Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet trademark infringement

Options
  • 08-05-2002 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Does anybody here know have a good grasp of the law regarding trademark and copyright infringement on the internet? Because somebody is threatening to sue me citing same. I'd rather not get into the details here but if anyone DOES know something about this could they pm me?
    Thanks very much...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

what did you take off another site? was it a pic? or code or something?

From what i understand of it if you take it without asking your ****ed,but i could be wrong. it may depend on what you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

What ever is created, it is copyrighted to the creator by default. They do not have to submit it to any copyright office like a patent.
    All programming is covered under litrature copyright law.
    Any specific questions you can pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by shotamoose
    Does anybody here know have a good grasp of the law regarding trademark and copyright infringement on the internet? Because somebody is threatening to sue me citing same. I'd rather not get into the details here but if anyone DOES know something about this could they pm me?
    Thanks very much...

Trademark infringement and copyright infringement are not the same thing. One relates to a registered trademark (one which may be registered in the US or outside the EU.) and the other relates to a created work (programming/website/text etc).

If someone has threatened to sue, have they cited the actual trademark registration number and the country of registration? As for the copyright, that is a whole different thing.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

As far as i know they cant copyright TEXT so therefor that would include HTML and SCRIPTS (correct me if im wrong). If its an image, product, program they can have copyright laws. depending on what it is you may be up the creak.

If its an image apologyse (is that right?) and remove the picture from the site...it may work. Im not too sure what it is so tell us and we will advise you on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

youre not right, books are copyrighted materials and theyre FULL of text, literally BURSTING with it.

(apologise is right btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

afaik it depends on how blatant it is. feel free to PM me the details and i'll have a look at the circumstances.

Remember
    • If they are threatening you ,make sure you get it in writing (snail mail, registered post if possible) and not e-mail or voice over the phone.
    • Keep all contact you get from them. Note dates and times and people's names.
    • Don't reply to them until you have talked to someone with some legal background.
    • Don't be bullied
    • Be Careful

also i have sent you a copy of this as a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Winters
    If its an image apologyse (is that right?) and remove the picture from the site...it may work. Im not too sure what it is so tell us and we will advise you on it.

Yup. Got accused of stealing images from some website a few years back and using them on a clients website. Being that the webmaster of the site was a yank they immediatly threatened legal action if I didnt remove the pictures. All this despite the fact that I had so much proof that these pictures were my own it would have knocked Matlock for six.

You can not be careful enough when dealing with this type of thing. Its not so bad when youre dealing with rational people who will allow you a set amount of time to remove any offending items but when yanks are concerned.... well.. weve all seen 'judge judy'

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

what about if some one takes your code and images changes it around a bit and says its there own can you do anything about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah but Crabor sounds l33ter.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

For Cr8or,
    Well you can, But i didn't cause too much paperwork involved
    I have a few sites, 2 are basically the same one for Ireland and one for the rest of the world.
    The second http://www.worldschoolphotographs.com when started off first was getting around 10,000 hits a day. delighted with myself and always checked it a few times a day to see if it was running ok. One day I typed in my address wrong www.worldschoolphotos.com and holy feic here is my site Identical from pictures to text I did a whois and only could find out who were hosting it, I complaind to them and they sent me a 10 page e-mail saying fill out that sir and then get back to us to see if we can do anything. I will in my boll*x
    The easy way out for me was to sign his guestbook everyday saying how much of a site stealing *****r he was.
    He didn't last long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement