Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do athlons hang for some reason?

• 13-06-2001 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭

help! my spec is:

amd athlon 800 (100*8 default)
    asus a7v
    128mb pc 100
    realtek network card
    dimaond viper 4770 agp (detonator tnt2 drivers)
    no sound card (hangs with or without it)
    windows 98se or millenium (both hang)

my problem is that i can play cs for about 10 minutes or less then she hangs and only a power off will work. reloaded os and played with all cards bar video and netowkr card removed and she still hangs...

is there a patch im missing or something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Sounds more like your Video Card drivers to me, what version are you running?

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

what psu do you have,
    atlons often hang for serveral reasons. i presume its not overclocked.
    sometimes its not enough power, id say for a 800mhz you would need a 250psu.
    allso overheating can cause it, keep in mind that when playing a game like CS you temp can jump from 25c to 45c under a heavy load.

but compatiblity is most likely the problem, get the latest drivers for all devices.

i know aguy he spent ages trying to find out my his 1gig atlon locked up every time he went on the net, gt a new psu and everything,

turns out it was the mouse drivers. you can never know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

what is the default temp for athlon supposed to be? she seems to 4un around 45c steady.

damn, have removed and used 2 different make video cards, 3 different make network cards, changed memory and hard drives and still same problem. ie: she will hang with net_graph on and console half way down playing CS on a lan game or on the internet.

grgggggrgrgrgrrgrggr

im gonna try 2000 tonite but im lost as to what it may be,....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

Did you install the latest VIA 4in1 drivers? If they dont install correctly (system hangs on install) you might have to install them in safemode.

I've got a duron 800@1000 (133x7.5) and it goes to about 50C after playing a heavy session of UT/CS/Q3 etc, never hangs. So I'd say 45C is more than ok tempature after playing a long gaming session, If its 45C while idle then your in trouble get a bigger heatsink and use thermal paste on it.

You should really have a 300watt psu in all athlons for stability. Try changing around some of the bios settings also, particually the memory settings can be very sensitive.

well 50c is your real max(as appose to the 70c some retailers say) over 50c your starting to cut back on the cpus like span.

i hope that that 50c is not idle as, with a heavey load it will shout up, id dear say the 45c is you problem. try taking the cover off your rig, sit it up beside you, tha should cool it down abite and try palying cs while keepign an eye on the temp, if it locks when the temp spikes you know its because your running it to hot, and i would suggest some case fans and/or a better cpu fan

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 13-06-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

sounds like an overheating problem. The temp at idle, that is with no process running should be around 23-27 degrees, fully loaded running games etc you should be up around 40-45. Ihave an AMD 1.2ghz overclocked to 1.4. and fully loaded its at 40 degrees. You need a good size heatsink and some fans. I have a fan at the front of the case which suck in air and then the PSU fan blows it out the back of the case. Also a fan on the heatsink which sucks air off and blow out through te back.
    Something to check is wether the fan is pulling air off the processor there should be an arrow on the heatsink fan showing the direction of airflow.

Its definitely an overheating problem.

hes only running an 800mhz athlon, 250 psu should be more then enough,

thats two of us agreed then, its overheating,

before we can do any more for you, what cooling do you have, case fans and cpu fan,
    how many and make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There's a bug with W2K that causes Athlons to crash, Don't have the page with the details but here is the regedit info...

Largepageminimum.reg
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "LargePageMinimum"=dword:ffffffff

thanks for all the replies lads...going out of my brain with cards changing etc...

it idles at 45c (like thats what hardware monitor says in bios when its booted cold)

it has a good heatsink and fan, it has another fan above it but its blowing inward...it ahs no fan from the front...

ill install the fans correctly tonite and where would i get some more thermal paste...the old stuff maybe a little worn off from all the jigging about.

thanks again lads.

• Advertisement

a good paste is some stuff called "Arctic Silver" 45 degrees idle is way to high. Just remember you want to get the heat out and off the cpu you should look at putting a fan at the front to force airflow through. let us know how you get on.

Arctic silver is available from www.theoverclockingstore.com £4.95 when last checked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Up the core voltage to about 1.8v

Dont do this until someone backs me up on it tho, I could be wrong,

but ive heard if you do that it makes it more stable

dont do it unless someone agrees that im right on this smile.gif

RentZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Renton:
    Up the core voltage to about 1.8v

Dont do this until someone backs me up on it tho, I could be wrong,

but ive heard if you do that it makes it more stable

dont do it unless someone agrees that im right on this smile.gif

RentZ
    </font>

You need to sort out your cooling first though. You'll only cause more heat by doing this. Should be OK afaik once you sort out the cooling issue.

