Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

generic cd rom drivers

Options
  • 09-05-2002 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

i'm just after changing the motherboard on my pc. The problem is now it won't recognice my cd-rom. are there generic cd rom drivers for dos and win98 that i can get anywhere and install from a floppy?

another funny thing that happened is that it didn't recognise my graphics card untill i put in my second stick of ram. not a problem now thats its working, just curious as to why? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Generic (and specific) DOS Drivers here:

http://pacosdrivers.com/cd.asp (see link just under ad).

As for Windows not picking up your drive, did you try "Add/Remove Hardware" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

have you any exclamation marks in device manager? also in performence tab have you anyything like the following in the white box?

Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance

Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system
    Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system

if so go into msconfig (start - run - msconfig - press ok)

then tick selective startup and take the tick out of process autoexec.bat and config.sys , press apply,ok and restart.. see what happens..
    Reason being the compatablity mode can be cause be real mode dos drivers!

If that does not work check in device manager for exclamation marks on the hard disk controllers.. if so then co into properties of the main controller.. (probably Intel something on your mobo) then in settings set it to both channels enabled, say ok and reboot!

As a last resort (or first.. does not matter either way) boot to a command prompt and type:
    fdisk /mbr

reboot!

see thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50776
    has the info i posted there for another prob but same fixes apply sometimes so thats why im reposting them for this one.
    As for your question, generic cdrom drivers are built into windows and you should NEVER have to isntall them.

One other thing.. if you installed a new mobo but did not reinstall windows it may not be picking up the right controller and thats why no cdrom seen! you probably got chipset drivers on your new mobo.. on cd probably.. so install them if you did not do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

There are a few exclamation marks alright but most of those are for the onboard sound+vid that i've turned off and haven't installed drivers for and for the pci-isa bridge that isn't on the new borad.
    There is no exclamation marks on the hd controllers and it picks up primary and secondry hard drives fine.

You're might be right Saruman about windows not picking up the right controllers. The board i installed is based on the 815 chipset and the old one was a 440bx chipset.

will print out all ye said and give it a whirl when i get home, Cheers!

Thanks TmB, have been looking for a site like that for ages.

incidently, if i put my old mb back in will it still work ok or have i fúked up my whole system?? the old one was rock solid :(

do that scruff...
    as for putting in your old mobo.. dont do that.. if its a windows prob no picking up the right chipsets etc then you will confuse poor windows even more! I always find the best thing to do before changing a mobo is wo remove pci pridge and all peripherals like sound, video etc.. before you shut down and replace the board, that way windows is forced to pick them up when you boot back up!

The intel 815 sometimes leaves something in other devices saying "pci managment bus" or something like that.. if so thats definatly not picking up your chipset drivers..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by Saruman
    As a last resort (or first.. does not matter either way) boot to a command prompt and type:
    fdisk /mbr

What exactly is the point of this when he can boot into Windows and it's the CD-ROM that is not working?

Gav

man, I'm turning into logic.

• Advertisement

Verb the point of that is if he had exclamation marks on his disk controllers then that is one option that can resolve it.. trust me it works i have done it many times!

i have a spare hd at home. i think i'll use the cdrom dos drives from the site TmB provided and install windows from scratch on to it as as test run.

probably should have done that first :rolleyes:
    especially since my windows wasn't the healthiest over the last few weeks and i've been humming and hawing about the hassle of reinstalling it to begin with...:rolleyes:

scruff... get windows installed.. get it working perfectly on the spare hard drive then either use norton Ghost and make a clone cd (if you have a burner) so you dont have to have hassle in future installing.. Or clone the second hdd onto the other one and keep one hdd as a backup..

rightoh, confirmed, going with a clean windows install.

(didn't like the way it kept crahing while playing Return to castle wolfenstein either).

at least it'll keep me off the streets this weekend. :)

cheers lads

hahaha! master\slave jumper settings ho, ho ho.....:o :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement