Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodge an official complaint on ADSL prices

Options
  • 08-05-2002 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

www.eircom.ie
    I was surfing around here when I found a complaint form, and registered my veiw on ADSL prices, and the lack of a flat-rate internet, I received this reply today...

Dear Mr

Thank you for your email dated 02/05/2002 in relation to pricing of ADSL.

Please forward me on more information and I will log an official complaint
    on your behalf. The information I need is telephone number, address etc.

Kind regards

Customer Care Mktg.
    Phone: 1800-200481
    Fax: 1800-200480
    Email:

Although I received no response on the flat-rate issue, I have replied with my home phone info and address ect
    I urge you to do the same, visit eircom.ie and surf around for "contact us", and look for "complaints" under that.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I also think that parts of the new "I-Stream" radio ads are patently misleading especially re: it being a flat monthly fee which does *NOT* apply for all products.

Perhaps The Advertising Standards Authority may need to get a phonecall/e-mail as well.

Thanks for pointing that out Tizlox, because overall Market forces will ultimately determine the prices and since eircom are *asking* we might as well them what we think:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Thanks for pointing that out Tizlox, because overall Market forces will ultimately determine the prices and since eircom are *asking* we might as well them what we think

I can't emphasise the above point enough. Complain, complain complain, let them know you think it is too high. I know they are looking at a releasing a cheaper consumer product in August (I can only imagine the cap :D ) but this is depending on the noise they hear, so make it!!!

Spread the word, tell you neighbours, your friends, your parents, their friends, your teachers, your vets, your doctors, (perhaps the odd TD too), youth group leaders, community workers, colleagues............ tell everyone that its just not acceptable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by Dangger
    I can't emphasise the above point enough.

How about this Dave...
    Complain, complain complain
    ^^C'mon everybody, You know you want to;)^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Guys, not sure if we already have a sticky up on this, but I think t'would be VERY handy for complaints purposes if we had a thread with exact pricing/criteria/small-print.

That way, anyone who wants to email the various bodies and complain has access to accurate information and numbers to complain about, rather than just a "I hate Eircom and their prices are wayYYY too high" thingy??

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Why dont we put together an informal artical outlining all the disadvatages of living in ireland and having a monopolistic telecoms company(not unlike micro$oft regeme)
    advertise all fact clearly and to the point! and have it printed up in all our local rags at the same time to get people talking about it and us! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I'd suggest the committee pull together some text in the form of an official complaint. Then we can all cut/paste it and complain away to our hearts content, knowing that all the relevant points are being mentioned in the text.

Obviously a list of links and locations to complain 'to' would need to accompany the post. Start a complaints campaign, and similar to the 'close sellafield' approach.. flood Eircon, consumer affairs, standards authority etc. with the same complaint. Someone will have to take notice eventually.

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

what annoys me is the fact that I spent most of the email complaining about the lack of flat-rate internet access, and then shortly said "even if ADSL came to waterford within 2 years, I wouldnt be able to afford it at those prices"...bah humbug

I received this reply only moments ago;
    Dear Mr

I have logged your comments as an official complaint and a copy has been
    forwarded to the Management of our ADSL department who will deal with the
    matter further.

Kind regards

I responded with this;
    Thanks a lot, but currently Im more concerned with the lack of flat-rate access. Although ADSL at a lower price would be great, it'd be 1-3years before people all over the country got their hands on it, and most people including myself would prefer the lower priced, flat-rate 56K access, although its speeds are dire.

Note that we rated the worst country in europe for internet access by the OECD, and day after day we fall behind even more so.

Flat-rate is a product which only takes weeks to sort out, wheras ADSL takes considerably longer, also, Flat-rate provides as a stepping stone for ADSL, and will reduce overall frustration, along with many other things, not to mention unemployment.

I ask you to please register this complaint,along with all others demanding for a flat-rate establishment in Ireland, as its not a matter of wanting it any more, its a matter of needing it.

I urge all of you to do the same... complain, complain, complain, until we're treated like the rest of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I got a reply from their marketing bods. I'm just including how they addressed my compaint re the 3GB cap:
    Customers who choose the eircom i-stream solo or multi products are given a
    specified monthly download allowance. These limits were set based on our
    experience of customer usage over the period of trials and research with
    triallists. During trials, customers used the service free of charge and
    were able to download as much material as desired. Each of the eircom
    i-stream products was trialled. Our research showed us that average usage
    was well within the limits we have now set on the solo and multi product.
    eircom i-stream enhanced has no download limit.

I'll let you comment on that as you see fit.

