Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl and flat-rate

Options
  • 07-05-2002 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Howard reports on ie.comp (6 May 2002) that Ntl have applied for a flat rate service. ODTR said (9 April 2002) no applications have been received. What's the story?

> I met with NTL management on 2nd May.

[snip]

> Also, NTL have applied for a Flat rate service from Eircom
    > but have not succeeded in obtaining it.
    >
    > Howard Brittain
    > Ireland OFFline lobbying spokesman

REPORT ON IOFFL MEETING WITH ODTR - 9 April 2002
    [snip]
    The ODTR, while fully aware of the advantages of a flat-rate Internet product, pointed out that very little demand-profiling exists to support the case, and that they believe that eircom have still to date received no requests from any of the 28 licensed telecommunications operators with regard to providing such a service.

[snip]

The ODTR said that even under such legislation, they still required an operator to request the service before they could act. The interconnect legislation is generally based on the assumption that the regulator acts in response to demands from telecoms operators, and does not empower them to mandate services preemptively in the absence of this.

http://www.irelandoffline.org/article.php?story=20020417082349847

ganam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

When did NTL apply for flat rate, do we know?

I'm amazed that they haven't made a bigger deal of it, if this is the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Esat also maintain that they have been negotiating for flat-rate for some time. See Dave Long's report on his meeting with Esat for more information.

adam /with a big wooden spoon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

So that gives us a grand total of 2/28 ISP's requesting flat-rate..
    I bet it'd do the world of good if more then 10 requested it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

is irelandoffline going to get into contact with the odtr about this? Would'nt the new comms bill be effective if ntl were looking for flat rate? btw, is the comms bill now active?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

Originally posted by Tizlox
    i didnt realise there was that many alot of them are a part of eircom or esat arnt they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

yeah I know,there are a load, offers dont vary much though, due to ShinRa. I mean Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

the rest of the OLOs are generally business-only, and only have a tiny foothold in ireland. if esat alone wanted LLU, that should be more than enough for the ODTR. Add NTL in and there's no excuse. They're two very big and important companies in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Tizlox
    No, 28 telecommunications operators, not 28 ISP's, entirely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Balfa
    the rest of the OLOs are generally business-only, and only have a tiny foothold in ireland. if esat alone wanted LLU, that should be more than enough for the ODTR. Add NTL in and there's no excuse. They're two very big and important companies in Ireland.
    I take it you mean a wholesale flat-rate deal not LLU. The ODTR will be very quick to tell you that LLU is working in Ireland with ESAT's ADSL offering in Limerick and plans for around 40 exchanges in Ireland. Point is valid, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    I take it you mean a wholesale flat-rate deal not LLU. The ODTR will be very quick to tell you that LLU is working in Ireland with ESAT's ADSL offering in Limerick and plans for around 40 exchanges in Ireland. Point is valid, though.

duhh. yeah, of couse i do :)
    silly me :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement