Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Speakers??

• 12-06-2001 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi there,

Does anyone know of a quality set of speakers
    that they can personally recommend (for connecting to the soundcard). I plan to do
    some muzak making and don't want to use my
    amp/hi-fi system.

Cheers,
    /Rory

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've got Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 5.1 speakers plugged into a Soundblaster Live 5.1 and they're fantastic. They're five channel - two front, two back, one centre + the subwoofer - although I haven't had a chance to try all five channels with anything other than the "Soundblaster Experience" yet. But even that is a howl to play with. Sound quality is excellent, the bass rocks, and I haven't taken it past about a third of the way up yet (waiting for the neighbours to go on holiday!) Not professional, but well worth the wedge, and it's got so many ins and outs, I reckon you could probably plug your cat into it. If you're into that sort of thing...

adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 12-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nice.
    i have the 4.1 surround speakers and theyre pretty cool. good sound, just isnt dolby like the 5.1, but worth it of you only want to shell out about 80 quid. i think that includes sound card as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Altec Lansing make good speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

3500 is pretty funky alright (got it's own amp and everything). But it's nearly £300 frown.gif

The 2200 has 5.1 and its about 200 quid cheaper. Think I'll stick with my BA Media Theater set for a while though smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i've got some boston acoustic speakers and they are v.nice
    xlnt sound and bass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

As dahamsta said, the Cambridge Soundworks by creative are great, but it depends on your sound card as well, if you want to get the full experience. The Creative Soundcard/speaker system is hard to beat for normal usage (games etc) there are alot of professional kits about, but these are crazy prices. Bang for buck, stick with Creative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I have the old creative 2.1 setup, I think its the CWS 350. Absolutely class sound, the subwoofer is excellent, not a hint of distortion. I have heard boston acoustics and altec lansing new speakers also, and they have a nice sound. The videologic digitheatre is supposed to be better again, I haven't heard it though. If you really want to splash out, theres a good review of klipch promedia speakers (rather high end) on www.anandtech.com

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I have the Cambridge FPS1500, with 4 satellites and a sub. The sound is excellent although you cant crank them up as the full 5.1 digital set. A friend has that and bejaysus, I can hear him 4 houses away.

On DVDs, I cant tell the difference between the two and the price differential is fairly large.

Rob.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Get the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 speakers. $299 from America.

Best that money can buy.

http://www.klipsch.com

--Chris--
    http://uie.8m.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

One word of warning about the DTT3500 - if you're getting a Soundblaster 5.1 to go with it, just install the bare minimum of software if you can; the drivers and AudioHQ. The rest of the stuff is junk, and it completely takes over your rig. Pain in the **** .

Also, I agree with Xterminator, Altec Lansing make good speakers too, although they seem to be primarly OEM. I have some ACS495's that came bundled with a Dell and they were great. And I have a buddy in Gateway too, and he reckons the Boston Acoutics they bundle are the berries.

Next year I'm getting me some BOSE. smile.gif

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I've a set of boston Acoustics (BA7500). Fantastic speakers, that is until a part went. Main volume control board with all the dials on it.. What a pain! It now seems I cant get a replacement part from anywhere except BA HQ in america. After emailing them countless times I still havent been able to order the part - they are totally hopeless over there.

Might just bite the bullet and get myself a set of those Cambridge soundworks speakers (the ones for nearly 300 quid). Better find a job first tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alty

I have the Creative Live! 1024 w/Digital Out & a set of Creative DTT 3500 5.1 Digitals. (Robbo claims to hear me from three houses away, which wouldn't surprise me in the least) The soundcard only cost me 40quid sterling Inc. VAT, and you can pick up a set of DTT 3500 Digitals for £130 Sterling now. The speakers have a Dolby Digital Decoder in the amp so you can be guaranteed serious sound. If i crank the volume up more than half way, I get complaints from the neighbours, hence they are sh|t powerful. If you are investing in speakers, that is my recommendation. Warning; These speakers may be sexually attractive.

** All your bass are belong to us **
    *mmmmmm* Sexual speakers.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alty:
    and you can pick up a set of DTT 3500 Digitals for £130 Sterling now. </font>

130 squids? where in de nama jaysus are they sold at that price? theyre like 300 over here and I want them... I neeeeeeeeed them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alty

£168 ex. VAT on @ www.scan.co.uk

nice one alty, thanks for the info! I'll just sit in wait now till I get my job and the exchange rate gets a little better...

SB Live Platinum is nice an cheap too.. A nice upgrade could be on the cards. Ahh I finally get to reap the benefits of having a vat number smile.gif

[This message has been edited by rymus (edited 15-06-2001).]

Advertisement