The letter finishes off with an intersting paragraph:
    eircom is investigating the development of cheaper product(s) specifically
    targeted at the consumer market. These investigations will include the
    option to 'self install', a feature of many of the lower cost European
    offerings. Development of these products is at a very early stage and no
    information regarding product specifications and launch date is available at
    the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    I got a reply from their marketing bods. I'm just including how they addressed my compaint re the 3GB cap:
    Next question: Will this cap be increased in line with inflation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ihatemushrooms

There is no point in venting your frustrations on the deaf ears of Eircom, the goverment and the ODTR are to blame for this, we in Ireland are one of the few remaining regulated telecom markets in Europe!!! Eircom won`t change their pricing because of us, they will obviously make less money. Etain Doyle and the ODTR have put no serious pressure on Eircom for LLU or Friaco. This is a complete joke and while the Goverment and Etain are flappin around Eircom are watchin all our pennies per minute ching chinging in the till.
    They`ve no plans for new products, its happy days all the way for O`Reilly and the boys while we are spending money.
    Other countries have had deregulated markets since the late 80`s our goverment just doesn`t give a toss, we are miles behind.

Over

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Its probably true. Most people on this forum overshot the caps, however the trials were open to a wider audience, who were probably not downloading as much as thier drives could hold before the trial ended :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

eircom is investigating the development of cheaper product(s) specifically targeted at the consumer market. These investigations will include the option to 'self install', a feature of many of the lower cost European offerings. Development of these products is at a very early stage and no information regarding product specifications and launch date is available at the moment.
    Only eircom could make a simpler product difficult to develop. For those of you in Eircom product development, here's a three step plan:

1) Get the plans for the current service offerings.
    2) Cut out the pages about DSL modems.
    3) Add in the pages you give engineers about installing DSL modems.

Myself and Fergus would be happy to replace the entire department. Might up the average IQ level in Eircom by a few points.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Oddly enough I can confirm that I have heard from Eircom officially that they are looking into a more consumer orientated ADSL offering, potentially for August. This is the reason I feel the complaints should be made, let them know how unreasonable the current pricing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

i click on this link and i get some crap abotu my session timed out :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Customers who choose the eircom i-stream solo or multi products are given a specified monthly download allowance. These limits were set based on our
    experience of customer usage over the period of trials and research with
    triallists. During trials, customers used the service free of charge and
    were able to download as much material as desired. Each of the eircom
    i-stream products was trialled. Our research showed us that average usage
    was well within the limits we have now set on the solo and multi product.
    eircom i-stream enhanced has no download limit.

Ummm ... they had those cap figures at the START of the trials did they not. So they were just arbitrary figures anyway, where they not?

"Research" my f*cking arse!!! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dahamsta

Myself and Fergus would be happy to replace the entire department. Might up the average IQ level in Eircom by a few points.

/me giggles
    That'd probably work too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 beomont

I dont know why the link did that but here is the main contact page for Eircom which you will find one for complaints on it http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?
    IT will not let me edit my early post up the top so maybe the Mod's could delete it and replace it with this one or even better if some one knows of a direct email complaints address to the ADSL department.............
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 beomont

Sorry Lads but it has done it again,can a Mod please delete my 2 previous posts and stick up a link to Eircoms complaint page/Adsl if there is one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

beomont, I can't find the link.

Obviously your original link (thanks for that) has expired.

Can you post (or PM me) instructions on how you got to it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

You can send your complaint to: ccm@eircom.ie

We will acknowledge any complaints received by letter, fax or e-mail within two working days of receiving your complaint. We will provide you with your unique reference number and inform you of the length of time we expect it to take to investigate and resolve the complaint.

As the link is dead, maybe this will help some people voice their opinions :)

I was amazed. An acknowledgement the following morning, and a detailed response later the same evening. Anyone else hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

not yet :/

I think it was 5 days before I got a response..

Originally posted by Tizlox
    I think it was 5 days before I got a response..

Was your reply anything like the bit I quoted? If so, they've probably drafted a stenciled response. ;)

Nope,I was told that an official complaint would be lodged

Originally posted by Tizlox
    Nope,I was told that an official complaint would be lodged

My reply came as a result of my official complaint being lodged. Complaint was adressed by marketing:
    I refer to your recent complaint regarding eircom i-stream, eircom's ADSL
    service. You expressed dissatisfaction with the pricing and download limits
    set. I would like to respond to the issues you have raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I would say the two best ways is for EVERYONE to send them an email on the same day, if they got 100,000 emails on the same day at around the same time you might have a chance at bringing one of there servers down and i doubt they would like that.

As we know eircom dont seem to listen to phone calls so a server down they might listen to. Another way, which ive put forward before is another "Postcard Campaign". If everyone sent a postcard to eircom on the same day....they might take some notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If we took down a server, eircom would twist it and make it look like we're malicious little gits who should'nt be listened to (not that they do but...)

I don't get it though, eircom say that not many people on the trial went over 3GB per month. So why the hell do they need a cap?! "Nobody's abusing the service so lets make sure the f*ckers dont!" I don't understand it. If everyone on the trial was doing 10gigs a day then they'd need a cap (bigger than 3GB admittedly) but their reasoning for it just doesnt make sense.

Sent off a complaint anyway, see what happens.

Oh and a sticky with details for complaints would be a good idea, methinks.

Advertisement