Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Regulatory Framework

Options
  • 09-05-2002 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I take it we are familar with the European Regulatory Framework ???

The study 'Monitoring European Telecoms Operators: Final Report ' page 232 makes very interest reading ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Thanks for the link, I was in with the DoPE last Friday covering a lot of this material with them, and investigating how far the IRish transposition has got. I've submitted a report for clearance with them and will post it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Anything I can do to help just let me know, I can even cope with trailing through large heaps of documentation.

One of my concerns (as I remember), would be the language used by the European Regulatory Framework only says that flat-rate net access should be incouraged, it doesn't actually set in stone that is should be provided by the incumbant telcom company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

This is our fear, we are concerned that flat rate is not mentioned but alluded to. We also need clarification to clear up the haziness that surrounds a FRIACO (flat rate) type offering being labled a "special network access" product, opposed to an "interconnect" offering.

Capacity based charging will need a heads up also. In the Acees Directive (Directive 2002/19/EC) Articles 9 section 1 & 2 should be noted they read......

1. National regulatory authorities may, in accordance with the provisions of Article 8, impose obligations for transparency in relation to interconnection an/or access, requiring operators to make public specified information, such as acccounting information, technical specifications, network characteristics, terms and coniditions for supply and use, and prices.

2. In particular where an operator has obligations of non-discrimination, national regulatory authorites may require that operator to publish a reference offer, which shall be sufficiently unbundled to ensure that undertakings are not required to pay for facilities which are not necessry for the service requested, giving a description of the relevant offerings broken down into components according to market needs, and the associated terms and conditions including prices. The national regulatory authority shall, inter alia, be able to impose changes to reference offers to give effect to obligations imposed under this Directive.

Not to get too bogged down but Article 12 is pretty useful for capacity based charging to be hung on.....

Article 12

1. A national regulatory authority may, in accordance with the provisions of Article 8, impose obligations on operators to meet reasonable requests for access to, and use of, specific network elements and associated facilities, inter alia in situations where the national regulatory authority considers that denial of access or unreasonable terms and conditions having a similar effect would hinder the emergence of a sustainable competitive market at the retail leve l, or would not be in the end-user's interest.

Lets just hope that our bright shiny new national regulatory authority has the vision this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

.....surely not the one we Discussed Here and got bored with?

M

Advertisement