Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gaelcon Experience

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

As a fellow Northsider, I hear ya man! Trying to get from Malahide to RHK for 7 and 7.30am was a bit of a nightmare...especially seeing as the journey from town to home meant I didn't get home until 4am

Ah well, i live in town now, so I might get more than 7 hrs sleep this Gaelcon...though I'm not counting on it :-)

Colm

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ugh... I have memories of the RHK at 5:30 am after being out with the guests etc the night before. Gaelcon is an endurance trial for the staff, believe me. Any difficulties you have with harsh light and early rises are nothing to theirs :)

As one (ex)Con director to another, good luck Colm! You'll need it!
    I'll be along with Regi to play Bloodbowl.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by hedgetrimmer

By DART - Get off at Clontarf Road Dart Station and walk straight down the Coast Road past the Yacht pub. Take the second turn left after the Yacht on to Castle Avenue. The Castle is at the top of the road.

Youre better off (read, shorter walk) getting the DART to killester DART station. When you walk out of the station take a right to a small T junction. Go Right again at this and walk to the Killester Village, cross the road at the padestrian lights, walk straight down the road in front of you. Pass 3 speed bumps and take a left at the T junction. Walk to the end of the road and take a right here. You will now be on Castle avenue, beside the Rugby club. Walk straight down to the roundabout, and wahey youre there.

The walk from Clontarf Dart station is about 20 mins the walk from Killester is about 10, although the directions are a little more confusing.

Just to make y'all jealous, walk to the castle from my house, Walk out the driveway, turn left, walk for 2 mins to the roundabout.. WAHEY!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ha see proof that staff dont sleep :)

and hence are just that lil bit slower as the weekend cont.
    not that anyone would take advantage of that gods no never !!!

/evil grin
    what me plotting never ;)

The walk from killester is definatly shorter but if you dont know where you are going you can get lost ....... fast.
    But if you are a gamer you can usually spot another at about 20 paces so be brave and ask who ever you get of the dart with you'll should get directions.

Sure if you get lost and you have a mobile sure you can always ring Clontaf Castle and the staff will give direction or you can ask them to page the Con Direction

Ah yes Mr. Colm Lundberg

I'm sure they will find him .

Thanks for the good luck wishes DeVore!

And cheers for the advice and directions Pimp and Thead...of course... with you living so near, and advertising the fact, you are leaving yourself open for people to swarm your house and crash... Not that *I'd* ever suggest that, you understand :-)

Colm

18 days to go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

Must start checking family members for a good spare Kidney...
    Bloodbowl shall be played, thanks for the offer on space for us to play.
    Do the bar staff still not not how to make long Island Icetea? - Last year was double messures and undercharged-sweet.

Time to get painting again.
    Cheers
    DotC

Just don't tell the bar about the undercharging! :-)

Bloodbowl. better be first ed...first ed rocks....second ed... mm....issues....

You have issues with revised blood bowl just becoase they did in the orc cheerleaders :)

they had pompoms and pigtails i know scarey

Bring back the mutant teams and the d1,000 tables is what I say! Note really grumblings, just a gamer nearing old fart age remebering the times when GW released a hobby magazine, and not a catalouge, and used to release full games and rules suppliments free of charge.

On that note... some interesting things in the charirt auction from years and years and years and years ago...

Colm

I heard that the Dart wont be running to clontarf on the bank hol weekend something to to do with repairs !!!

This is so not fair you cant drink coffee on the bus it takes too many corners.

• Advertisement

You could always get one of those sealed coffee cup things that look like adult versions of kiddy cups. They don't spill at all at all

Colm

what and taint my coffe with the taste of cheap plastic !!!
    ah no most take away coffes are bad enough with out that
    thank the gods you can at least order a pot of decent coffee at
    Clontarf Castle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

sounds like fun.

Any idea what the scenario they are going to run is about?

isn't Onnwal divided between the UK and Ireland? which would mean that the irish input into the history would be quite small. Still there, but just not as good as if we had our own region :(

D20 and the planescape scenario:
    Individual or team based?
    Individual used to be good until the writers switched to a "last man standing" format. then it just got sh*tty <two guys do all the work then get killed by the four wasters who did nothing and they all get into the next round... sorry, personal experience>

ps. light green on white... that website is a bit hard on the eyes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 psysquid

Good lord, someon remembers the team and individual events. I has been quite a while.

There hasn't been a definite one way or the other in a few years now. Generally, there is only a single winner, but that doesn't mean that you have to kill all around you. That format fell out of use a goodly while ago. Since then, some of the D&D games have featured parties which will work together, and some which really can't be trusted, but the "prize" as such is always based on how well you play your own character.

yes last year the prize went to the player that rounded up the rest of the motely group of chars and actuclly kept them all moving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Lir

And rest...

It's all over. It was wonderful, much respect to Colm and all his staff and committee.

Of course, in my day... :)

It was great, I had an extremely relaxing and enjoyable time, I'm only sorry I didn't get to meet more people, but that's always the way.

And next up, Vaticon. 22nd - 24th November in UCD. The gaming never stops...

Lir

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Great fun, spent all weekend playing German board games mostly! Or a marathon game of Zombie.... bbbbraaaiiiinnnssss...

Saw Thaed from a distance meant to say hello but I had picked up a chainsaw right at that time :)

The con is a WHOLE lot better when you arent involved in running it :)

DeV.

"Send more ccccoooopppps..."

Just about recovered from the weekend ,
    it was even better then last year esp as i had dragged a few newbies along with me. " see there are more gamers then you think " yes they are now all utterly corrupted .

Ah the chainsaw weapon of choice against Zombies :)
    " send more paramedics ........"

Yes Dev I did see you accross the crowded Hall but
    I was busy and you didnt need my corrupting influence as much as others did . Reckoned that as you didnt enter with fanfare and trumpets this time that you wanted to be left alone .
    You may not be so lucky next time ;)

AS for Living Greyhawk we just need to out play some of the english teams and get enough people writting stuff that we will soon own ahem influence all of Onnwal and most of Greyhawk.

Sure Ireland is only a small country with a small population .......

Maybe it took a civil servant to tame the monster that can be Gaelcon :) Well done to Clom and all this Staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

This thread has come to the end of it's life. :) I'm unstickeying it.

If someone wants to write an overall review please do.

Also whoever is organizing vaticon might want to do up a post and I'll sticky that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Lir

It ain't tamed, it's merely resting...

Now all we need to do is sort out a con director for next year :)

Watch this space, or something like that...

• Advertisement
Advertisement