Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partitions

• 12-06-2001 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

can you see the partitions in fdisk?
    if they are there and win2k boots, you should be able to see them.
    cant think of anything of hand that would stop it
    can you access them in dos?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Right click "My Computer" and select "Manage"

Go to Storage->Disk Management part of the tree and you should be able to set up your hard drives there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Right click "My Computer" and select "Manage"

Go to Storage->Disk Management part of the tree and you should be able to set up your hard drives there.

</font>

i suspect this will only work if you can see the drives, which he cant?
    yes/no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Nope. It's possible he can't see the drives normally but they are there. That should allow him to set them up to be visible.

Although he hasn't done it, it can also show you virtual directories (Eg. I have C:\temp pointing to a 2GB drive which was previously drive D :).

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 12-06-2001).]

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

fdisk didn't show them at all and I couldn't access them in dos.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I've been given a machine to fix that had Win2K on it. It has a 10gig hard disk split into 3 partitions. At first when the machine was booted up, it didn't recognise the HD. I figred out the MBR was corrupt and did a fdisk /mbr and that got the machine to boot up into Win2K. I can't see the D: or E: drives though. Anyone know how to restore the partitions? There is info on them that we *have to* get.
    Damn staff - I sent around an e-mail telling them to back up their stuff, but noooooooo.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

If you know anything about editing about using programs such as DE.exe (Norton Diskedit) you can chop around with the partition table, and well depending on how much you know about it, You might be able to fix it up. Try some of the norton disk repair apps,

Try reading it in Linux, This tends to work quite well. Ive used linux to read partitions that other mircosoft os's couldnt read

RentZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I can see the ad now:

NEW LINUX!
    Reads the partitions ordinary O/s's leave behind!

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

Advertisement