Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable internet access in Ireland

• 13-06-2001 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I just made enquiries about cable net access through my cable company Chorus. fuc.king £6,500 per year! Because it isn't set up yet in this country I would have to 'lease a cable line' and can't use my existing T.V connection. Now I have to wait a few months to get DSL. The Yanks have had cable access for years now.

FUC.KING BACKWARD COUNTRY THIS IS.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

hold on, are you telling me they offered you a leased cable line for £6500, why didnt you get it, you know how much people pay for leased lines in dublin, for some kinda dsl.
    £22000 a year for a 2mb connection,

516k unlimited downloads leased line for 6500 a year is a steal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

first off Gladiator no such thing as a 516k connection its 512k .and geekboie never said a 512k leased line 4 6,500, u can get leased lines as slow as 64k and chorus offer T1 4 50,000 a year which i think its a bit much but hey its chorus

even eircom sell t1 at half that price,
    esat is probably the cheapest for leased lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    even eircom sell t1 at half that price,
    esat is probably the cheapest for leased lines
    </font>

Esat are slightly more expensive than Eircom, but are a better ISP. They also have better connectivity into the US than Eircom.net IMHO.

And you can't buy T1's in Europe rolleyes.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭cheeky_monkey

wot's the difference in speed between T1 & dsl??

ta

lol this is backward ****. I'm sick of shooting 10 feet in front of the enemy (and I still miss)

cheeky.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

T1s are only in north america, usually run over fibre and are 1.544Mbps.
    E1s are in europe and asia.. 2.048Mbps.

There are different types of DSL, they all run over standard phone lines (hence the Digital Subscriber Line), but the most common is ADSL. The speed of DSL is pretty much directly proportional to the distance between the end modem and the nearest exchange, but usually weighs in at about 1.5Mpbs at 18,000 feet downstream, rising to 8Mbps within a 1000 feet or thereabouts cant recall the upstream bandwidth, 256kbps i think, either way distance is the factor, although in most practical (commercial) implementations the bandwidth would be capped anyway so everyone gets the same.

T1 is a range of speed not a type of connection, so yes you can get t1 speeds in europe, but its called e1 as kali said,
    when i start to see cheap common 2mb links in ireland, then i call them E1 but as of this moment i only think of them as t1s

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 14-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

With one of them youd have more bandwidth than the entire island of ireland smile.gif

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

no not quiet, as far as i remember theres a 10gps network around cork airport

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 14-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Given enough storage space you could d/l the entire net! And then put it inside a little box and poke the nerds with a small stick.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

can you hear them scream "ouch","stop that","youre hurting me" etc etc.

we have been over this conversation too many times

irish internet access defined by a car
    2106.jpg

adnans

[This message has been edited by adnans (edited 14-06-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    holy hell, with one of them you could set up your own isp,</font>

Esat only have 800Mbps on International Connectivity, so you could probably set up about 20 ISPs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

That is some seriuos sh|t thats fúcking fast sh|t!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man:
    Esat only have 800Mbps on International Connectivity, so you could probably set up about 20 ISPs</font>

That is a rumour you started. I find it very hard to believe that esat have only 800mbps international capacity when I know they have 2 5gb undersea cables going to the uk.

Do you seriously think an isp could run all their business customers and home users off 800MBps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

connections which are equal to 1.536mbs or carry 24 digitized voice channels are t1 class, you can get t1`s in ireland,europe and most of the world.
    here are the rest of the LEASED-LINE bandwith classes:
    DS-0 64 kbps
    DS-1 or T1 1.544 Mbps
    DS-1 3.15 Mbps
    DS-2 6.312 Mbps
    DS-3 or T3 44.736 Mbps
    OC-1 51.840 Mbps
    OC-3 155.530 Mbps
    DS-4 274.100 Mbps
    M560 560.000 Mbps
    OC-48 2,488.32 Mbps
    OC-192 9,953.28 Mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

hmmm they actualy got the OC192 released. When I first heard about the OC connections (about 2 years ago) from a guy I know in AT&T in the states the 192 was a request from the US Government hhmmm now that would be nice to have in your house smile.gif

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

holy hell, with one of them you could set up your own isp,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

if they couldnt handle it they'd have to drop some of their heavy customers....oh.. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

planetarion is run off either a 2gb or 1gb line @ chello.
    mechwars runs off a 1gb line.
    didnt ireland buy a ****load of bandwidth for all these irish e-hubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Acous:
    if they couldnt handle it they'd have to drop some of their heavy customers....oh.. smile.gif</font>

Your confusing Esat Fusion with Esat Business now. They are different companies with different resources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kayos:
    hmmm they actualy got the OC192 released. When I first heard about the OC connections (about 2 years ago) from a guy I know in AT&T in the states the 192 was a request from the US Government hhmmm now that would be nice to have in your house smile.gif
    </font>

read an article last summer about a company who were offering hundred-terabit connections in the manhattan area

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snaga:
    That is a rumour you started. I find it very hard to believe that esat have only 800mbps international capacity when I know they have 2 5gb undersea cables going to the uk.

Do you seriously think an isp could run all their business customers and home users off 800MBps?
    </font>

It's not a rumour I started, it was in the Sunday Business Post a few weeks ago.

Advertisement