Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a problem with CTYI (the organisation)

Options
  • 09-05-2002 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

CTYI is yet another scheme in Ireland that keeps the rich rising and the poor way down low.

The fact of the matter is that as a child I was a serious over-achiever, excelled in numerous tests and SATs, and was invited to CTYI every year for 6 years. However, my family were, quite frankly, much too poor for me to be able to afford to go (even on a weekend course) and so it was something that I seriously missed out on.

This isn't a sob story. I've had a great life. However, there were eight years when my father was suffering as a result of an injury and was unemployed. We had absolutely no money whatsoever. Surely only wealthy children shouldn't get these types of benefits?

In the US if you are a high achiever there are scholarship systems, for everything.

Oh yes, I know about the CTYI scholarships, but if any of you have ever achieved one, then you will know that only 50% of your fees are paid, even if you are in the top 5 child-prodigies in the country. And then you need spending money and food money and so on on top of that. So the scholarships are a bit of a joke.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

i guess it's a private enterprise so they just do their best with the resources they have.
    but it's certainly not ideal, I totally agree.
    xd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

and i guess that different countries have different perspectives on high acheiving. you'd have to say that for all the scholarships, it's pretty scary to have a country so hell-bent on individual achievement ..

mind you, i don't seem to be able to spell acheivement right now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Aisling

I agree that CTYI should definately have full scholarships but you have to remember that it has to make profits and essentially operates like any other summer camp, yet you wouldn't expect a scholarship to Irish college or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

I *think* (but I could be wrong) that you can contact CTYI for financial assistance if you can't afford to pay. But if you can't then you should be able to. Something like this shouldn't be restricted to the wealthy.

}:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Actually... there are two types of scholarships. Academic and social (there's a better term but i forget it). Basically one has you awarded for acheiving amazing scores, while the other has some of your fees paid for you, cause you can't afford it otherwise.

Personally, I've never had either, although going there has left my parents a bit strapped for cash (i'm not going into how they can afford for this summer and next year in institute, but lets just say that they won't have any over for college). Thing is, I haven't been abroad but once (portugal and soon the states =) ) and I never go places or anything so... I dunno... I guess that might've helped.

But yeah, there are a lot of well-offs there. But it's a sad fact that they're not government funded so it can't be helped. They have to pay to use the DCU facilities and their staff. It's not a profit organisation, but it isn't a voluntary one either - there's far too much work involved!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by neuro-praxis
    CTYI is yet another scheme in Ireland that keeps the rich rising and the poor way down low.

The fact of the matter is that as a child I was a serious over-achiever, excelled in numerous tests and SATs, and was invited to CTYI every year for 6 years. However, my family were, quite frankly, much too poor for me to be able to afford to go (even on a weekend course) and so it was something that I seriously missed out on.

This isn't a sob story. I've had a great life. However, there were eight years when my father was suffering as a result of an injury and was unemployed. We had absolutely no money whatsoever. Surely only wealthy children shouldn't get these types of benefits?

In the US if you are a high achiever there are scholarship systems, for everything.

Oh yes, I know about the CTYI scholarships, but if any of you have ever achieved one, then you will know that only 50% of your fees are paid, even if you are in the top 5 child-prodigies in the country. And then you need spending money and food money and so on on top of that. So the scholarships are a bit of a joke.

Any thoughts on this?

For once Neuro I couldn't agree more with you. I scored highest in my school on every IQ and SAT test I sat but couldn't afford to go. I probably wouldn't have went even if I could afford it but regardless the fact of the matter is there are a hell of alot of poor talented kids who never get the opportunity to go simply because their parents simply aren't wealthy enough and don't give me the "Oh my parents only have two cars and we only holiday twice a year" story because real poverty is about worrying how you're gonna pay for school books or have to work because your mother can't afford a school uniform.

Also there's an element of snobbery involved maybe not in CTYI but definately in school, I know in my school only the rich kids like Doctors sons and Lawers sons were even told that they had the opportunity to go.

Bit of a joke if you ask me.

.logic.

Um... ok. I don't have the not being able to afford school books stuff, cause we had some real good years here (although we may soon reach that stage)... but yeah, i can understand. I know someone who was in that situation who managed to get in (can't remember who it was though). Although that may have been through other people sponsoring him too. As I've already said here, I think that ex-ctyiers and even people who are still going should set up a fund to help pay for those who can't quite afford it themselves. Of course it won't cover the entire cost, but it'll help whoever can make best use of it...

So? Again I ask, anyone want to make one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I agree that it's a pity that there aren't better schemes, the only thing i'd disagree with is the idea that its only doctor's/lawyor's children that go - it's not.

It's not open to everyone due to the costs, but there are some supports there to help with that, i dont know how recently they were put into place or what, but i do know one or two people who had a lot of financial support going.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

logic agrees with me?!

*neuro falls over

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Mahotée

i agree that going to ctyi shouldnt be so dependent on having that amount of money. hopefully some form of government funding will be made available to it soon. but i dont think it would affect your life hugely. its just a summer camp. i went, i made some good friends, i had fun, but i flatter myself to think i could have done that without attedning nerd camp.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Well how about this.
    This is an honest idea.
    When we should get a fund started.
    Talk to the people at CTYI and let them know our idea.
    If i was wealthy enough i would donate a large sum of money but if we got what a €5 off of people who were interested or however much they could manage and off what 200 people?That's a grand.
    At least 2/3 people could get in commuting on that?
    no?

