Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADD community - Anime/Manga

• 07-05-2002 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭

Forum name: Anime/Manga
    Description: discussions of all things Anime/Manga

I think it might be a runner :).

Ill go back to my hole now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I second this ... err... suggestion.

Is there enough demand though?
    I know besides myself (and my significant other) there's a bunch of manga fans around these here parts.
    Anyone up for a mini film bash? Or is there one being organised? Bunch of people watching manga films :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Citizen_Square

hhmmmmm maybe not undelicious.

i second his motion and say thank u for ur suggestion mr. smak

Yeah, well done Smak.

On a Manga note, and how much we love it, check out these babies:

http://www.mcfarlane.com/toyfair2001/catalog.anime2.intro.html

Myom myom.

[/sad]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Our very own Cloud runs a whole site filled with more anime and manga boards than you can shake a stick at.

You'll find it at

www.animetomanga.com

Be carefull of the Sailor Moon board... I heard the mod is an asshole. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

cool.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd throw in Comics into that too...
    I'll ask Cloud what he thinks about it as I bow to his superior (and frankly quite worrying) knowledge of all things Anime.

DeV.

Yay!

And an applauding noise in Devore's general direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Manga *are* comics, Tom... :)

I don't see the point, given Cloud already runs MangaToAnime.com, and there are only occasional random anime threads on Films/TV and Art/Animation.

That being said, god knows I waste enough of my life/bandwidth/disposable_income on all things anime/manga related.... :(

i concur with devs idear of comics being added.

please make us happy daddy-cloud.... please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Comics is good name, Anime is already catered for by said site, and I'm sure there are plenty of 2000 AD and Beano and general non-saucer eyed characters that are loved and generally splooged on by certain elements of the boards.ie population.

Therefore it is with a light heart and furious anger that I wholeheartedly award the suggestion of a Comics board my full and unreserved endorsal of said product and/or service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Comics board: Yes!

Anime/Manga board: Undecided. One can argue that with Cloud's site its not really neccessary - but then not everyone wants to integrate into *another* forum community.

It'd be interesting to see if the board would get a lot of traffic - I know there's a good few anime/manga fans out there but the Film/TV and Art boards aren't exactly overflowing with anime/manga related posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

The Eirtaku Irish anime and manga community already hang out on #mangatoanime on QuakeNet and use the Eirtaku forum at M2A:

http://www.mangatoanime.com/manga/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?&forumid=35

Having said that, a general Comics forum could be a go-er here, but I don't know if there are many non Sci-Fi comics that couldn't be discussed in the Sci-Fi / Fantasy forum.

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Anime/Manga board: Undecided. One can argue that with Cloud's site its not really neccessary - but then not everyone wants to integrate into *another* forum community.

Good point. I leave boards.ie open in the background sometimes, check it when work slows down etc etc.
    But the gods have spoken :)

Cloud; what about the possibility of adding the MangaToAnime Eirtaku forum into the drop down links on Boards.ie? Seems to me like it's relevant to both sites, and it'd be nice to be able to get to it directly from Boards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by Shinji
    Cloud; what about the possibility of adding the MangaToAnime Eirtaku forum into the drop down links on Boards.ie? Seems to me like it's relevant to both sites, and it'd be nice to be able to get to it directly from Boards...
    Might that not cause confusion to (a) have a redirect to another, probably different-looking site (haven't looked, to be honest) and (b) have that other site require a different login/password thingy?

Just a thought...
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

looked at sirte now registered. like the apple layout very nice could it be imported to boards.ie?

Gadget is right for the complete newb it would be confusing. that that all news are dumb but there is a fair amount of them. It may however be possible to add the user accounts from boards.ie to m2a. but it would have to be on request only as the surpluss of inactive users would not be needed. I have Kraken registered there so im grand.

Its layout is very much like boards.ie apart from the menu, but still quiet a good site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

The OS X layout is absolutely gorgeous (i just hope no one from Apple spots it tho...)

just signed up to m-t-a. cheers for the link bubbles.

while on the subject of the 'styles', the Ranma style is deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I usually post/lurk in mangatoanime.com and I'm usually in the IRC channel.

Anyway, I think it would be a really good idea to have a link from boards.ie to mangatoanime.com .... maybe in the frontpage or perhaps somewhere else...

Unfortunately, there are not alot of irish otakus .... if I knew more otakus from my college, we could even set up an anime society or something, and have alot of anime screenings for everyone :)

Unfortunately, there are not alot of irish otakus ....

I dunno. When I was living in Ireland and travelling over to UK conventions, I was about the only person doing so. Last I checked, there are at least 5 or 6 Irish folk signed up already for AyaCon III next November...

It's typical, I leave and all the Irish otaku start to come out of the woodwork! Still planning to drag over some of our nice fresh stuff of Jap TV and have an anime night in in Dublin sometime when I'm over, mind... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Well, id like to contribute to this eirtaku thing. If peeps need movies for screenings etc then let me know. By the by, is the irc channel frequented by people or is it empty alot?

There's around five of us who are connected to IRC 24/7, but of course, we idle alot. Depending on the time tho, more people join and sometimes we actually do chat alot.

By the way, I might screen some anime in Trinity next week... I'm not entirely sure yet because of exams and so on...

Anyway, if I do this, anyone would be be free to go, of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Comics yes, Anime/Manga why?

smak sci/fi board is there and you've never posted anything related to Anime/Manga to it... in fact there have been a few threads Anime/Manga related and i believe you didn't post to those either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

There have always been comic related threads in the collecting board

bomb

sci-fi != manga/anime

Originally posted by Lord of Terror
    sci-fi != manga/anime

agreed.

Originally posted by Lord of Terror
    sci-fi != manga/anime
    most of it falls under sci-fi or fantasy so i dont see the point of a seperate forum.

Especially since such topics previously started have drawen little attention.

Originally posted by azezil
    most of it falls under sci-fi or fantasy so i dont see the point of a seperate forum.

Especially since such topics previously started have drawen little attention.

I consider it a totally seperate genre, as do many others...

I agree that there doesnt need to be an Anime/Manga forum, because we have www.mangatoanime.com, but instead of a new forum there should be a link to www.mangatoanime.com, so that all the anime/manga fans have someone to talk to.

most of it falls under sci-fi or fantasy

You haven't seen much of it have you?

There are easily as many rom-coms, historical dramas, thrillers etc in anime as there are sci-fi or fantasy type shows and films. Not to mention loads of stuff like Card Captor Sakura or Full Moon wo Saga****e, which are both technically "fantasy" but there's no way in hell you'd get them discussed on a western fantasy type forum...

It's a medium and genre of it's own. You can't pigeonhole it as a subset of sci-fi and fantasy.

• Advertisement

What Shinji said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, what Shinji said. A lot of comics are sci-fi/fantasy but not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

i agree with amp, Beano and Dandy are not sci-fi are they?

i didn't say all comics were sci-fi, but what manga films i've seen have fallen under the heading of sci-fi/ fantasy

As far as "main-stream" manga/anime/etc goes (you can buy it in HMV, heh), what would you consider say Perfect Blue to be?
    (Just an example).

Anime/Manga communities are very different to sci-fi/fantasy ones...
    I dont think they mix very well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

By jove! I better join manga to anime, and Shinji, do that anime thing over here you were talking about :D

Advertisement