yea dont do it untill you have better cooling, you do that to make it more stable when overclocking, not when its just sitting there at default speed

cheers lads, its an 800 athlon and it isnt overclocked (yet)

the video card is out of a dell, its agp and it should accept the latest detonator drivers, but ill change it for the craic and see does it make a difference.

alos tried playing cs by settign up a lan game on the machine and it still hung (re: not connected to internet)

thanx for all the help lads...in the end it wasn't cooling just CS was installed a bit dodgily.

just for the record, as i got very worried about the temperature...here is a link to the actual amd recommeded temps...note that slot versus flip chip temp are VERY different. http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/techdocs/pdf/23794.pdf

if ye dont want to download the pdf file (kinda big) the jist of it says:

FLIP CHIP ATHLON
    maximum die temperature = 90C (under 1100mhz)
    maximum die temperature = 95C (over 1100mhz)

SLOT A ATHLON
    maximum plate temp = 70C
    inside the box local ambinet temp = 45C

I never stated above that I had a FCPGA one so thanks again for all your help lads...but she runs at 60c under full load so i recon i can over clock here and im ok. wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yankinlk:
    just for the record, as i got very worried about the temperature...here is a link to the actual amd recommeded temps...note that slot versus flip chip temp are VERY different. </font>
    Just remember those socket temps are internal... you won't get the same temp reading from an on board thermistor.

yankinlk those temps are what the cpu will definity fail at,
    anything over 50c your doing lasting damage

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    yankinlk those temps are what the cpu will definity fail at,
    anything over 50c your doing lasting damage
    </font>

joe22/gladiator please do not post info you just make up. i went to a lot of trouble to include a link to an amd site proving that my temp (60 full load) is ok for a fcpga or flip chip...i welcome anyone to offer me a different point of view, however i will be looking for actual experience, evidence, a name i can trust...gerry any thoughts?

im not saying i know, im saying i checked and thats the best info i can find. as i purchased cpu and fan from same place at same time, and have experience cooling pcs, and havent done anything CrAzY with this setup im going to assume its running ok.

yankinlk believe what every you want to believe, but dont call me a liar, im far from making this up, any body with abite tech background will tell you and you should keep you cpu below 50c at all times,
    now it you think its ok to run it at 70c - 90c then go ahead, im not stoping you.
    but if you do you will need a new one within a year.

PS im not the only one telling you in this topic that your ideal max temp should be around 45c

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yankinlk:
    thanx for all the help lads...in the end it wasn't cooling just CS was installed a bit dodgily.

just for the record, as i got very worried about the temperature...here is a link to the actual amd recommeded temps...note that slot versus flip chip temp are VERY different. http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/techdocs/pdf/23794.pdf

if ye dont want to download the pdf file (kinda big) the jist of it says:

FLIP CHIP ATHLON
    maximum die temperature = 90C (under 1100mhz)
    maximum die temperature = 95C (over 1100mhz)

SLOT A ATHLON
    maximum plate temp = 70C
    inside the box local ambinet temp = 45C

I never stated above that I had a FCPGA one so thanks again for all your help lads...but she runs at 60c under full load so i recon i can over clock here and im ok. wink.gif
    </font>

ye, 60c is "OK" for socket. No harm in sorting out your fan on the PSU, get it sucking the air off the chip and out the back. I did this a while ago and got mine down to 45 under full load. The artic silver paste is great stuff, you only need a tiny amount and spread between the heatsink and the processor plate. basically it fills in the tiny pits on top of the processor and makes a better contact for the heatsink. Arctic silver uses actual silver paste which conducts heat very efficiently.

Theres some good info to be had from... http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Overclocking&number=1&DaysPrune=45&LastLogin=

Just remember that if your overclocking its critical to disperse the heat from the processor.

PS. Looks like Joe22/Glad is back, very quick to go on the offensive. nixweiss.gif

well the guy called me a liar,
    even you dont have 60c temp under load.
    45c is ideal max and no one here has yet to say anything proving that wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

was away for a few days there, anyway I think 60c is slightly hot, perhaps not TOO hot. The reason for this is that 60c is what your thermal diode tells you, which is touching off the cartridge of the cpu, or possibly not even touching it at all. So the actual cpu die temp will be 10-15c higher, and the actual "plate temp" is probably a little bit higher than what is being reported also. 60c will also limit you from doing any worthwhile overclocking, and even if it did clock up a bit, it would definitely be running far too hot.
    AMD specs these cpu's to run foor a few years (can't remember how many) at maximumm temperature so you should be ok. However a cool cpu will last longer, and is likely to be much more stable. So it is worth keeping it under 50c. Have to run.

thx gerry

[This message has been edited by yankinlk (edited 15-06-2001).]

thanks gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Lol

Schools out biggrin.gif

Stone biggrin.gif

Hee hee teacher sorts it out.
    Looks like you only wanted Gerry to help confused.gif