Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of the wireless internet is 802.11a???

• 13-06-2001 11:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

I'm no techie but I'm very keen to understand the form of the future wireless internet. I've been watching a Killarney based company called Wapprofit for a year with great interest. They produce software products for WAP and Imode. Now their CEO Peter Bellew has setup a new company called vbnets (http://www.vbnets.com) which is proclaiming that the future of the wireless net is NOT 3G but what he calls 5G. What do people think?

Here's my own (rather unedumecated take on things) -

I understand that 802.11b (also called Wi-Fi if I'm correct) is making serious inroads (at least in the USA). Microsoft and Compaq have made a deal with Starbucks to outfit all their coffee shops with 802.11b wireless networks. And more and more airports, hotels and even public open spaces are getting in on the act.

This has the potential to be a totally disruptive technology as far as I understand it. In fact some pundits are calling these networks "4G" and are even labelling the upcoming 802.11a upgrade "5G". These pundits may be taking a liberty with the terminology but I agree with their assessments. 802.11a will move wi-fi nets into the 5Ghz band (hence 5G eventhough the 'G' has previously stood for 'generation', go figure...). This will move these nets out of the cordless phone and microwave oven interference range and open up new possibilities.

I believe that 802.11a will have shorter range (on equal power) than 802.11b (higher frequency signals suffer more noise degradation I think). However, I've also heard that this range could still be potentially be in the 10s of Kilometres! Wi-fi fans base their support of the technology on the hypothesis that almost all wireless access is, and will be, done from stationary locations. In other words most road warriors will be satisfied to access the internet and their own corporate intranet from locations such as airports, hotels, resteraunts, coffee shops and so on. They argue that there is practically no need for access outside areas that cannot be serviced by these networks. Do members feel that they are badly mistaken? They also argure that it is feasible that even airplanes and trains, etc, could have satellite access to the net and a few wi-fi access points onboard. It seems to me that, other than in rural areas, wireless internet will equate to 802.lla and NOT 3G mobile!! I wonder what Nokia et al, would make of that :-)

Finally, consider the STG£billions that Vodaphone has spent on 3G licenses against the fact that these radio frequencies are FREE!!!! Is that potentially disruptive or what!?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

if im not very much mistaken that very man is making several seminars and talks at COMMS 2001 (in the rds at the moment) about his Wapprofit company and how (in his own words) "wap is not dead", yet on the other hand he's getting the **** out of WAP (as he rightly should) as quick as possible.
    Gotta love the cheesy marketing speel these people are prone to spout at these conventions smile.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I know, but in fairness, he as good as admits in part of the VBNets site that he is hedging his bets as should the telcos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Given the logjam with wired broadband it's not all that surprising to see wireless coming to the fore.

But with the mobile industry in heavy debt I'd say it'll be a while yet before it takes off.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Ah, but you're missing my point. Which is that the debt ridden mobile dinosaurs who are pursuing 3G blindy (such as Vodaphone) will be outfoxed by the nimble mammals of the wireless world such as http://www.wayport.com who will implement 802.11a infratructure in a fraction of the time at a fraction of the cost. I see a business opportunity here

Advertisement