tv signals - Eircom have tried to take the OTDR to court on this and it failed. Eircom hoped that when NTL announced that they wouldnt meet their quota of serviced homes in Dublin that they would be censured and that exclusive clause taken away. Hence they would be able to get into the market. When no action was taken by the OTDR, they stopped all DSL development and let all their staff go.

3) Eircom have played this game before - not offering frame relay services and still pushing X25. You had to threaten Eircom with court action ( nearly ) to get them to provide Frame Relay. Remember when it took 4 months+ to get an ISDN line installed ??

It is possible to get a pair of unconditioned copper wires from Eircom ( as long as they run in and out of the same exchange ) and to install your own DSL modems. I have numerous large clients who have been doing this for several years. Again, you needed a lot of clout with Eircom to get them. Eircom are very anti-broadband and a lot of people over the years have tried to keep their unconditioned circuit, and just increase the speed of the modems on them. Still to this day, Eircom will just say 'we have moved you to our digital network' and tough luck that your baseband circuit is now conditioned...

I wont go into a dissertation on how exaclty xDSL works and its limitations.... but dont expect ESAT to deploy DSL in less than 6 months after gain access to the LL. 6 months is optimistic - only IF they actually have all the equipment on order.

Oh yeah...and Esat are the penniless child of the finacially destitute BT.

Nuff said...

Ace Rimmer.

Ace i read the first paragraph of you post and i will read no more cuz you made a big big error.
    ADSL can run @ a maximum of 8MBit/s even with some1 being 3.5K from the exchange and SDSL has maximum in the 60MBit/s range.
    2Mbit/sec "Mulitmedia" services would not make that connection break a sweat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

actually they didn't make their dsl staff redundant-they didn't renew the contract of the suits from kpmg

Advertisement