Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Knackers In This City

Options
  • 08-05-2002 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

my phone has been stolen.... i am really at the f**kin last straw at this point. i used to love dublin. there was always such a buzz in the air.... like at those dublin castle gigs over the weekend. but this is the 5th phone to be stolen..... and its really pissing me off.... if i ever get my hands on the f**ker who stole i will break every bone in their body......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

The name cavegirl suits you. Did you ever consider that it is your own naivity and stupidity that has offered up 5+ opportunities to have your phone stolen? I suggest you get yourself some savvy if you're going to survive in this city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

5 times???!!!! Do you usually have a big sign over your head reading 'Steal my phone please'? Ah but seriously, hard luck and all that, but you'll be better off without a mobile, the most annoying, offensive and utterly needless invention of the 20th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

5 a them !thats terrible , i cannot live without mine for an hour .there some scumbags goin around the place , stealing stuff and the worst bit is they probably just stole it for the laugh and not because they need a fone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Cave_Girl, if you wanna get your back on the little w*nkers, next time make a note of your mobile's serial number. it's a 15 digit (I think) code that's stored on the phone. It's also written down somewhere in documentation you get with the phone.

Next one gets knicked? Contact the operator, give them that code, and they'll lock out the mobile itself, not just the simcard. Suddnely little knacker with baseball cap perfectly tilted at 45 degrees from their scalp has a 100+euro's worth of useless metal and composite plastics/circuitry.

If everyone did this, no one would bother knicking phones.

I realise that this is useless info for you right now (unless you have the phone's orignial documentation - in which case you can still f*ck the little knackers over).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

pointlessThread++

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

well jayzis what do you be doing with yer phone? how come mine's never got stolen and god knows i'm not a hermit?! how about keeping it close to your body for a change, and not juggle with it in temple bar at 2 a.m. during the weekend?

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

I sympathise with Cavegirl, I've had my bag and my wallet nicked loads of times, sometimes when they've been on my person as well - you're not going to argue with someone who has a weapon. I don't know the statisitics, but I have a feeling that these kind of petty crimes have increased in the Celtic Tiger era, since there's more to nick. But Dublin's always been full of scumbags.

there's still a difference between being threatened with a weapon and just acting dumb (not that i'm trying to imply the latter in cavegirl, but having five phones taken off you in succession does seem a bit weird...). when i had my purse stolen last year in galway i was immensly pissed off, not to mention that all my personal documentation, a lot of money and some irretrievable pesonal things were gone with it. but it would have been downright silly to complain about it, seeing that i had left it somewhere where it was bound to be stolen... btw - the crimerate in ireland has actually gone down over the past few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Originally posted by Lemming
    Contact the operator, give them that code, and they'll lock out the mobile itself, not just the simcard. Suddnely little knacker with baseball cap perfectly tilted at 45 degrees from their scalp has a 100+euro's worth of useless metal and composite plastics/circuitry.

No they won't.
    I tried, I tried all 3 operators in Feb 2001 when my 6210 was stolen and they ALL said they couldn't do it.
    Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Simple rule.
    Men - If you don't want your phone robbed, either keep it in your pocket, or take it with you every time you leave your table (even to only go get a drink/go to the jacks).

Women - Never leave your bag. Even if it's attended. People tend to have concentration spans of fish when they're drunk, so suddenly your trusted bag watcher is halfway across the pub chatting up some guy, and your bag is unattended. Take it with you when you leave the table. And just because it's on your arm, doesn't mean someone's not gonna rob something out of it. Keep it in front of you when queueing at the bar, not under your arm.

Simple. :)

Cave_girl, while I'm sorry you've lost over half a grand's worth of phones, you've obviously been leaving it sitting on the table with your drunk mates. Don't.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭crow

i had my hat stolen once, not just any old hat, this was a kick ass Indiana Jones style cowboy hat... some dirty menstrual fart stole it off my head, i chased him until he turned into 6 knackers threatening to kill me... so I'm with you cave girl, i say we start our own anti fúckhead organisantion, and start snapping limbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

What the hell do you people do with your stuff to have it nicked? I've gone around Amsterdam, London and Dublin. Three places people would consider pick-pocket city, and the only time I EVER had anything nicked was when I left my bag unattended, like a big eejit. Since then, nothing's been nicked. Even in Dublin. Even drinking. Even in gigs.

TIP. If you don't want your stuff nicked. Don't leave it lying around. Pointless thread.

AtlantaSuburb, do you need a sig that big (in dimensions and filesize) for any particular medical reason? No? Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

dirty menstrual fart

Now theres an insult .....excellent ! Have to try rememeber that one/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Lemming
    Cave_Girl, if you wanna get your back on the little w*nkers, next time make a note of your mobile's serial number. it's a 15 digit (I think) code that's stored on the phone. It's also written down somewhere in documentation you get with the phone.

that's correct Lemming, follow the instructions below and your serial number will come up - I don't know if the below works on all phones but it did on my Nokia

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following on your phone: star hash zero six hash as (*#06#)

A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset.

Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. Should your phone get stolen,you can phone your service provider and give them this code.

They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the Sim card your phone will be totally useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

RE: Blocking Phones

Phones usually have two main codes.

1. PIN Code: This is the code you put in when you turn on your phone.

Now, the operators CANNOT necessarily block a phone with a serial number. What you should do is enable the...

2. Security Code/Phonecode: this code usually comes into play if someone puts another SIM card into your phone. The phone asks for the security code, and if you dont know what it is, the phone is usless.

READ YOUR MANUALS. Your manual tells you all about these codes. If you dont have a manual, go to the manufacturer's website and request one. I used to sell phones, and the amount of people that came in that hadn't read manuals.. (especially bits about security features)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

oh yeah,

AtlantaSuburb...i hate your signature thing.

its large and annoying. I cant scroll down without seeing a bad picture of a sweaty greasy mulletman.

Who else hates it?

I like Darth Homers one though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by My name is Mud
    oh yeah,

AtlantaSuburb...i hate your signature thing.

its large and annoying. I cant scroll down without seeing a bad picture of a sweaty greasy mulletman.

Who else hates it?

I like Darth Homers one though

/me puts hand up to all of the above

Darth Homer's sig is class. You should have a little series and rotate them. This week, darth maul. Next week, Yoda, with green saber ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

2 things.. first.. what is Phantom FM and why is this thread in it?

Secondly i have bever had a phone stolen.. i LOST one once but never stolen... Negligence is the only way they can be stolen unless each of the 5 times you were actually MUGGED in which case you cant help that! Also its unlikely the people who stole it were infact knackers.. just scumbags!

As for blocking the phone... i believe they can but when you call and get an operator they dont have the knowledge to understand what your on about and so they say you cant do that when in fact they can if they want to!

• Advertisement

concerning my signature:

(a) yes, i do need it for medical reasons. mostly the spiritual presence of peter buck is the only thing that keeps me sane here.
    (b) you can say a lot of terrible things about peter buck i guess, but he has definitely never had a mullet in his whole 45 years, five months and three days of existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Hell you are seriously unlucky , once knew someone who had 4 playstations die on him, either blew up or died silently!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thats Either static electricity or interference cause by a solar flare (Good ole B@stard operator from hell!)

You are the BOFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i have to disagree with most of you here. i am lucky enough to only have ever had a bag stolen when i left it unattended, but how can you give out to someone for having their phone stolen? Ok fair enough if they're leaving it on tables when they're drunk and someone sees an oppurtinity (and really why should you get the blame for doing that when stealing is the thing thats morally wrong) it is a little bit silly to have it happen 5 times...but im sure that didnt happen to cave girl 5 times. Just a couple of weeks ago i saw a lady on thomas street waiting at the bus stop whilst talking on her phone. some scumbag on a bike cycled by her and grabbed the phone, and cycled off with it. its that easy to nick a phone

one of the girls from work came in and told us how she'd been on her way to work and a group of little 10 year old boys tried to grab her phone from her. thankfully, she managed to keep it and her bag, but when your caught unawares, how can you take responsibilty for that? its not possible to know what some thief is planning to do and plan somehting to counter that! the crime rate may have gone down, but mobile phone theft is definately on the rise, because it's so easy to do.

Originally posted by AtlantaSuburb
    concerning my signature:

(a) yes, i do need it for medical reasons. mostly the spiritual presence of peter buck is the only thing that keeps me sane here.
    (b) you can say a lot of terrible things about peter buck i guess, but he has definitely never had a mullet in his whole 45 years, five months and three days of existence.

exactly..im not too fond of it either but if she likes it then so what?
    all u have to do is scroll down and its gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

I would agree with you only I'm too busy snarling over your blonde-insulting sig.

Leaving stuff unattended is not the only way to get things stolen (I can't remember who said that, and I'm too lazy to go back and check). If you look 'posh', or vulnerable (i.e. as if you won't fight back) people will try and nick things from you , while you are still holding them whether they threaten you with a weapon or just run away - both have happened to me. On one occasion I was able to pull my bag back out of the grasp of a woman on the Berlin U-Bahn, on the other occasions I didn't get the things in question back. Once somebody nicked my bag from under my nose when I'd just sprained my ankle and couldn't run after them.

Originally posted by Lolo
    I would agree with you only I'm too busy snarling over your blonde-insulting sig.

JOKE!!!! i have (part) blonde hair!!!(blonde streaks).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Darth Homer's sig is class. You should have a little series and rotate them. This week, darth maul. Next week, Yoda, with green saber

Nah ... im happy enough with that one for now ! If i change it, it wont have much relevance to my username now will it ?

Oh and atlantasuburb, id recommend changing that sig , its way to big .... if you dont change it one of the admins will, there are rules regarding size ... looking for link .... bah, cant be bothered , but it is a rule.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm on my 5th sig now those mods have nicked the previous ones!

Advertisement