Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD cleaning querry

• 15-06-2001 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

What is best thing to do to clean the HD bar actually formatting the thing ?
    After having done the defrag, maps in counter-strike loaded faster, so what else can be done ? ScanDisk ? DiskCleanup ?
    And how often should I be defragging ?
    Cheers.

Nil Desperandum

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Well as for the defrag..
    when you open the defrag proggy, it does a quick scan then tells you how much of your HD is defragged, if it's about 70%+ not defragged, you should go and defrag it then..
    usually every couple of week's should do, unless you're always installing and uninstalling program's etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Its pointless defragging more than once a month on your home system.

Also if anyone can point me to proper scandisk and defrag utilities I'd be most happy, as I'm ****ed off with the standard windows ones restarting if i move the mouse or something similiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Norton speeddisk is pretty good. Download the trial version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Na the best way is to first remove said HD from the case unscrew the backing plate now you may have to drill pot rivets on some drives.Then get a very fine sandpaper from your local hardware shop and in small circular motion rub very Gently on the inner disk.This is will rid you of all unwanted data in no time.

Disclaimer the undersigned will not be held responsible for any loony silly enough to do this.

Stone biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Norton System Works are the best bog-standard set of Utilities around in my opinion.

And the bundled Windows Registry Editor 0wns MS regedit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

perosnally, if its gone that bad, then i format and reinstall the OS.i dont bother with defrag as i dont find the time taken justifies the performance gain but a clean install will guarentee a return in speed.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Windows 2000 defragments each of my hard drives in under an hour smile.gif

Advertisement