Seriously. just think about it...

But to be honest Kate making friends and having phun is one thing. It's not CTYI though.
    I dunno. I still think if id not gone to CTYI i would have missed out on one of the sole biggest influences on my life.
    I think of all the people i might never have met.
    Sure you're an example.
    We wouldn't have started talking to each other at that irish course if we had not recognised each other from CTYI.
    remember?
    And Ailbhe, my girlfriend. I doubt i would have EVER met her if i had not been at CTYI.
    I think you get my drift...
    No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

my daddy is the local GP and he knows bertie....that's how i got in.*

*may not be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Smiley

I agree that people who are considerably more wealthy than others should not have an unfair advantage as regards access to CTYI. My family is struggling to get me to CTYI this year and it is killing me. I went last year and it was a great and I would love to do it again this year, only for the fact that finances are low.

And as regards the amount you pay...where does it all go?? And that's a genuine question.

Stay tuned...

Mike...

I think that it costs something like £23 a day for a room in the res (or that's something like what was quoted to me last year)...

Plus there's the canteen food (ok... ok... BIG debate was had there)...

Plus there's tuition fees...

Paying the TAs and RAs...

Paying for use of campus facilities.

Paying the office staff.

Paying for the SATs to be prepared and graded.

Etc.

And what's over goes towards promoting CTYI and general acceptance of talent across the country (an example would be via the science bus)...

So no matter what flaws, it can't be denied that it IS a good cause at least. Sure it's a bit exclusive right now, but the science bus visits most schools and makes kiddies that bit more interested in science... which is good.

What's needed is government funding (not a grant like the one that was used to help buy the bus).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Mahotée

Originally posted by halenger
    We wouldn't have started talking to each other at that irish course if we had not recognised each other from CTYI.
    remember?

but i talked to everyone in the irish course. im still in touch with rob as much as i am with you. youre going to meet people whatever you do.

Ah yes Kate but that's because of CTYI too remember??
    Rob knew of CTYI and what it was etc and he had wanted to go.
    Im not saying that we WOULDN'T have talked but to be honest i probably would have been a lot quieter and not talked to anybody much...
    I've always been more confident with CTYIers than i have with anyone else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I think the fund idea is an excellent one. At least then the next generation of CTYIers might have a bash at it, even if their folks can't afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Aisling
    I agree that CTYI should definately have full scholarships but you have to remember that it has to make profits and essentially operates like any other summer camp, yet you wouldn't expect a scholarship to Irish college or something.

Actually both my sister and I got scholarships to go to Irish college through my father's union (siptu).

It's not a secret - all children of a parent who's a member are eligible. Just a matter of applying and going for interview.

They also do a scholarship for kids who do well in their Junior Cert and Leaving Cert. It was something like £400 a year for the Junior Cert (both my sister and I got it) - it runs for the two years to Leavbing (maybe it runs for three now, I don't know). The scholarship for college is something like £5000 a year if you're living away from home.

When we got it, there were 50 scholarships based on Junior Cert results and five based on Leaving Cert.

May be of use to some of you gifted kiddies - any SIPTU office should be able to give details on either (I'd say you would be in before the closing date for all schemes if you applied now).

Something like this organised by some trade union would be of a great advantage to some people. Don't know who would be the person to contact so can't be of much help there.

Yes that's true alright.
    I got a scholarship to Irish college thru SIPTU also...

We'll sort it out somehow, someday....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Christine

I think that the scholarship system is a little unfair. I won a scholarship in 2000 and a bursary this year and frankly, I don't think that you should be able to get two. If they awarded them to more people, then there would be more people able to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

i think schools could do more,too.i mean,mine and fio's school give money for those going-i got 200 euro this year.yay my school!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Wow... in my school only one teacher even knew that CTYI existed...

}:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Cait

yeah, i think only one teacher in my school knows about ctyi aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

We don't get any sort of grants or scholarships to CTYI in my school, and only a couple of teachers in my school know about CTYI, but they are reasonably important teachers. :)

Feargal (Close) is a science and maths teacher in my school, he was really bang on and I had him for science in first year but now we sorta hate each other -- so CTYI this year should be fun with him as site director.

Seán (O'Ceileachair) was an irish and CSPE teacher in my school, but he left in June 2001 to become the Director of CTYI whilst Sheila was on maternity leave. Seán was my mentor / tutor when I was in first year and he has done more for me than every other teacher I have ever had combined, he is one of the soundest, nicest, coolest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. The man is a personal friend, a family friend, a mentor, a teacher and a good person. Believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I also think that another really bad thing about CTYI is that it is not just the best in the country because i could name 3 people in my year who are definatley smart enough but never heard about the place, i think that all the schools should be informed about ctyi and made tell all the students because i wonder wheter or not i would have qualified for CTYI if all of the smarter half of the country was actually tested, ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by SOL
    I also think that another really bad thing about CTYI is that it is not just the best in the country because i could name 3 people in my year who are definatley smart enough but never heard about the place, i think that all the schools should be informed about ctyi and made tell all the students because i wonder wheter or not i would have qualified for CTYI if all of the smarter half of the country was actually tested, ?

All secondary schools *are* told about it... :)

just most of the schools dump it.

<< Fio >>

MY school didn't know about it until I asked for the reference thing... My current principle is pretty interested in it though.

But today was my last day in that school and i'm going to institute next year. YAY!

Advertisement