Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabling Other Peopls GSM Mobiles?

• 12-06-2001 1:41pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've seen devices that block GSM mobile network connections (effectively giving your head peace from morons who dont know the correct time and place to turn the damned thing off) and I'd be interested in getting one.

Does anyone have a link to a device like that ?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I think they are illegal in ireland smile.gif

Gav

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What are they going to do? Call the cops? smile.gif

Seriously though, I am almost certain I was in a restaurant last week which had one.
    Noone could get a network connection regardless of phone or network.

Portable would be nice smile.gif

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

http://www.starportuk.com/
    but you need government approval apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Some crowd in Isreal do/did them Dev, I'll try and dig up the link for you tonight. I'm sure its hidden in the monster file of bookmarks I have biggrin.gif

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

A jammer? I doubt they are illegal if they are used on public premises which the owner has allowed (eg. In work, but not in the cinema).

here's a couple.

http://starportuk.com/

http://www.cguard.com/English/latests/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They should be installed on all buses and in all cinemas immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Seriously though they should be installed in cinemas and other places people shouldnt have their phones switched on smile.gif

It would spare people the embarrasment of looking like a complete tit when their phone goes off in the middle of a film.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

The Isreali military were the first to use and release that device to the public, they used it at meetings to stop mobiles being used as bugs.

Theres one small problem with using that device here and that is that if someone on your premises (say in your cinema) takes a heart attack and the person next to him wastes valuable time trying to get reception to call an ambulance, then wastes more time trying to find an usher or someone in charge to call an ambulance and in the meantime that person dies and it's later discovered that you used a phone jammer, you'll be in major $hite!

Equally if a doctor on call misses a call you'll be blamed. Or even a businessman looses out on a deal over not having received a call because of you, he can sue you for loss of earning. He will win the case against you if it's shown that you used an illegal device, I've spoken to my brother about this before, he's a solicitor. Before anyone says 'what about bad reception on your mobile network, can you sue your provider for loss of earnings over a missed call?' No, the difference there is that your provider would not have given you a service level agreement in their contract, otherwise yeh you could.

Theres no difference either between public or private premesis, if someone falls down the stairs in your house, they can sue you too.

That restaurant you were in Devore would have been using it on the sly because they'd know damn well their illegal. They should at least be made put up a sign to warn people that way they've made their disclaimer and if people still want to eat there then fine and it would go in their favour in the event of a court case.

Just bare all this in mind Devore before you use one, we were going to make these devices ourselves cause their easily and cheaply made and at the time we looked at them they were like 1,000 quid each. To jam a GSM phone you just have to transmit constantly with good power on the same frequency which is also illegal because you don't have a license to do so.

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 12-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Disclaimer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If it was a meeting room, you can get it lined to block phones, etc. We have some meeting rooms/building areas like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

afaik the whole point with getting a phone licence is to provide the service, all of which contain availability conditions. i can't see how u would be allowed to ever use the jammer legally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Verb:
    I think they are illegal in ireland smile.gif

Gav
    </font>

they are illegal in ireland last time I looked. they were spose to be installing them on trains but I dont think they ever got approval for it. Spose to be doing the same in england but I think its the same story there. The gsm operators would have the jammers balls for breakfast (legal wise, not actually eating their balls) smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

If these boxes are using half a watt across all the different GSM channels it must add up into making a fair bit of microwave power knocking about, and if you're sitting up against them in a train every day and they are sending out a signal non stop directed at you, it can't be very good for people. I know the phones in use now are kind of doing this already, but this would be worse because of its continuous transmission on all channels... If they must block out mobiles couldn't they use mesh on the windows and doors? I think that blocks microwaves but I don't know how effectively.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Disclaimer ?</font>

'We're sorry this restaurant uses a mobile phone blocking device, we accept no responsibility for any event which may occur due to the blocking of your reception, in the event of an emergency please leave the premises to make or receive a call'

It won't get them off the hook if anything does happen, but the least they could do is warn people which would go in their favour in the event of a court case against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Two points:
    TRansmitting a jamming signal is illegal for many reasons. I think they're specifically banned devices. Also you're transmitting a radio signal without liscence. And i'm FAIRLY sure you'll find esat and eircell suing you cos their subscribers'd be affected (apparently Meteor have no coverage anywhere, so thats not an issue wink.gif ).

Secondly, signals can be easily and legally blocked using a faraday cage setup, simply put, you set up an EMF field around a room (meeting room / cinema / whatever) and ALL signals are dissapated... Pain to install i'd imagine though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    They should be installed on all buses and in all cinemas immediately.</font>

Then how am I going to say " I'M ON THE BUS" ?

Nil Desperandum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Blade, I'd be more than happy to eat in a restaurant or drink in a pub that displays that disclaimer, in fact I'd love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

how could you ever be traced?
    a day out in dublin would produce many phunny events with a jammer, then jump on the chu chu and head home to kilkenny.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

Indeed Sickboy, so would I, but I know from experience that theres plenty of snotty people who like to moan about the most stupid of things in restaurants and they would get you into trouble if you were doing something illegal. I'd do it myself if it was legal and anyone who didn't like it could pi$$ off somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

We had such a device in here at work, that we bought in the UK, just to see how it works.

I am almost certain that this device is legal in Ireland.

When you switch it on and bring a mobile phone close to it, nothing happens. The signal strength on the phone is unaffected, and you still see the same number of bars on the display. The device itself is emmiting no detectable levels of radiation. (We had a spectrum analyser running a wide field probe beside it).

Now here's the clever bit. We're still not sure what happens next, but we think we know.

If you try to phone the mobile near the device, you hear the connect tone, and then immediately get a busy tone. From observation of both the activity light on the device, and from the spectrum analyser, we have concluded that the device detects the phone near it is handshaking to the GSM transmitter, and disrupts the carrier with a data burst, causing the phone to drop the carrier signal. Sometimes the phone almost rings, and gets a missed call, from an unknown number. The effective range of the device is about 40 feet in an open plan office. I have never seen this device for sale on-line, but I'm sure it can be found. I'll see if I cna get contact details of the manufacturer for you Tom.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.
    Mail: jaden@eircom.net

• Advertisement
Advertisement