Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL cable..?

Options
  • 08-05-2002 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Haven't been here for a while...

I'm interested in good/bad/indifferent accounts of NTLs cable offering: is it worth checking out? How's the connection? How about the h/w they supply? And support??? Is it worth spending my hard earned euros on?

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It's only available in very small areas (can't remember which) of Dublin. Apparently it's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

i suspect that the fact that it is brilliant is that there are very few users. in time the user base will grow and then and only then can we know how exactly the service performs.

But as pie said, it looks good. I know a few people with it, but the areas its available in are very limited. There is a net cafe in town that uses it too. The internet exchange in temple bar to be exact.
    i find it one of the best cafe's in town, price wise and performance, really shows us how good there service is *so far* :)

only time can tell really,

Regards,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by Gyck
    Haven't been here for a while...

I'm interested in good/bad/indifferent accounts of NTLs cable offering: is it worth checking out? How's the connection? How about the h/w they supply? And support??? Is it worth spending my hard earned euros on?

Ta.

the service is xlnt
    i've had it for about 6 months
    and i've had no problems at all

the equipment is idiot simple - just plug it in and off you go
    couldn't be easier

i've not had to contact support @ all so i'm not sure about that

basically its the cheapers broadband you are likely to see any time soon

hth
    MiCr0

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Nice one.

I'm due for a vist by their support people in June to get connected. The service seems to be expanding (I'm in Ballinteer) so check it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

me wants cable internet :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by Gyck
    Nice one.

I'm due for a vist by their support people in June to get connected. The service seems to be expanding (I'm in Ballinteer) so check it out...

Get the f3ck outa here!! my GF lives in dundrum, ill have to get her to get it :) woohooo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    And those of you who do want to have a bitch at me cos I have cable....There is a house on the estate for sale 195,000 pounds...

Better than the one I bought..yah get a conservatory too....

hmm, 195k, not bad for city house nowadays :) where bouts are you mercury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by flamegrill
    in temple bar to be exact.
    i find it one of the best cafe's in town, price wise and performance
    DNC have been using ntl cable for almost 2 years now afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I asked NTL and they said they couldn't tell me if cable was available in my area, they'd check into it and let me know. Which they didn't. Must ring again :)

Ando btw are you kidding with the sig image? It's 40kb...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33389&highlight=signature+images

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Rang NTL about Cable today .
    Told then i was getting Eircoms and it was a 12 month minimum contract.
    And said if NTL would be in my area within th enext 12 months i would wait(i really would).
    She said my area wouldnt`.
    I live in D22 the real one not the Kingswood tallaght part.
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

I had been kicked off no limits a few months before I moved house. A week before I moved in I ordered the cable service from NTL. They's set it up no bother, except I had to autoregister myself later that week (the service was down in the UK). This was there only ever use I had to make of the support line!

I've had the cable over six months now and my only fear is that I'll lose it sometime. I can't stand the thought of going back to 56k.

At first it took a bit of getting used to, always on. I became sort of connected to the PC, but after a while I became less of a sad b**tard and only used it when I had a reason to. The up side is that I've watched most of the current series of West Wing (current to US TV, about a year ahead of here). DOwnloads in no time at all :)

B

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

So, what's good firewall wize when you're always on? I've got ZA running for the past year with my 56k creative labs, and combined with the fact that I'm pretty clued in on what kind of s**t to avoid in order to not get my machine attacked (I hope) I'm happy with the level of security I've got.

But what about when you're online 24/7? OK, I can unplug everything when I don't want to be online (perish the thought) but what else is out there, beyond building a hardware firewall (perhaps that's not a bad idea, anyone got a FAQ on how to do that???)...

I've read about Blackice (doesn't sound soooo good)?

Eh?

Advertisement