Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling as a sport? i dont think so

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Fair play to you for re-opening the thread bomb.
    Originally posted by bombidol
    bu what you have to remember as i said is that pro wrestlers train everday,
    Your contradicting yourself here surely. Wrestlers travel all over america with thier respective gigs, America is a big place and it takes time to get places. I would wager that, just as with the music industry, there are 'rest days' and 'travel days', allowing rest and travel.
    the only person i could ever 100% say is on roids is scott steiner, its obvious from the aggression levels he has.
    [/B]

This is where i play my Cynical Old Bastard card. How do you know what his agression levels are? Everything is pretty tightly scripted and any interviews he does would be done 'in character'.
    As an example, When that HHH bloke got injured (for real i assume) and was persuaded to let himself be filmed in the hospital getting scans and xrays (do they get extra for that type of thing?), he was clearly acting (it was all very melodramatic). Therefore when do you get to see what wrestlers are REALLY like.

Anyway,back to the reason im posting on the wrestling board (Because you asked me too).
    Why the strong association with sport? You yourself have said that its not a real sport as any normal sane person would say. Why then, is there this constant comparison to sports? The juvenile article that you linked to consisted entirely of analogies with sports. Why so wrestling fans never compare it to movies or TV? Its much closer to that industry. Is it a yearning to belong/gain legitimacy in the sporting world or is it a subconsicous refusal to accept reality. I dont mean that in a bad way, every human suffers from that - its what makes horror movies scary. We KNOW its not real, yet we still get a fright. Does this explain the sport tag that pro-wrestling gives itself?

Continue to discuss please :)

(BTW, fair play to you phenom for your answer. Very honest of you :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I know what wrestlers are really like because im in the business and i know many people that know the wrestlers, also through the usage of "Shoot" interviews you can determine a wrestlers personality, Shoot interviews are interviews held out of character and are not made by a wrestling promotion. Steiner has been in court on a couple of occasions for pulling people out of the crowd and smacking them around too.
    Theres a strong link to sports basically because its a very physical form of acting, they run, jump and sweat in an athletic way. one thing that has not been said here is that on some occasions, and more than a lot of people think a match's outcome will not be arranged untill the wrestlers are actually near the end of the match, The two will go out and put on a good show and Vince or Jim ross (or whoever is booking) will determine the winner by crowd reaction, they will then tell the ref (Via earpeice) to tell the wrestlers who is to win.

BOmb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

So would the term - Interactive Theatre - also apply to "Pro Wrestling"
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

First off, cheers Dustaz for appreciating my honest answer (unless it was a scripted response..........lol)

The other thing is about Scott Steiner being on 'roids. WHile it is true, that a lot of what we see and hear, as wrestling fans, about these wrestlers are complete works (fake). The same really cannot be said about Scott Steiner. First off I would clearly like to say that dammit the guy is on roids, purely by looking at him physically now and comparing that to even ten years ago, the change is unbelievable. As I said before while a lot of what we see and hear about wrestlers is scripted or even planted on the web by these companies, there are those who have worked in the business before, and work on "dirtsheets", insider info on the wrestling business as it is. And unfortunately it has been documented several times over that Mr Steiner has lost the rag completely, allegedly attacking several people backstage, unprovoked. While we would all like to believe the best of people at times and yes this information could be true, the backlash, both publicity and work-wise affected Steiner very badly (it was alleged he was kept off TV and legitimately fined for the chaos he caused.) But again whose to say whether it was true or not. This all happened off-camera, with only those working in the industry as witnesses, whose to say what really went down. Its like most news stories that sound far-fetched, you cant believe anything until you see it for yourself.

What you said about HHH is true, he was legitimately injured, his quad was ripped off the bone on his leg (very painful). Yes they did follow him around before, during and after the surgery, and yes he did have to rehabilitate. Was it melodramatic, probably, but hell it made good TV, and it also showed, in my mind, how dedicated these guys are to get better, recuperate and get back to doing what the love to do - wrestle.

They do travel all over America, that is true, and hell there are rest days and game days, however they are few and far between, as the amount of traveling eats up the time. They could arrive in a new city or state with only hours to spare before performing in the ring, or even appearing at a public signing. There are no questions that it is a hard life, being away from family for so long, and the money isnt all that great when you break into the business, only the really top level players get the big bucks - it makes you wonder are all wrestlers masochists?

I dont think you would truly see what a wrestler is really like, simply because they have to "be on" 24 hours a day. Sure they do have off-days, but I think thats more for them rather then letting any fans getting to know them. Most wrestlers would say that they are given a character to play and using themselves as a basis, extend the character to include bits of what they are really like to atleast make it more realistisc, but then you have to ask yourself, when a wrestler is performing - which part is real, and which part is fake!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Pro-wrestling is to sport what Stock Aitken and Waterman were to music.

ali-inoki.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

and?

we were talking about Ali getting injured in a Pro wrestling match before, i just found a picture from the match and thougt id post it up.

Bomb

i cant believe he actually did that.
    The thoughts of one of the greatest sportsmen of all time in the same room as one of those guys is just sad.

• Advertisement

yeah, Ali was a big wrestling fan

bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

ali just did the wrestling gig for some cash, mike tyson did it too.

Tyson is a huge stone cold steve austin fan

bomb

Advertisement