Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discriminatory adverts on MTV

• 09-05-2002 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen those adverts on MTV with "****" and "Dyke" graffitti being changed to "Proud 2 B A ****" and "Proud 2 B A Dyke".

They claim the adverts are fighting discrimination, but surely this implies a connection between homosexuality and the inability to spell simple words like "to" and "be". :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Er you are joking, aren't you?

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Everyone knows that homosexuals can't spell.

(in case people can't understand sarcasm, that was a joke right there)

I think these ads are just stupid. So the guy's proud to be a fag (that's what it says). So what? I mean, if he was proud of being an astronaut or something, but what's so special about being gay?

Seriously? I don't go around saying "I'm PROUD to be straight" because it's nothing to be proud of. It's like saying "I'm PROUD to have green eyes".

I particularly don't like the retarded way the guy bobs his head after the modification to the graffiti... the "oh, yeah, owned" head bob for something that was most certainly not ownage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Talliesin
    They claim the adverts are fighting discrimination, but surely this implies a connection between homosexuality and the inability to spell simple words like "to" and "be". :)
    PROUD TO BE PEDANTIC
    Originally posted by JustHalf
    but what's so special about being gay?
    A greater understanding and appreciation of interior decoration? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Everyone knows that homosexuals can't spell.

(in case people can't understand sarcasm, that was a joke right there)

I think these ads are just stupid. So the guy's proud to be a fag (that's what it says). So what? I mean, if he was proud of being an astronaut or something, but what's so special about being gay?

Seriously? I don't go around saying "I'm PROUD to be straight" because it's nothing to be proud of. It's like saying "I'm PROUD to have green eyes".

I particularly don't like the retarded way the guy bobs his head after the modification to the graffiti... the "oh, yeah, owned" head bob for something that was most certainly not ownage.

I think you are missing the point though, from what i have seen the ad is not promoting homosexuality, it is condemming racism. A fine line between the two alright but i don't believe it was crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Neil3030
    from what i have seen the ad is not promoting homosexuality, it is condemming racism.

Unless you believe that gay people are a seperate race, I dont understand how it could be making any comment on racism.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by Neil3030
    I think you are missing the point though, from what i have seen the ad is not promoting homosexuality, it is condemming racism. A fine line between the two alright but i don't believe it was crossed.
    I don't think it's promoting homosexuality. I think it's "condeming" bigotry by being retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

In my opinion, racism is allowing our prejudice to be aimed at a particular minority of people purely on the fact that they are a member of a minority. So the ad is aimed at racism in that sense. I can't remember the wording they use at the end of the ads. Do they mention racism or prejudice or discrimination or wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

the "oh, yeah, owned" head bob

lol :D

Seriously though, I don't see the purpose of the advert, what it achieves or what it's meant to achieve. The guy's gay, so what? Where's my "proud to be straight" advert? Discrimination, my foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Isnt it a little stupid the way they let gays call themselves faggots on MTV and yet black rappers have the word n****r censored out of their videos:confused:
    Though MTV owned VH1 censors the word **** out of the pogues fairytale of new york.Which deepens the confusion:confused:
    MTV are rehabs in general anyway i might add.

Advertisement