Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing IRQ etc in ME

Options
  • 08-05-2002 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I know someone who wants to know if this is possible.. never tried in ME, i know its not something you can do in win2k anyway.. Anyone know if there is a way of doing it? Registry or something?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In most cases the different PCI slots have particular memory addresses assigned to them, and certain hardware may be hard-wired to request certain resources. In the case of IRQ, sharing is fine, but you will need a unique I/O address.
    In the case of ME, really a first cousin of Windows 98, in a lot of cases you can simply pop into Device Manager (By right clicking on "My Computer" and choosing Properties), Go to the particular category you are interested in, double click on the particular piece of hardware and go to the 3rd screen (resources). There is a tab in the middle of the Window "Change settings". You can choose one of the settings in the above portion of the window- be it an I/O address, and IRQ or even a DMA channel, and "Change" it to a different setting.
    The bottom portion of the Window will even helpfully point out any other devices on the particular resource settings that you are choosing. Its fine to share IRQs or DMAs (in most but not all cases) however you have to have unique input/output addresses. Note: Certain hardware likes particular IRQs- e.g. SCSI cards like IRQ 11, Modems like IRQ 5, Graphics cards like 9 or 11, etc. etc. etc.
    If you're unsure of what you're doing, rather than totally mucking around, call a techie to give you a hand- it'll take him/her 20 minutes tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

smccarrick i think you missunderstood the request! It cant be done that way! Same in win2k! You cant change an IO or IRQ address like that as you can in 98! At least not for the piece of hardware in question anyway. No option for it! ITs a Xircom combo card (pcmcia) The post states this and the request is one for an alternative! as for call a techie? i would be engaged as i would be calling myself!

Have just checked with a sound card under ME on a Compaq DeskPro- there is a tab "Set Configuration Manually" in Dev Man- and then procedure was as normal with 9X. It does work.

I'd guess there may be the possibility to shift resources at a BIOS level for the PCMCIA / IDE controllers- as obviously, as you have discovered, it cannot be done at Dev Man level. That is of course presuming its not hardwired onto specific resources, aka the jumpered cards of old that we all hated.

One thing which I'm guessing you've prob already tried is a second hardware profile?

Sorry I can't give any other suggestions on it- and that the original info was a little off-topic, I didn't have enough to go on.

Shane

Yeah all ov the above tried and failed.. btw im not the one working on this.. someone else in work is who lost their baords password lol...

Anyway possible hotfix from microsoft for this card...

Yeah i checked ME and you can change the irq's etc like in 98.. though its not as reliable... you cant do it in win2k anyway to my knowledge.. however in ME with this crappy card you cant...

anyway fix from MS follows.. note password changes every 7 days apparently! note this did NOt fix it so he is going to try a reload of OS and then fix before installing drivers for card..

English (United States)
    Platform: i386
    Location: (ftp://hotfix.microsoft.com/windows/Windows_Millenium_Edition/nosp/Q268452/Q268452_ENU_i386_MID16154_zip.exe)
    Password: +_4pm)@[Xb
    Password Changes On: 5/9/2002 7:50:51 AM
    Next Password: *4TBKo+3U5
    NOTE: Be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when navigating to this hot fix location!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Saruman are you going soft , tell me its not you who is using ME ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I've had to use ME after a disasterous spell on 2K with ****ty ACPI putting all me pci devices on the one IRQ number...

in ME you can change the values in safe mode but be warned that they do save themselves and can crash your computer on windows startup if you set the devices to an incompatible number

they best way is to disable plug and play and then install the device manually

No evilgeorge not me using ME.. shudder... and you know full well what the question is about since you sit 2 metres away from me!!

nice one SearrarD ill make sure he tried in safe mode.. lol maybe the simple solution like that was overlooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Admit it, you've been turned :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

well did you change those numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by Saruman
    smccarrick i think you missunderstood the request! It cant be done that way! Same in win2k! You cant change an IO or IRQ address like that as you can in 98! At least not for the piece of hardware in question anyway. No option for it! ITs a Xircom combo card (pcmcia)

I installed the same card recently using the latest drivers from xircom.com (intel). After selecting have disk from the update drivers and pointing it at the driver installation I got a small window that allowed me to change all sorts of info from IO to IRQ to duplex modes etc.. I had to change the IRQ away from 3 as it interferred with the sound card. This was with win98 and nt but the drivers for nt/98/me are all the same. Cant remember if it allowed you to change it after it was installed (i.e. from device manager) but just re-install the drivers and the window should pop up.

• Advertisement

Unfortunatly lynchie this is ME he is using and thats a piece of crap... only one you dont seem to be able to change the settings on with this card!

I know its a long shot, but it is possible that you may be able to manipulate default resources assigned to the PCMCIA/IDE bus at a BIOS level. Depends on the BIOS revision. Just a suggestion.

Cheers.

unfortunatly not.. feck all options in th bios.. we are talking a cheapy cheap laptop here.. a Gateway solo 1150... it looks like one of them kids ones!

Advertisement