Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calling British premium rate numbers?

• 10-06-2001 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

I swear I've won a Porsche Boxster but I can't call the competetion line to claim my prise frown.gif

Is there any way to call premium rate numbers in England? When Irish people were calling into Big Brother - how did that work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

get yourself a copy of the telephone book smile.gif

it's usually like 00 44 NUMBER

if it's a 0800 number or a similar number then go

00 44 800 blehh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

tried that b4 posting - afaik you can't call premium rate numbers from abroad, so i was looking for a work-around

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Blitzkrieger if you won a Porsche Boxster as a 'GOLD' prize on one of them scratch cards you found in a magazine I wouldn't get too excited, their all a scam, I won 10,000 pounds nearly every time I scratched them, it's all a scam to get people to ring premium rate numbers and usually their only open to residents of mainland UK, have a read at the small print as to where it's valid. Either way don't get excited, even if you did manage to get through you'll probably find you infact won a boat trip to France from the UK or something crap like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

You cannot call premium rate numbers by placing 0044 in front of them. You can try some online net to phone setups like www.go2call.com, but Lorz is correct, they are almost all scams. Phone up costs you about £20 and you get a teddy bear, even though you think you are getting millions.

This one has an "endorsed by the magazine" thing on it, so it's probably a genuine competition. It'll probably will end up being a teddy bear or some other scam but I'd like to find out anyway.

• Advertisement

Well try that link above, I aint sure if it will allow you access to a premuim rate number.
    Other than that, there is no way to call them from here, unless you have a mobile phone and can gain coverage to a UK Network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Cant phone uk premium rate numbers from ere. Get somone you know to phone up that lives in the uk.

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Erm i get Star Trek rumours on my 087 mobile to a premium number (damn i can't believe i admitted that)in the uk smile.gif

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭[fist]Pi$$er

Blitzkrieger: Tell the truth, you want to phone those premium numbers u picked up in a phone booth when you were in London to make bookings you aren't gonna live up to. admit it.

a big EHHHH? going out to you Pi$$er smile.gif

I honestly do think I've won a Porsche Boxter frown.gif - though it probably will end up being a scam.

You can also claim by post but you have to send a first class stamp with it. I'm guessing an Irish stamp wouldn't do smile.gif I might try my mobile though.

• Advertisement

If you live in Dublin head out to Howth on a good day, you might get reception from the Isle of Man, if you are lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:

You can also claim by post but you have to send a first class stamp with it. I'm guessing an Irish stamp wouldn't do smile.gif
    </font>

Eh, for what? Are they going to send you the car in the post? A company that can afford to give these porsche thingys away shouldn't need you to pay for a 1st class stamp.
    Ah well, couldnt resist adding more inanity to this post.
    I do hope its for real though, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:
    a big EHHHH? going out to you Pi$$er smile.gif

I honestly do think I've won a Porsche Boxter frown.gif - though it probably will end up being a scam.

You can also claim by post but you have to send a first class stamp with it. I'm guessing an Irish stamp wouldn't do smile.gif I might try my mobile though.
    </font>

Get a ryanair flight for £50 squid and ring from london wouldn't take more than a day and it would be a nice outing for ya!

Yurma

It's a pretty standard competition - you need a claim code to claim your prize and they make their money from the premium rate number you have to call to get the code. It being England they have all sorts of rules governing competitions, so they are legally obliged to offer an alternative to the phone call. They want the stamp cos they're cheap *******s and won't pay to mail you a claim code. Then you have to send another stamp with the actual claim. confused.gif

I don't want to spend 50 squids to fly to england for two bloody stamps!! eek.gifsmile.gif There's also a good chance I'll end up with a scam prize not worth 50 squids.

Interesting thing about English competitions : you know the way they always have "no purchase necessary" printed on it? They are legally obliged to allow you to enter the competition free of charge, if you mail them and ask for an entry form. Of course they won't let you enter at their expense, so you have to include a stamp.

lol - how long have I been a Madame? You're confusing my sexuality! biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

You can dial UK premium rate numbers from here but it depends on what phone you are using (e.g. some mobile networks might not allow it and public payphones/private phones may have a bar on them).

If you try dialling 0044 9.....etc. and the call drops after you've dialled the first few numbers - then UK premium rate is barred from the phone you are using. Try someone else's phone! - biggrin.gif

If you still can't get through it may be because the comp is only open to 'UK residents' so the number is not accessible outside of the UK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Blitzkrieger, would I be right in guessing that it says on your ticket something to the effect of 'your prize is guaranteed to be worth considerably more than the cost of the call' and that your not told which prize you've actually won until you ring up the premium rate number, and that one of the 'gold' prizes is some sort of ferry tickets to France or a few nights stay in a Hotel, or some bull$hit travel vouchers.

This would be because they get these tickets dirt cheap or free to fill in spaces at off peak times, you'll find for example if you win ferry tickets that they have to be used at a certain time, or your free stay in some Hotel in the middle of nowhere will be subject to certain times only and to you dining in the Hotel each night which turns out to cost you a fortune anyway. Also '200 Pounds worth of holiday vouchers' will be for 1 particular package holiday which isn't selling for them because they overpriced it by 200 quid in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭FrEaK On A LeAsH

Blitz i got exactly the same scratchcard as u with 3 gold stars, on the back it says open to UK and Eire but they only give a UK claim number. When i ring the number with the 0044 **** i just get a busy tone 24/7 frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭FrEaK On A LeAsH

Blitz i got exactly the same scratchcard as u with 3 gold stars, on the back it says open to UK and Eire but they only give a UK claim number. When i ring the number with the 0044 **** i just get a busy tone 24/7. What is weird tho is i can get through to the Helpline number on the back which is also an English number and also no help

I'm kinda fully expecting it to be a scam. If I knew I had won a Porsche Boxster I'd be on a plane in a flash if that's what it took biggrin.gif

Their "multimedia PC" is probably a bottom of the range celeron with the ****est on-board graphics and sound worth about 25p.

Their holiday in spain\seychelles is probably in the middle of winter to the worst self-catering hovel imaginable.

Their video camera is probably a factory dud or some **** brand nobody's ever heard of with awful batteries, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement