Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Almera or Rover ??

• 09-05-2002 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Guys have a choice between a Nissan Almera Sport 99 and a 414 Rover 99 (with the rover engine).

Now I dont know my stuff on cars , and looking for your opinion on reliability, performance etc - cast your votes , want to see what the general thought on the matter is - cheers.

Which car would be better ?? 17 votes

Nissan Almera
    0% 0 votes
    414 Rover
    100% 17 votes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 speedyboy

Rovers are fairly notorios for being unreliable so i'd say the almera is a better buy not a very exciting car though! www.carsurvey.org and look for yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

A friend has a similar Almera and my god the acceration sux. ****in hate when ya gotta pass out anything cos it takes so ****in long. Still prefere it over the rover tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

ya gideon and that almera is made even suckier by all the dents along the side. i hear the owner has grey hair from all the car crashes hes been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Both of these motors are pretty naff..rovers have poor reliability and BAD residual values m8...nissans are..well...grannys cars..never brakdown/poor proformance/great residual value..i'd buy the rover n get the engine remapped for a bit of poke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

to be honest i wud not go for either!
    how much money do ya have to mess about it,im sure we cud get something else.Wot age are ya,for insurance purposes and that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Originally posted by Illkillya
    ya gideon and that almera is made even suckier by all the dents along the side. i hear the owner has grey hair from all the car crashes hes been in.

you some quakin guy?

anyhew, some more insider info for ya... those dents have been all fixed up so its streamlined heh heh. does 60mph in mmmm, not too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Thats grand lads, just looking for a general opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'd go for the rover,

the almera is ultra-dull, I think the rover has some little bit of style about it. but rovers have poor residuals, and the k series can be quite good at blowing cylinder head gaskets, and the water pump is a wear and tear item in some of em.

but the engines are quite lively for a 1.4

John

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

**** em both, Theyre bot crap, I drive a Rover 620 and it has given me nothing but trouble. As for parts, they have to come from England so they cost a fortune.

I would love one of those rover 25 style MG yokes, think they look class.

Chief.

Originally posted by Chief---
    **** em both, Theyre bot crap, I drive a Rover 620 and it has given me nothing but trouble. As for parts, they have to come from England so they cost a fortune.

That's cos it's 8 years old with 130,000 miles on it. Get a new car ya bum :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Still goes like a rocket.....

And the chicks love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TopGun

Man I have driven both cars, and to be totally honest the Almera is the better car, Rover brakes arent worth the box the come in. Almera parts are alot easier to find and cheaper to modify.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

almera will go around the clock x amountt of times-
    what do you want to use the car for..?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sad, very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jf_cole

Originally posted by The Duke
    Rover
    stick with the English and you'll do fine.

If you just want to look at it. Otherwise budget for a head gasket change every 30,000 miles.

Almera will run and run, rover will run, breakdown, take a week off and then run again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Funny you should mention the head gasket, my MGF has an engine based on rovers 1.8 k-series, 1.1, 1.4 and 1.6 versions are in most rover cars, and it went pop round 29,000 miles.

Turns out the K-Series is very prone to Head Gasket Failure.

The rover looks better, the nissan is better. Stick with the jap car.